CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Isn't snipedown having issues with packet loss at the moment?  If he still is and the collision information never made it to the server, nothing 343 can do about that.

and yeah I know thats not logical AT ALL im just a shill,  blah blah blah.

I would think that packet loss issues wouldve created more skipping...but watching again after that second rocket is fired the auto reload seems to kick in and it looks like no ammo was used. it goes 3 reserve with 2 in chamber -> 3 reserve with 1 in chamber -> 3 reserve with 2 in chamber. maybe it didnt register the change since the game ended but it give some credibility to packet loss

• Upvote (+1) 1

It could. Snipedown starts experiencing packet loss, his twitter becomes constant complaints about connection and weird shit happening. Coincidence? no.

Look, im not saying 343's servers dont need some work, obviously they do, but its entirely possible that this has nothing to do with 343 at all, so lets not crucify them when there are other perfectly logical and not unlikely situations.

We have enough totally legit complaints to hit them with.

A rocket exploding without doing any damage isn't a legit complaint?

This isn't what packet loss looks like. I think it was the geometry issues that have plagued rockets on colesium since launch

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would think that packet loss issues wouldve created more skipping...but watching again after that second rocket is fired the auto reload seems to kick in and it looks like no ammo was used. it goes 3 reserve with 2 in chamber -> 3 reserve with 1 in chamber -> 3 reserve with 2 in chamber. maybe it didnt register the change since the game ended but it give some credibility to packet loss

This is what packet loss looks like ^.  Fired rockets with refunded ammunition...??

A rocket exploding without doing any damage isn't a legit complaint?

This isn't what packet loss looks like. I think out was the geometry issues that have plagued rockets on colesium since launch

And you can't say "this isn't what packet loss looks like", packet loss can look like anything. How it presents is all dependent on how local vs server processed data is presented, confirmed, packet loss severity, etc etc etc.  There is of course a complaint here, that shouldn't happen, but should that complaint be targeted toward 343 or the ISP, or somewhere in between?  We dont know and considering his internet problems lately, its less likely this is actually a 343 problem than many of the other issues that we see.  There are plenty of things to bitch to 343 about, including server issues, but given the context this smells a whole lot more like a "hate on 343 cuz its cool" reaction than an actual, legit complaint.

This is what packet loss looks like ^. Fired rockets with refunded ammunition...??

And you can't say "this isn't what packet loss looks like", packet loss can look like anything. How it presents is all dependent on how local vs server processed data is presented, confirmed, packet loss severity, etc etc etc. There is of course a complaint here, that shouldn't happen, but should that complaint be targeted toward 343 or the ISP, or somewhere in between? We dont know and considering his internet problems lately, its less likely this is actually a 343 problem than many of the other issues that we see. There are plenty of things to bitch to 343 about, including server issues, but given the context this smells a whole lot more like a "hate on 343 cuz its cool" reaction than an actual, legit complaint.

Packet loss cant "look like anything". How it looks like is dependent on what elements are predicted locally and which ones dont present themselves until after a handshake with the server.

That said, I didn't notice the refunded ammo, and can't make out 2s or 3s in the reserves due to grainy video. So fair point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah video quality is shit so it was hard to see at first

so first shot is eaten it lands right as the opponent's feet

uohYcCQ.png

second i cant tell if it goes through boulder or not but it lands by sneaky behind the opponent. may just be a bad shot?

vTdYUAV.png

so it looks like 3 in reserve though it may be 2 but its clear that reload doesnt take reserve to 0 or 1

XQj5yca.png

could be a reload glitch like fuel rod in fall finals

• Upvote (+1) 2

Packet loss cant "look like anything". How it looks like is dependent on what elements are predicted locally and which ones dont present themselves until after a handshake with the server.

That said, I didn't notice the refunded ammo, and can't make out 2s or 3s in the reserves due to grainy video. So fair point.

lol sorry thats what i was trying to say but poorly.  Refunded ammo is more what i would "Expect" it to look like, but of course thats still not a guarantee.

So TL was playing without Rayne last night.

I'm guessing its someone from Ronin, Str8 or Luminosity as they didnt scrim last night.

TL Saiyan
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Everyone would like to be t1- but that isn't going to happen overnight- especially not on a console exclusive.

Looking at Gears: it's just a top 30 game, with the only notable base on Xbox one- yet it still has admirable participation for esports orgs, and viewership that seems disproportionately high compared to the popularity of the game itself.

It seems that the coalition and MLG have carved a niche audience out of Gears' population that invests a large amount of time and $ into the game- making continued investment worthwhile. This reality bodes well if they can figure out how to make the franchise more popular overall. Its notable that they don't seem to be scaling back for season 2.

Agree, basically Halo could be like Gears but with ~30k more viewers given the franchise's higher popularity.  

I see the peak for Halo as like a solid t2 esport; if H6 launches as a complete game and they fix the aiming etc., the esports scene could actually do really well, but we'll never, ever, ever be as big as Dota 2 or LoL (not that this is a problem)  

Agree, basically Halo could be like Gears but with ~30k more viewers given the franchise's higher popularity.

I see the peak for Halo as like a solid t2 esport; if H6 launches as a complete game and they fix the aiming etc., the esports scene could actually do really well, but we'll never, ever, ever be as big as Dota 2 or LoL (not that this is a problem)

Actually, I think Halo would probably have improved upon 2016 Worlds viewership had it utilized a structure similar to Gears. More AM/grassroots participation, more org participation, and more international exposure --> More social media presence and more viewership.

You're right, it would never be as big as those massive pc games, but it coulda been pretty damn big.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Actually, I think Halo would probably have improved upon 2016 Worlds viewership had it utilized a structure similar to Gears. More AM/grassroots participation, more org participation, and more international exposure --> More social media presence and more viewership.

You're right, it would never be as big as those massive pc games, but it coulda been pretty damn big.

I mean look at the quality of orgs in HWC plus the EU/NA qualifiers (We had Fnatic and DIG in EU and OpTic Gaming in MLG NA) and look at us now. 

I mean look at the quality of orgs in HWC plus the EU/NA qualifiers (We had Fnatic and DIG in EU and OpTic Gaming in MLG NA) and look at us now. 

oh ur premium now

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can only imagine.... we would definitely be in a much better place.  only getting ~40 am teams per tournament is so sad.

Cmon, Josh! Your a stats guy...

No survey needs 20k responses to be representative.. (even though this survey would suffer from selection bias)

I bet he is compensating for said bias.

Depending on what you consider a reasonable definition of "representative", he's basically suggesting that 60-100K unique players are still involved with the FFA playlist.

I know this might be controversial... but I don't think 60-100K unique players are still involved with the FFA playlist.

Agreed, but I wonder if he's looking at total players not consistent players. You're gonna care less about the settings if you jump in for anything from 1-10 games a seasons compared to someone who grinds ffa

So TL was playing without Rayne last night.

I'm guessing its someone from Ronin, Str8 or Luminosity as they didnt scrim last night.

LatestMedusa610's service tag is RYAN.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The first part of this tweet scared me.

PJ mentioned team changes during his stream yesterday as well but wouldn't drop any  :intel:

Excited to see what team changes might happen.

• Upvote (+1) 1