CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I know Ninja has been getting a lot of popularity, but if he gets on that grind with Summit and other top streamers for D2 (and if there is a truly competitive scene in D2, but that's a black box for this thread since there is SO much balancing that would need to be done), then he needs to focus on that and Pubs. The potential for growth is so real. 

H5 isnt a failure but it doesnt have the population or popularity to compete with the latest batch of shooters coming out.

the hcs, outside of funding, has not been super successful and dont think that the league, with the way its run, can carry an ok game for another year/18 months

Not arguing with that.

Still I don't quite get why are ppl so hyped for Destiny 2 ? D1 was repetitive cash cow and while it did get better over time, how much you had to pay for that 200 bucks or so ? Where do ppl get the vibes of D2 having great competitive multiplayer ? If D1 is any indication...

Sure, it attracts masses, Activision knows how to sell their sub-par games. I won't get pulled in that empty bubble again.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Last night I was playing and between spawns my aim was so different to the point where pressing pause changed it back to normal, it was the first time I actually felt it so heavily.

I twitched the sticks and it was like mud and after pausing it went back to normal but this was happening so frequently.

really hope this fix comes soon.

That makes me feel way better..... I haven't played in a while, but I hopped on for a couple quick games last night. I played both games on the same sens

Game 1- 76% accuracy. An outlier for sure, as I'm not a god, but I'm generally around 60% on the new settings.

Game 2- 44%. I could not track ANYTHING with my reticle to save my life. At one point I stopped playing and just slowly tilted my stick and held it in the lowest turn position. I watched that bitch change speeds... twice... without taking a step. It seemed like crossing the reticle over certain objects made it worse, but I was also headcasing hard at that point.

I met the owner of E6 at the Global Pro League last weekend. I spent about 20-30 min with him, He's a really nice guy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Snakebite was placing 5th with Warriors, Royal placed 15th, Lethul placed 26th. Frosty later became a god at Halo 3 online. 

I'm sure they would still be at the top. It's their work ethic that separates them from the pack.

Snakebite was placing top 6 with Brake, NocturnalKernel, and RobbieBizzle.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not arguing with that.

Still I don't quite get why are ppl so hyped for Destiny 2 ? D1 was repetitive cash cow and while it did get better over tine, how much you had to pay for that 200 bucks or so ? Where do ppl get the vibes of D2 having great competitive multiplayer ? If D1 is any indication...

Sure, it attracts masses, Activision knows how to sell their sub-par games. I won't get pulled in that empty bubble again.

I was really disappointed by Destiny, but it had the formula for a good game. It was wildly popular despite a ton of misteps. So Bungie definately has a lot going for them. All they have to do is address Destiny's criticisms (which they seem to have gotten a handle on with their last DLC) and Destiny 2 will surpass the original in every metric.

D2 doesn't even have to have "great, competitive mp" and its scene will be healthy... just because the game itself will be wildly popular.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not arguing with that.

Still I don't quite get why are ppl so hyped for Destiny 2 ? D1 was repetitive cash cow and while it did get better over tine, how much you had to pay for that 200 bucks or so ? Where do ppl get the vibes of D2 having great competitive multiplayer ? If D1 is any indication...

yeah i dont get it either. im glad i was late trying to get it since the story was "we could tell you but we wont" and peter dinklage honed it in so hard his lines were redubbed. but cod has real potential as well as bf2. overwatch is getting mlg and the world championships are getting ready to start. if halo had mlg, we would be fine i think but the hcs has pushed halo into the ground before this additional competition. halo wont survive if pros start jumping ship. i dont think h3a will happen, but 343 needs it to keep halo fresh and buy time to really polish h6

ANNIVERSARY CONFIRMED!  ADDING THREE NEW ARENA MAPS!  DETAILS IN THIS TWEET:

I am a horrible person, sorry guys.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 11

I'm amazed he hasn't left Halo already. I get it, that it's where his heart lies, but at some point you need to make a brain-based decision. He's been on stream telling people to get the fuck out of competitive Halo, so why not do it for himself? His stream would be a lot better off and as it's been said, there's a lot of potential there with Destiny 2. We'll see how it pans out.

He's mainly focused the "get out of competitive halo" on AMs and viewers who may be considering it. The dude loves competing, if he needed the money, he would have dropped Halo a long time ago. But Since he is already entrenched in pro Halo and is continually getting 4-6, he made like 25-30k from Halo alone.

But you are right that the anti-comp talk has heated up and after so long of vouching for and competing in Halo, my guess is he is seriously considering moving on to bigger/better things. Who can really blame him. 

The reason Halo became so popular was due to how easy it was to play - anyone could do it! 

It's a very fragile balance, to be sure. Shooters (especially arena shooters) are, at their core, fairly simple: pick up guns, shoot other people. Mechanically, you have buttons to move, jump, shoot, and change weapons, which makes it incredibly simple to jump into. The part that is difficult is giving the player just enough power and headroom to grow as a player to keep them interested both short and long term.

If you have give them too much power, they'll have fun for a little bit and burn out quickly when there's nothing to strive toward (see the first Titanfall), if you don't give them enough power, only players that can slog through the brutal learning period will find any sort of satisfaction in it (Tribes comes to mind). Matchmaking is also a key in this, but that's neither here nor there for this particular discussion.

Halo absolutely nailed that balance in the first three games, and I feel that one of Halo 5's biggest issues is putting so much emphasis on the concept of being a Spartan that it forgot the simplicity in the game design that made the series great in the first place. I think the part that bugs me the most is there are echoes of greatness in Halo 5 that can be seen when it's played at a very high level, which in turn, makes the HCS one of the most appealing things about Halo 5 even though I don't play. Halo 5 gets so caught up in bells and whistles that it loses its identity in the process, and putting more personal movement options in the hands of players has actually depowered them by forcing them to use them as a crutch instead of their gunskill and map awareness. Now, a very non-trivial argument could be made that the SAs have a skillset of their own, which is very true, but again, it pulls away from the approachable mechanical simplicity of games that have staying power. I severely doubt anyone will be playing Halo 5 as long as Halo CE because it strays from that simplicity that ends up decreasing the skill gap and shining a spotlight on the lack of identity that comes with that mechanical obtuseness.

A long-tailed competitive shooter at its core should be about gunskill, personal awareness, and map control, and it's why many of the shooters released in the past 5-7 years won't have any sort of competitive community engagement past a year. Bucking this trend is Overwatch, applying the best of both arena shooter gunskill and awareness with the teamwork required of MOBAs to make a simple, engaging formula that has the potential for years of play.

Halo needs to learn this balance again or we'll never see the likes of the golden age of MLG or even Worlds 2016 again.

Sorry I novel'd, but I feel incredibly strongly about this particular issue in relation to community growth.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Not arguing with that.

If I had any +rep left I'd give it.There's no indication bungie is even trying to make a more competitive game.Bungie would have to completely change everything to come even close to being as competitive as halo 5's base settings which is a low bar to set.

If I had any +rep left I'd give it.There's no indication bungie is even trying to make a more competitive game.Bungie would have to completely change everything to come even close to being as competitive as halo 5's base settings which is a low bar to set.

Don't for get you gan get much more  + rep and - rep by supporting  :beyond: and going premium!

• Upvote (+1) 2

call me a bad person if you want but i hope destiny 2 sucks

I don't hope it sucks but given Bungie's downward trend I'm not optimistic.

343 has turned me into the most bitter fuck over Halo and I hate it. 

Misery loves company, and I'm right there with you. 

This is the same argument for nV. Then you throw in the h3 domination of Ola and Snipedown, pce OpTic

More so Huke than Mikwen, but they are pretty untested players when it comes to traditional Halo. I might need to brush up on my Mikwen history, but we haven't seen Huke play any game that isn't "advanced" movement based. I'm sure his raw talent as a shooter would carry over, I'm not debating that at all, but you can't really say that because half of NV was top tier at Halo 3 that they would destroy Optic, who all had success, and have better teamwork than NV. It's just one of those things we can speculate on 'til the sun goes down, but we'll never now for sure unless they sit down and play Halo 3 on 360s on LAN.

He's mainly focused the "get out of competitive halo" on AMs and viewers who may be considering it. The dude loves competing, if he needed the money, he would have dropped Halo a long time ago. But Since he is already entrenched in pro Halo and is continually getting 4-6, he made like 25-30k from Halo alone.

But you are right that the anti-comp talk has heated up and after so long of vouching for and competing in Halo, my guess is he is seriously considering moving on to bigger/better things. Who can really blame him. 

I know he's focused it on AMs and viewers, which really is great advice honestly. I can't blame him for wanting to compete, I love competing myself and you have a great point about him needing the money. He definitely is losing money from his stream when he plays/streams Halo though so from a business standpoint he'd be better off leaving it. Of course, if he wants to play Halo then that's what he'll do. I'd definitely agree with you, no one can blame him if he does decide to move on to other things. I don't even like him as a streamer or player, and I wouldn't blame him one bit. It's likely that it's what's best for him if he wants to make a better living off of streaming than he already does.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not arguing with that.

Still I don't quite get why are ppl so hyped for Destiny 2 ? D1 was repetitive cash cow and while it did get better over time, how much you had to pay for that 200 bucks or so ? Where do ppl get the vibes of D2 having great competitive multiplayer ? If D1 is any indication...

Destiny was a fun shooter to play with friends. There was nothing really good out for the PS4/Xbone at the time it came out in terms of MP shooters besides BF4. And while the game may have been repetitive in and of itself, it did that 30-second combat loop that Bungie conceptualized in the Halo CE days perfectly. I spent $120 on Destiny (Base game, Crota, House of Wolves and TTK) and I felt like I got my money's worth out of that game for sure. I dropped it around the start of 2016 because the grind started to outweigh the fun factor, but Destiny from launch to the start of TTK was an amazingly fun game to play, even with it's issues.

It was ironically described as the "best 7/10 I've ever played" and I think that explains it's popularity perfectly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was really disappointed by Destiny, but it had the formula for a good game. It was wildly popular despite a ton of misteps. So Bungie definately has a lot going for them. All they have to do is address Destiny's criticisms (which they seem to have gotten a handle on with their last DLC) and Destiny 2 will surpass the original in every metric.

D2 doesn't even have to have "great, competitive mp" and its scene will be healthy... just because the game itself will be wildly popular.

Sure, but D2 being an awesome game won't hold back Halo being an awesome competitive game right ? I dont see why we should even compare those two. There is tons of massively popular games and they all make money. More competent Hcs handling would be enough to sustain healthy competitive scene. We don't have to be csgo to be happy.

Yeah I am also frustrated, maybe I am just trying to find excuses..

• Upvote (+1) 3

call me a bad person if you want but i hope destiny 2 sucks

I don't care if Destiny 2 sucks or not... I just want the next halo to be REALLY good.

I remember the days when EVERYONE had a PS2, but they'd be jealous of not being able to play halo. Ps2 had every game on the planet, except halo. It was so good you either went out an bought xbox as second console, or spent a ton of time at a friends house.

Now people can skip halo and not even think about it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 is far from failure in my eyes. Lot of bad decisions, bad communication, bugs and stuff, but not a failure. Id like to think a lot of ppl share this opinion.

Perhaps saying H5 is a failure may be too harsh, but it is by no means is a success. There is an incredibly long list of things they did wrong with this game from day one, and their ability to react and address those problems haven taken too long. Case in point, we are a year and a half in without a live fix for aiming.  

At this point I'm at best cautiously optimistic for Halo 6.. but things aren't looking good for Halo after Fall Pro League until whenever H6 comes out. They need to have everything we've come to expect from a Halo title day one for it to be considered a success in my eyes. Which when I think about it, is kind of depressing in itself. This franchise use to be innovative, but thus far 343 has shown they are unable to even live up to the standard Halo set from original xbox to 360.  

I met the owner of E6 at the Global Pro League last weekend. I spent about 20-30 min with him, He's a really nice guy.

Yup E6 Principal is a great guy despite the common misconceptions people have about him and the organization.