CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Their streaming platform (MLG.tv or whatever) also fucking sucks.

wait till Halo and Gears are on Mixer

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can i just say that i think accuracy is another worthless stat. In a game where players shot grenades and prefire, is there much point in tracking it? Id rather a more accurate damage counter. Its a small complaint but id ratherworking damage calculations vs working accuracy

• Upvote (+1) 7

Can i just say that i think accuracy is another worthless stat. In a game where players shot grenades and prefire, is there much point in tracking it? Id rather a more accurate damage counter. Its a small complaint but id ratherworking damage calculations vs working accuracy

I think accuracy is a decent stat over large samples, and when taking weapon usage into account. It's been shown that higher skilled players (gold vs. diamond vs. onyx, etc) have higher accuracies for precision weapons. Also, maybe things like sniper accuracy and headshot percentage are a better use of accuracy. Not much pre-firing of those. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I also think DMG can sometimes be misleading. You have to look at stats as a whole, for example

Player 1 has 3200 dmg & 8 assists.

Player 2 has 2400 dmg & 16 assists.

When your damage doesn't translate to kills, you may be doing a good job zoning or denying an area, but a player with double the assists is probably more valuable than a guy dealing 30% more dmg, that isn't translating to kills.

You also have to factor in deaths, as in this game going all dead can swing quite a bit of momentum.

And frankly, I'm glad.

To fully understand H5, you have to watch it. I love analytics & stats, but the eye test will always be key.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It was over 40,000.

If Optic had made it further I feel we would have been 100k+ as we have had with other previous events on our platform.

Also it's only an 8 team tourney that still has 20k viewers

Also it's only an 8 team tourney that still has 20k viewers

i also assume most 14 year old cod fans are out and about with their parents cause it's a holiday weekend

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dmg/Death and DMG/Min tell you so much more about how someone is playing than KDA and K/D. Never felt like K/D was that great of a stat in teams, tbh.

I've been tinkering with some ideas were you'd essentially "forgive" deaths for doing the objective and use that + DMG/D to give sort of a general player ranking.

In no particular order, some important stats for determining the best players:

• Damage per Death - Tells you how well they stay alive while also being impactful on the map.
  • Damage per Minute - Tells you how often they're actually exerting pressure on the map, whether they're staying alive or not.
  • Damage Per Kill/Assist - Unspecific, but can reveal two things: players who deal a lot of useless damage that doesn't turn into a kill and players who get a lot of clean-up kills.
  • Kills Per Rocket/Railgun/Sniper/Shotgun/Scattershot Shot Fired - Shows power weapon efficiency.
  • Damage Per Hit Per Weapon - With Sniper, this shows how often they're getting single shot kills.  With LR, it shows how well they're using the scope.  With everything else, it shows how often they're actually getting headshots when a player is unshielded.  With Rockets/Rails/Explosives, it shows how often they're getting close hits.
  • Damage Per Shot Per Weapon - (A more effective way of showing weapon accuracy)
  • Flag Pulls - Just shows that they are touching the flag.  This is the least important flag stat that matters.  (Captures does not matter at all, since it shows almost zero information about who did the objective work.)
  • Flag Carry Time - Just shows they are holding or moving the flag.  Also not very important.
  • Flag Returns - Shows they actively get on stopping objectives.  Most important of the flag stats.
  • Flag Carrier Kills - Shows they are positioning themselves well to stop a player running the flag.  Second most important flag stat.
  • Strongholds Captured - Shows a player is in enemy strongholds.
  • Strongholds Defended - Shows a player is killing enemies in their own strongholds and defending the objective
  • Strongholds Secured - Shows a player is actively resetting stronghold progress of the enemies.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I also think DMG can sometimes be misleading. You have to look at stats as a whole, for example

Player 1 has 3200 dmg & 8 assists.

Player 2 has 2400 dmg & 16 assists.

When your damage doesn't translate to kills, you may be doing a good job zoning or denying an area, but a player with double the assists is probably more valuable than a guy dealing 30% more dmg, that isn't translating to kills.

You also have to factor in deaths, as in this game going all dead can swing quite a bit of momentum.

And frankly, I'm glad.

To fully understand H5, you have to watch it. I love analytics & stats, but the eye test will always be key.

This is the nature of statistics in sports.

I remember watching some Ravens broadcasts recently while our Defense was in free fall. "Analysts" kept saying how we're we're still a top defense in the run game, citing our rushing yards allowed and rushing TDs allowed. Actually, teams were just having so much success in the air, they weren't running much- but when they did, they often found success on the ground too. Defense was just bad.

You always gotta look at the big picture.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also for the record, I have nothing to do with streaming platform conversations. I'm focused on making sure the event looks dope, operates flawlessly, and the competition is played fair/objectively for all players. The viewership would not be world beating regardless of platform due to the lower engagement for this CoD than we have seen in previous years. It is affecting Gamebattles competition, open bracket sign ups (not having instant sell outs), Twitch casual streaming viewership, youtube views, and event viewership. 

I was there for one of the GPL weeks and this was my first time spectating an eSport live on the professional level and you make the spectator viewership really amazing. I will be sure to attend an open event next time one is hosted in Columbus. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was there for one of the GPL weeks and this was my first time spectating an eSport live on the professional level and you make the spectator viewership really amazing. I will be sure to attend an open event next time one is hosted in Columbus. 

Awesome to hear thank you!

• Upvote (+1) 5

The MLG stream with all the stats, player info, match results and featured pov features are so good.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It was over 40,000. 

If Optic had made it further I feel we would have been 100k+ as we have had with other previous events on our platform.

No need to defend your viewership. 

CoD has done well, but unfortunately the viewership is dominated by OG fans. It's memorial day and you put on a fantastic event in what looks like a sold out MLG Arena. 

Job well done. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

[(Dmg/min) + (Kills * 30) + (Assists * 10) + (Flag capture * 100) + (Flag cap assist * 50) + (Stronghold capture * 50) + (Stronghold assist * 25) + (Stronghold defense * 35) ] / (Deaths * 100)

Example: Snakebite achieves 9 kills, 4 assists, 5 deaths, and 2 flag captures with 250 damage/min while simultaneously filling his car which has a volume of 2.2 cubic meters completely with tangelos which have a volume of 0.1L at a rate of 90 tangelos/min. What is his rating?

(250 + 270 + 40 + 200) / 500 = 1.52

Annnnd you went off the deep end.

I don't know. There is some merit to an almost arbitrary summary stat, plenty of games do it (XP calculation systems are the most common implementations). To most people it doesn't say much, all they care about is they had a "3.5 star" game but if implemented correctly it could carry some meaning. 

I love the way they put Mixer first thinking people will use it instead of Twitch

Well, at least the chat is not cancer (not like it would be any different if there was more ppl watching). But honestly, i usually have better experience watching at Mixer.

The 343 method is Kills+(1/3 Assists)-Deaths, I'm pretty sure.

It's a useless stat.

It would be more useful if it were "/deaths". At least then it would give you some sort of comparable "kill contribution per life" metric. Still wonky though.

It would be more useful if it were "/deaths". At least then it would give you some sort of comparable "kill contribution per life" metric. Still wonky though.

It's +/- but with assists counting for something.

So instead of ToTz being -110 for an event he'd be like -80 :^)

• Upvote (+1) 4

No need to defend your viewership.

CoD has done well, but unfortunately the viewership is dominated by OG fans. It's memorial day and you put on a fantastic event in what looks like a sold out MLG Arena.

Job well done.

That and it doesnt matter if your production is dope if the game itself is a convoluted mess that is hard to watch.

IW is a dog, nothing mlg can do to fix that. Mlg is the best thing IW has going for it. Cant wait to see 200k streams when CoD WWII comes out

• Upvote (+1) 2