CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

"Era Eternity" is Prototype, Commonly, eL Town, and Predevonator.

I didn't know if it was confirmed, I decided to play it safe and go with the Daytona roster.

• Upvote (+1) 1

- PC launch will be delayed until god knows when

I'm curious if this is a publisher decision to sell more console copies or that Bungie actually needs more time to develop the PC release

i honestly think this is done purposefully to control and monetize halo esports to the fullest and keeps someone from creating their own league to compete with the hcs.

"when you've got em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

the only issue with this train of thought is that there are so many places for pros to go now and so many games to play professionally, you cant put a strangle hold on the league but need to hope that everyone wants to pick up your game. i think blizzard is feeling this a bit now after trying to institute that absurd buy in to OWL

I have absolutely no clue why you would think that. It's a technical obstacle that they have to overcome to even run their own events to a subpar standard. If they did want to control the scene they could just outright deny competing TO's licenses or similarly in the case of MLG just leave them outside of the HCS circuit so it's disadvantageous to even get in the game. 

No one at 343 is rubbing their hands together at the idea that their LAN capabilities are dogshite and no big TO is stood on the outside wishing they could white knight the Halo community.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the best solution would be a neutral host type of deal because that eliminates host advantage on LAN while also allowing a grass roots scene to thrive since we won't need servers.

I disagree. H5 was developed pre the xb1 release. 'LAN' which is built onto games now (GOW, COD etc) isnt true LAN still. You are required to be connected online. These 'LAN' capabilities were built to work with the XB1 console long after the release of the console and a truer understanding of how they could make it work. Halo just suffered from an unfortunate timing issue in comparison to other titles. The XB1 was developed under the 'Always online' tagline. They just didnt see LAN as a viable option when developing the console, they believed online play would be what people used and wanted.

If you genuinely feel a developer would deliberately hinder the growth of its own scene by not including LAN for that reason, it really doesnt make any sense. UGC ran their own event without LAN, HCS didnt clamp down on them and be like 'Yo this isnt cool brehs'. Same with the Chattanooga event.

Its just a shame that Microsoft didnt make LAN an easy thing for the XB1 console to support. Thats the problem, not a 343 one.

Riot and Blizzard are doing this. It's impossible to play LoL on LAN unless you get Riot to setups your tournament with the LAN clients. And Blizzard did this since Kespa made bank running BRood War without Blizzard approval.

Riot and Blizzard are doing this. It's impossible to play LoL on LAN unless you get Riot to setups your tournament with the LAN clients. And Blizzard did this since Kespa made bank running BRood War without Blizzard approval.

Riot and Blizzard are in another world compared to Halo esports, both in following and in financial standings. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I disagree. H5 was developed pre the xb1 release. 'LAN' which is built onto games now (GOW, COD etc) isnt true LAN still. You are required to be connected online. These 'LAN' capabilities were built to work with the XB1 console long after the release of the console and a truer understanding of how they could make it work. Halo just suffered from an unfortunate timing issue in comparison to other titles. The XB1 was developed under the 'Always online' tagline. They just didnt see LAN as a viable option when developing the console, they believed online play would be what people used and wanted. 

If you genuinely feel a developer would deliberately hinder the growth of its own scene by not including LAN for that reason, it really doesnt make any sense. UGC ran their own event without LAN, HCS didnt clamp down on them and be like 'Yo this isnt cool brehs'. Same with the Chattanooga event.

Its just a shame that Microsoft didnt make LAN an easy thing for the XB1 console to support. Thats the problem, not a 343 one. 

i dont think this is being done in a mustache twirling kind of thing and i dont think it was done to hinder the halo esport scene but i do think the reason we havent seen an attempt to provide some sort of lan support is to keep halo development and the competitive scene under one roof in an effort to guide the game to their vision. . ugc was able to produce a large and successful halo event without the hcs so in an effort to maximize hcs growth, ugc was brought back into the hcs for running tourneys.

i dont think its too far fetched to say that they could be working under the merger mentality and this would be the reason to me that the hcs isnt run by a 3rd party vs 343 employees

its not unheard of. blizzard is trying to tighten its grip on overwatch. they already run most every hearthstone tournament. riot runs basically all league of legends

as to other TOs not wanting to "whiteknight" halo, i thought @@Clap said he would be willing to run halo esports again.

again, i dont think this is a devious plan to kill halo, but rather a wrong move in trying to gain lost ground in the esports marketplace

• Upvote (+1) 1

Inb4 ATP

0eb2eb34a6106a935832d1623d640b6c.png

i dont think this is being done in a mustache twirling kind of thing and i dont think it was done to hinder the halo esport scene but i do think the reason we havent seen an attempt to provide some sort of lan support is to keep halo development and the competitive scene under one roof in an effort to guide the game to their vision. . ugc was able to produce a large and successful halo event without the hcs so in an effort to maximize hcs growth, ugc was brought into the hcs for running tourneys.

i dont think its too far fetched to say that they could be working under the merger mentality and this would be the reason to me that the hcs isnt run by a 3rd party vs 343 employees

its not unheard of. blizzard is trying to tighten its grip on overwatch. they already run most every hearthstone tournament. riot runs basically all league of legends

as to other TOs not wanting to "whiteknight" halo, i thought @@Clap said he would be willing to run halo esports again.

again, i dont think this is a devious plan to kill halo, but rather a wrong move in trying to gain lost ground in the esports marketplace

Building LAN onto a game post release could cause all sorts of problems, and this late in the games life cycle doesnt really make sense financially and time wise. I dont think the 343 has attempted to keep the HCS under one roof either, I mean the amount of TOs that have been used during its time span surely shows this. 

Not sure what you mean in regards to 'White Knighting' Halo, explain a bit more and I will offer my thoughts. 

As far as @@Clap running events is concered, I'm sure everyone and their cat would love to see MLG running Halo tournaments. They are a world class TO with an incredible track record, and most of the guys there have an emotional investment in Halo. However as I dont know why this has not happened, it would be stupid of me to speculate as to reasons why as it doesn't help anyone in the long run. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I really hope Oxygen Supremacy wins the LCQ.

I want Splyce and Oxygen to both be in the pro league so bad. They both really impressed me at Daytona and Ryanoob has been showing up at LAN for a good 6-8 months now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Building LAN onto a game post release could cause all sorts of problems, and this late in the games life cycle doesnt really make sense financially and time wise. 

Not sure what you mean in regards to 'White Knighting' Halo, explain a bit more and I will offer my thoughts. 

As far as @@Clap running events is concered, I'm sure everyone and their cat would love to see MLG running Halo tournaments. They are a world class TO with an incredible track record, and most of the guys there have an emotional investment in Halo. However as I dont know why this has not happened, it would be stupid of me to speculate as to reasons why as it doesn't help anyone in the long run. 

the whiteknighting comment was in response to this:

No one at 343 is rubbing their hands together at the idea that their LAN capabilities are dogshite and no big TO is stood on the outside wishing they could white knight the Halo community.

and i dont know why mlg is gone but from bits and pieces on here it sounds like it was a decision on 343's end not to ask them back in favor of esl. again dont know why but it was been stated before on here by adam i believe that if they had halo, they would want more than to do a few one off tourneys.

and you are right that adding lan could cause a whole host of problems. but it would have been a wonderful thing to try after mattick and his idea when out.

i know we probably wont agree on this but i appreciate you talking to me 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wasn't it @@Clap that stated he received a C&D when MLG tried to run a Halo tournament?

Didnt see that myself, but if that is the case, its a real shame. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember talking about LAN in one of these threads previously and stating that I don't think 343 would be entirely happy having to fly dedicated servers and staff out to these events. I think we'll see some for of "LAN" for Halo 6 even if just turns out to be a publicly released version of their closed server tool that people can run for themselves.

I believe they underestimated the community and thought these events could be run online. The fact that some of the earlier tournaments were run this way is as close to proof as I'll get though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember talking about LAN in one of these threads previously and stating that I don't think 343 would be entirely happy having to fly dedicated servers and staff out to these events. I think we'll see some for of "LAN" for Halo 6 even if just turns out to be a publicly released version of their closed server tool that people can run for themselves.

I believe they underestimated the community and thought these events could be run online. The fact that some of the earlier tournaments were run this way is as close to proof as I'll get though.

hopefully scorpio has true lan capabilities and this wont even be an issue

Pretty sure it was said said they would not be willing to run events outside of the HCS ecosystem for which I don't blame them at all.

EDIT; before this is spun out as some dumb anti-MLG thing let me be clear. I would a b s o l u t e l y  l o v e MLG to be involved in Halo. In fact I think them working outside of the parameters of the HCS would go a good way to legitimizing Halo esports again as something viable for TO's whilst simultaneously creating a comparable standard in Halo5 for the HCS events to work towards.

Unfortunately, as has been stated many times on this forums Halo is not currently in a place where you would tell someone "go spend your own money developing this scene" unless you were being selfish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure he said they would not be willing to run events outside of the HCS ecosystem for which I don't blame them at all.

same which is why 343 most likely went to esl since they do the league while 343 decides who does the other lans. Im pretty sure mlg would want full control over the competitive scene again

• Upvote (+1) 1