CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

it has to be more 50/50

343 has done nothing to help with the state of the game, though it seems that ghost and neighbor are doing a lot to improve this

it was esl's decision to give out 16000 points to pro teams, devalue ugc, run vegas past midnight (est), the scheduling of the lcq where cryptik had a wait time over over 6 hours for their final game vs splyce, and didnt plan out a decent worlds location. the london event shows that it wasnt 343 demanding a the locations as wembley looked amazing and felt like a worlds event. even vegas looked really good

Pretty much all true although the vegas running late thing was on Millenial was it not as they were running that tourney?

Pretty much all true although the vegas running late thing was on Millenial was it not as they were running that tourney?

yeah true. i guess that runs through the lcq scheduling as well.

i wonder who had the smaller companies run these large events? was that esl subcontracting or a 343 decision?

Proving grounds is full of AR fights. With the radar people play more passive and have their Ar's out all the time.

Not sure why anybody in here thinks that "Associate Product Manager" means someone has any kind of power over making decisions about anything.  Like c'mon people, does nobody here have a corporate job?  Job Titles are just something that you can put in your email signature, and anything with "Associate" in it is bottom of the totem pole.  Hell my job title where I work has "Senior" in it and I dont have power over anything.  @@Tashi and @@Timo all you like when it comes to the event location and shit like that, but leave @@TheSimms and @@Elamite out of it unless you want to give them legitimate criticism about their casting.  Which btw you guys, i rather enjoyed both of you this past weekend.  The broadcast was great for the most part other than the couple technical glitches that were cleaned up fairly quickly and beyond your control.

People just want to cast blame (no pun intended) and @@Elamite and @@TheSimms happen to be the most accessible ESL employees to us. Unfortunate for them really, because like you said I doubt they really have any say in why the venue was where it was or why balloons were deflated after 1 day. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I respect @@Clap 's opinion and agree no one should freak out if a 343 rep comes on here. But can we just be honest about the situation?

There will be no discourse.

If, and that is a big if, a rep posts here it will say: "We will try to improve for next time" and possibly have a follow up post to a question of their choosing (nothing too critical or hard of a question). 

I appreciate the optimism but at no point have I ever seen 343 take any constructive criticism or be involved in a conversation with the community that resulted in them listening. Even in /r/halo Frank said "there were some issues" and never even specifically addressed what those issues were before promising to fix them. 

We had pro players talking to developers, only to be told "actually those people aren't in charge of decisions like that but the right people are going to look into it". How crazy is that? The incompetence of 343 will kill Halo, the only question is how fast?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It 100% was a money issue. No way ESL goes from running huge events to running a sideshow alley unless they didn't have the funding required for a decent venue.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Counter-Strike-Global-Offensive-Gets-Biggest-2015-ESL-One-Event-in-Katowice-471267-2.jpg

https://www.eslgaming.com/sites/default/files/styles/blog_big/public/ESL-One-Cologne-Post-Event-Header.jpg?itok=cL4KxWLP

If 343s intent was to create a "Halofest", that is actually a decent idea. Unfortunately they lack the experience to pull that off as we've seen this past weekend.

Everything is about money at some point.

But think about it, around the same time Worlds was announced for Burbank, gfinity moved the EU qualifier to Wembly. The Latam opens was in a big convention halls and an NA qualifier in an esports arena.

How is it possible that the funding existed for these qualifiers to have decent venues, but the biggest tourney Of the year ends up in a broom closet. It doesn't add up.

The Halofest idea was simply an attempt to put lipstick on a pig. It clearly wasn't the plan all along. ESL runs events in this side show alley all the time, but never events this important. It just shows that Halo is nothing more than a side project for them. We already know that there original plan was to marginalize the in person experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not sure why anyone here expects communication from 343 or ESL. That's not how corporations work, non-measured PR is basically a nightmare, the best you can hope for is the type of thing Frankie posted on Reddit. Back when MCC happened, he said he would explain the issues after they were fixed... well, that didn't happen, probably not because he didn't want to, but because it would be a career destroying move to do so.

Likewise, I imagine there are people at ESL and 343 who want to address the issues here. They just can't; typical game companies/corporations are lumbering and slow moving entities. Often, decision making is abstracted several levels above the person implementing the result of decisions, which ultimately leads to things like Worlds 2017. It's clear to me that whoever those people are, they were far more engaged at HWC2016. I mean, Phil Spencer and Bonnie were there I think? Were they there this year? I find that unlikely.

Either way, the sun is setting on H5 - surely, H6 is being developed now. The big question is if it will be on PC. If it follows a logical progression of the improvement from H4 to H5, I think the game will be great. As someone who competed a little bit in CE and still holds that as his favorite Halo, I honestly think H5 is my second favorite. I tried to play 2/3 on MCC and they haven't aged well (CE is still the goat though). AR nerf, no Spartan Charge, no Radar, and we'll have one for the books IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Someone from 343 said that this happened when they tested no radar pre-launch.  It was a little wild but ok for a while and eventually everybody started just running around with their ARs out.

What BLOWS MY MIND is that the through process wasn't "hey everybody is abusing the AR, lets simplify things and remove it from the starting loadout" it was "lets ADD BACK RADAR"

343 is so out of touch. At this point I've stopped playing Proving grounds and I hope its not the new settings going forward unless ARs are removed.

yeah true. i guess that runs through the lcq scheduling as well.

i wonder who had the smaller companies run these large events? was that esl subcontracting or a 343 decision?

No idea tbh although for some reason i always thought it was a 343 decision

I'm afraid that his new found fame has inflated @@FrankTheShow's ego to levels that even the HCS balloons could never dream of.

But I think @@Clap is exactly right, and I think it's been shown with the replies to @@Elamite that all we want is communication, and that when we get it, it is received with gratitude, not hate. If this whole mess brings some 343 reps back into the forum, we have to make sure the bridge doesn't get burned again. The only communication we have control over is our own, so if we get the chance to talk to someone (ahem @@Tashi @@Timo), let's remind them that talking to their most passionate competitive fan base is an asset that cannot be ignored.

Stay lit, fam.

I've said this before and I still think it's relevant... 343 should have the ability on this forum to communicate to the masses. But they should also have the privilege of communicating to admins/VIP only. It could be the admins' job to communicate the feelings, desires, and feedback of the Beyond community in a concise manner. Give them a place where they can speak freely to the admins without the fear of getting flamed by the community at large.

Of course, there would need to be a relationship of trust built up between 343 and the admins. But that comes with time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Someone from 343 said that this happened when they tested no radar pre-launch. It was a little wild but ok for a while and eventually everybody started just running around with their ARs out.

What BLOWS MY MIND is that the through process wasn't "hey everybody is abusing the AR, lets simplify things and remove it from the starting loadout" it was "lets ADD BACK RADAR"

Back to our too many dev teams dilemma. MP team knows the AR is broken, but sandbox holds the key to fixing that, so let's try to use radar as a bandaid.

I've said this before and I still think it's relevant... 343 should have the ability on this forum to communicate to the masses. But they should also have the privilege of communicating to admins/VIP only. It could be the admins' job to communicate the feelings, desires, and feedback of the Beyond community in a concise manner. Give them a place where they can speak freely to the admins without the fear of getting flamed by the community at large.

Of course, there would need to be a relationship of trust built up between 343 and the admins. But that comes with time.

343: "Beyond? That place is just full of diehard halo 2 fanboys who complain about all our innovation"

Maybe we should take our "masses" to reddit and waypoint and show them some poll numbers over there. Ninja can lead the attack  :ace:

Appreciate that Adam, not going to lie to the community and I want to put this out there - this weekend was the first time I wanted to shut off to the world of social media and even the forums, this was a massive failing on my part but also a huge learning curve. I've seen comments from other TO's, Players, Fans and Communities across several forums/gaming titles and I won't lie, I've been super salty about it but I carried on.

I've never had to deal with such heat and hate on social before, a few people on here have said why should I be in the firing line? Well I am a part of ESL and honestly I am proud of that and this also falls on me. I've been angry at seeing gaming communities laugh at Halo, I've been angry at people having a dig here and there when things go wrong, I've been angry that memes have formed of the back of this event, I've been angry to the point that I became so upset, ate food and went to my room Saturday and ignored everyone. That mixed with the passion I have for this game and our community drove me this week to do better and to try fix shit where possible but it also clouded my judgment.

I was genuinely disappointed in people taking the piss out of the event because I and the team have poured our hearts and souls into this to do the best we could. I shook my head Sunday night and realised I was taking this all to heart and taking it all as a personal attack, while I did get some personal attacking on social I shouldn't be blaming others or be angry at them for wanting to see better, I apologise if I was angry or negative to anyone this event, it's been hard but I'm still proud of what we did, the team I work with and rest assured changes will be made for the better moving forward.

This game, its players and the fans of the halo community is long standing and deserves the best, I'm going to keep doing what I do the best of my ability to try make that happen. Once again sorry if anyone feels I let them down, lessons learnt on my end. Onwards and upwards.

Tw2POv.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

Someone please bump Simms from caster to a position where he can have a much more impact, the man clearly has the passion for Halo that most folks that run HCS don't have...or they do...just not as his level.

• Upvote (+1) 1