CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Another thing that I don't think Mark mentioned is just the importance of offline profiles.

Having to watch a stream with "HCS Blue 2" for example is extremely confusing, and it is all because of the now backtracked Always Online policy that was originally going to happen with the Xbox One console.

I am not sure how hard this is to implement, but I feel it is quite necessary. This is however on Xbox's end.

Compare that to the CWL where you see players with the OG tag or some silly variation of it. It is something that is missed and would happily be welcomed back.

• Upvote (+1) 7

When Destiny 2 has no viable competitive integrity what will all the Bungie fanboys play? Also, pretty telling that Destiny 2 is being optimized for the PS4 and will run at a silky-smooth 30 FPS and then be ported to XBOX and PC. Oh well, looks like many more years of H5 to come

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Another thing that I don't think Mark mentioned is just the importance of offline profiles.

Having to watch a stream with "HCS Blue 2" for example is extremely confusing, and it is all because of the now backtracked Always Online policy that was originally going to happen with the Xbox One console.

I am not sure how hard this is to implement, but I feel it is quite necessary. This is however on Xbox's end.

Compare that to the CWL where you see players with the OG tag or some silly variation of it. It is something that is missed and would happily be welcomed back.

It shouldn't have to be on Xbox's end. 

Halo 2 had profiles in-game. You let people create in-game profiles and rename them. These names show up in custom games on LAN.

Simple.

• Upvote (+1) 8

When Destiny 2 has no viable competitive integrity what will all the Bungie fanboys play? Also, pretty telling that Destiny 2 is being optimized for the PS4 and will run at a silky-smooth 30 FPS and then be ported to XBOX and PC. Oh well, looks like many more years of H5 to come

Destiny 1 was also optimized for the PS4 and ran at a silky smooth 30fps on Xbox. No worries.

I also assume Bungie fanboys will continue to be Bungie fanboys and play Destiny.

And despite its lack of 'viable competitive integrity' it'll probably have a healthy scene due to the game being popular.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's different things we need that can help our game and scene improve. Having a second stream is huge, refining the settings for competitive play is important too. Thankfully we have had some small changes like removing the AR and changing the Radar. I did enjoy watching the gameplay at Daytona.

Regardless of all the changes we need, I absolutely feel LAN is the biggest hindrance to our game. It is basically impossible for independent TO's to host a tournament or LAN when you are required to ping to dedicated servers. Prevents local scenes from growing and it's just a risk in general.

Video killed the radio star.

Xbox One killed the LAN scene.

This!  Onset covered this in his video as well and i think it is the 1 thing that could make the biggest difference.  I have considered putting on a small local LAN in my area for H5 and thought 'not possible unless i set it up as a dedicated servers tourney'.  At that point it removes all willingness to do it.

I think for many people (especially those that arent too great yet) it can be quite daunting to spend money to travel to a big open LAN and get destroyed.  Local LANs offer these kinds of people the LAN experience against lower tier players in a chilled atmosphere.  This is likely to make them want to compete even more and so more likely to go to bigger LANs.  

Also i wonder just how many of the downtime issues are caused by the closed servers?  

Edit:  Not that we have any big open LANs here 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am still interested to hear what people like Ninja and Ogre2 thought of the game after playing it, but Bungie has clearly made some very poor decisions with Destiny 2.

30 fps on consoles (with PS4 pro and Scorpio there is no excuse for this)

Delayed release on PC (release date still pending)

No cross saves between console and PC (since PC is releasing later, this should really be a must)

No dedicated servers on PC

Hate to be off topic, but I saw the Destiny 2 conversation flaring back up and had to point out just how poorly the PC release in particular is being handled.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lunny is over rated IMO, especially his shot.

I think his shot is good but his map movement and decision making are what lets him down IMO.  Maybe playing with Mose and respectful will help him improve.

I am still interested to hear what people like Ninja and Ogre2 thought of the game after playing it, but Bungie has clearly made some very poor decisions with Destiny 2.

30 fps on consoles (with PS4 pro and Scorpio there is no excuse for this)

Delayed release on PC (release date still pending)

No cross saves between console and PC (since PC is releasing later, this should really be a must)

No dedicated servers on PC

Hate to be off topic, but I saw the Destiny 2 conversation flaring back up and had to point out just how poorly the PC release in particular is being handled.

In an IGN interview they said the GPU in the PS4 Pro allows them to run the game in 4K, however due to CPU restrictions, they can't hit 1080P 60FPS...

Delayed PC release is pretty silly, but a delayed release is always better than a broken one IMO.

Cross saves hasn't been denied/confirmed as far as I've heard yet?

No dedicated servers is ridiculous in 2017 for a release this big.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean to be fair, H5's dedicated servers haven't worked out that well. Maybe p2p is the way to go. Lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean to be fair, H5's dedicated servers haven't worked out that well. Maybe p2p is the way to go. Lol

Yet Titanfall's worked flawlessly. 

Dedicated servers should be a must for the PvP at least.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I would be ok with P2P as a fall back.

Let an Xbox One act as a dedicated server for P2P. Although it's slightly different and a little more complicated, our solution for the overwhelming host advantage that Halo CE has on LAN was to use a third Xbox.

I would be ok with P2P as a fall back.

Let an Xbox One act as a dedicated server for P2P. Although it's slightly different and a little more complicated, our solution for the overwhelming host advantage that Halo CE has on LAN was to use a third Xbox.

I hate that I have to use a dedicated server to go into a custom game alone. That's so ass backwards it's insane.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Source for this? This is the only thing I'm actually concerned about.

I'm waiting to see if Microsoft, Bungie, or Sony says anything about this at E3 this year. I'm sure one of them will bring it up. I'm hoping for play anywhere support for Xbox. But since they picked Sony for the preferred platform, it doesn't seem very promising :/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/destiny-2-wont-have-cross-save-between-pc-and-console

Saw over on r/games.

I'm waiting to see if Microsoft, Bungie, or Sony says anything about this at E3 this year. I'm sure one of them will bring it up. I'm hoping for play anywhere support for Xbox. But since they picked Sony for the preferred platform, it doesn't seem very promising :/

On PC it is exclusive to battle.net...so no Xbox Play Anywhere since that works through the Windows Store.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hate that I have to use a dedicated server to go into a custom game alone. That's so ass backwards it's insane.

If a lot of the game's calculations and data are server-side, it makes plenty of sense.

LoL does it that way for security reasons.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If a lot of the game's calculations and data are server-side, it makes plenty of sense.

LoL does it that way for security reasons.

Sure, but how is this better from H2/3 days, where you could do that offline and connect 2 consoles by plugging in a single cable ?

Regardless of all the changes we need, I absolutely feel LAN is the biggest hindrance to our game. It is basically impossible for independent TO's to host a tournament or LAN when you are required to ping to dedicated servers. Prevents local scenes from growing and it's just a risk in general.

Video killed the radio star.

Xbox One killed the LAN scene.

i honestly think this is done purposefully to control and monetize halo esports to the fullest and keeps someone from creating their own league to compete with the hcs.

"when you've got em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

the only issue with this train of thought is that there are so many places for pros to go now and so many games to play professionally, you cant put a strangle hold on the league but need to hope that everyone wants to pick up your game. i think blizzard is feeling this a bit now after trying to institute that absurd buy in to OWL

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I met the owner of E6 at the Global Pro League last weekend. I spent about 20-30 min with him, He's a really nice guy. 

ive seen this posted atleast 5 times here in the last 6 months.