CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'll be surprised if Contra isn't on a pro roster.

Probably going to Str8, Danoxide is getting dropped for sure.

Could someone post a video or clip of the "disconnect"? I see you guys are saying it looks suspicious so I would love to check it out.

Regarding the CE stuff I just wish at the very least we could support each others games. They are pretty different and I don't see much overlap ever taking place. (major props to King Nick)  It's not just CE but all games in our series. Our entire history consists of us liking one game and hating on the rest and that's never healthy for a community. 

CE is not like Melee, but then again nothing is. It's the closest game I would compare it to in terms of it being a LAN game that requires little equipment, has a low skill floor and very high skill ceiling. While everyone in the CE scene would love some big revival or resurgence, almost none believe anything will happen. I talked with a good number of people at the recent VA Beach LAN and many feel there's too many issues that prevent us from having any significant revival like Smash. A major issue among others is the community itself. (the niche H1 community) Everyone has mostly known each other for a decade and it's a cesspool of trash talk and inside jokes that look awful to any newcomer. Every community has this but when it's small it's much more detrimental. 

I believe a little bit more than the rest of those guys. After all, none of them really expected to be where we are currently.

• Neutral Host (No more Host Advantage)
  • New Maps
  • Playable In-Game Training Mode
  • Functioning "warm up" Bot Match on Priz
  • Invited to HCS Daytona, played with old and current pro's and even 343 staff.
  • $4,000 Beach LAN 5 tournament
  • $1,500 EsportsArena Tournament
  • $500 So-Cal Tournament
  • BL5 / BL5.5 / VA Winter LAN/ VA Beach LAN/ Indy LAN/ St Louis LAN/Co2LAN were major LANs with tons of other locals.
  • A high % of the competitive community and 343 have at least heard of Beach LAN.

Compare this to just a couple years ago and I think we are in a pretty good spot. A lot of this is due to the fact that Beach LAN is a major event, but more importantly was supported by the Halo community and not just the CE community. We had a few 343 guys and pros tweet out the stream, but had vetoed, kampy, snipedown and lethul host us at various times. Snipedown and Lethul brought essentially record high numbers for a Halo CE LAN.

One last thing that gets me is that it's sad seeing no other scenes out there. Maybe I'm just out of the loop. I know of a group that still plays Halo 2 but it's online. Same with Halo 3. These were huge games and it amazes me there are no LAN scenes for those games, unless Brutus is still hosting. /ramble

yeah honestly theres zero reason why we shouldnt be lanning h2/h3 - they arent as plug and play as h1 but still

If I'm Str8, I'm doing everything in my power to trade Danoxide to Ronin for Spartan.

They just look so off with Dan and Spartan will allow Str8 to go back to playing similar to how they did with Renegade.

I doubt it will happen but maybe the fact that his teammate(s) just raged quit last night will motivate Spartan to leave and Ronin would be willing to pick up a player that was on their World's team.

yeah honestly theres zero reason why we shouldnt be lanning h2/h3 - they arent as plug and play as h1 but still

The Melee community is literally the only case where going back to a previous game in the series has worked as a proper esport (I believe CS players tried this at some point as well).  

I'm just not convinced this will ever work for H1 (maybe H2/H3? dunno) ... in Melee it's basically just like attending a big LAN, it's not really about the competition at all for anyone outside of the top 16-32 (which is also somewhat true of the old MLG events, but ...).  No one expects to get past pools, and many players have a D-tier character as their main, they just don't care at all.  Also 'team passes' cost $10.  

The main thing is that H5 has all the money, any teenager who wants to compete at the highest level and join a pro team is going to naturally gravitate to H5 ... Sm4sh has similar prize pools to Melee, so there's not as much of an issue there.  

Also there's the factor that the current top 30 players in H1 are ... uh ... a little clique-ish, which is especially hilarious given that the accomplishment of being a top player in H1 is a lot like Evadur being the best at MCC H3, or Incontrol being a top American Brood War player in 2007.  Lower-level players aren't exactly welcome at Beach LANs, which makes sense at some level (no one wants to babysit a new player while getting destroyed in a 2v2) but it might hurt the scene.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Melee community is literally the only case where going back to a previous game in the series has worked as a proper esport (I believe CS players tried this at some point as well).  

I'm just not convinced this will ever work for H1 (maybe H2/H3? dunno) ... in Melee it's basically just like attending a big LAN, it's not really about the competition at all for anyone outside of the top 16-32 (which is also somewhat true of the old MLG events, but ...).  No one expects to get past pools, and many players have a D-tier character as their main, they just don't care at all.  Also 'team passes' cost $10.  

The main thing is that H5 has all the money, any teenager who wants to compete at the highest level and join a pro team is going to naturally gravitate to H5 ... Sm4sh has similar prize pools to Melee, so there's not as much of an issue there.  

Also there's the factor that the current top 30 players in H1 are ... uh ... a little clique-ish, which is especially hilarious given that the accomplishment of being a top player in H1 is a lot like Evadur being the best at MCC H3, or Incontrol being a top American Brood War player in 2007.  Lower-level players aren't exactly welcome at Beach LANs, which makes sense at some level (no one wants to babysit a new player while getting destroyed in a 2v2) but it might hurt the scene.

I'd rather watch competitive H1 any day over H5. I know a lot of people who would say the same. It's not as niche as you think. The gameplay allows for so much skill depth. I find it waaaaaaaaaay more entertaining.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather watch competitive H1 any day over H5. I know a lot of people who would say the same. It's not as niche as you think. The gameplay allows for so much skill depth. I find it waaaaaaaaaay more entertaining.

For me watching H1 split screen of 4 is unwatchable, I don't understand what is going on.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

For me watching H1 split screen of 4 is unwatchable, I don't understand what is going on.

2 person splitscreen is king.  The FOV is glorious.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/25411381872-offset-13395.531666666666-20.833333333333332.mp4#t=0

Wow what a strafe, i love how great these servers are on a consistent basis so i can enjoy this game on a competitive level.  Everything works as it should and 343 really know how to upkeep their servers and deserve to run this huge franchise with its huge budget and fan base.

UK server against 3 UK players and one Dutch player, I think. UK servers/players are bad (connection wise) for other EU players too.