CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Umm Snipedown was a beast at Halo 2 he just had not got into the scene yet. And Roybox weren't shabby at H2 either.

Well 1 team would have Pistola and Snip3down, 2 of the greatest Halo 3 players of all-time.

So, Imma go with that one. :thinking:

This. Snip3down was absolutely destroying in the h3 tourney last month after like one day of practicing

Do you guys think a perfectly remastered H3A (only graphic and QOL tune-ups but gameplay the exact same) would even remotely compete with the launch of a game like Destiny 2?   Say they had the same release date.  I think it would lose tremendously and a majority of the people who'd play H3 first would end up putting it down a week or 2 later and end up playing Destiny for several years.

To me, this is a sign of how players and games have changed.  Destiny has a fun, casual, stress free element to it that will always attract more players than Halo now.  It is a much easier game for the masses to stream because they don't have to be sphincter-clinched focused every game.  I think Halo competitive settings are pretty well and good right now but the key for Halo ever having numbers and a presence on Twitch or Social Media like Destiny will require they add in some type of super casual farm mode/pve mode with lots of customization and progression.  And I think this also means Halo is going to continue to get fancy mechanics and abilities BUT that doesn't mean those need to be a part of the competitive scene.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Umm Snipedown was a beast at Halo 2 he just had not got into the scene yet. And Roybox weren't shabby at H2 either.

But obviously they couldn't take on Strongside and Ogre2 in H2A though right?

Point is, H2A played nothing like the actual H2 and I doubt H3A would be any more faithful. In straight up Halo 3 NV probably takes it but H3A definitely won't be straight up Halo 3.

to some people it's not all about the money. Not to me, but some

Jimbo replied to one of my posts asking him about this a few months ago. He basically reiterated that he wasn't enjoying Halo 5 and that to me shouts that most professionals probably don't genuinely enjoy playing the game at face value. Winning good sums of money, or just winning in general, definitely will make things more enjoyable, but maybe in @@TUFOXY's case the cost/benefit is just not there. If he doesn't really enjoy Halo 5, why put yourself through hours of misery just for a thousand bucks? I'm sure people can think of better things to do with their time. 

8c7e4f4ae8.png

Why are our dev-supported 75k east coast lans getting lower turnouts than AGL Halo 4 10ks in Tennessee?

They're getting less turnout because it was a meaningless tournament right before a big time tournament that was announced with little time for non-pro players to get their shit together for the event. This isn't to mention that it was held in Daytona, not in Meadowlands, DC, NY, or any other more populated East Coast location that has been a big draw for Halo tournaments in the past. I'm not trying to discredit Daytona, as I believe anywhere in Florida with a beach is gonna be a decent time, but why not have something in the North East, or at least somewhere like DC that has a history of being a great site to host a Halo tournament?

In all fairness, Phlux did mention something about family issues so may not be entirely halo related.  Although Him taking a break was probably enough for tufoxy to say 'fuck this!'.

From what i could gather it was the lack of an EU open LAN that has frustrated so many EU players, especially after the success of Gfinity London.

People only talk about it because it's either H3A or RIP for Halo/HCS after the Fall season ends. 

If 343's only plan in the pipeline is a H3 inspired playlist + maybe a dlc map or two, they should just pack it in now and cut their losses. No one is coming back to this game for that. 

After the failures of H4, MCC, H5.. I can't even be certain that people would come back for a H3A. The first sign of any problems and it will be a shitstorm on here, twitter, reddit, etc. 

I think it's RIP HCS after Fall season anyway. This game is abysmal, the scene is run by incompetent idiots, and there are a plethora of big time games dropping this Fall that at face value right now, offer far more enjoyment to the FPS player base. Battlefront 2 is looking like it's taken the miscues from Battlefront and making a much, much more fun and better game. Call of Duty is going back to boots on the ground which has been clamored for by the majority of the player base for a couple of years now and not only that, they're going back to CoD's roots and doing a WW2 game. What's not to like there? Destiny 2 obviously is in the mix as well. There's just going to be a lot of players who are going to jump ship for other games that offer far, far more than Halo 5 can or does, like general enjoyment of the game.

Won't deny Snipedown was a beast at Halo 2, but he was definitely in the scene, just hadn't broken into the pro team circle yet. I don't know that there was anyone back then that he could have pushed out either. Roy and Lunch were also on the rise in Halo 2, but same story, they just hadn't been able to break into the elite tier of pro teams/players. 5k was a SICK team though.

And who's to say the Optic players wouldn't be good at Halo 3? They were all pretty young during that game's lifespan and it's impossible to tell how they'd have been at that game in their prime. Frosty was what, 11 in 2009?

• Upvote (+1) 1

i think if ninja gets the numbers or close to the numbers he got from the destiny 1 aplha/beta he will retire from halo. just my opinion. if his eye had not messed up he might have quit halo then because he was getting big numbers in his stream.

Do you guys think a perfectly remastered H3A (only graphic and QOL tune-ups but gameplay the exact same) would even remotely compete with the launch of a game like Destiny 2?   Say they had the same release date.  I think it would lose tremendously and a majority of the people who'd play H3 first would end up putting it down a week or 2 later and end up playing Destiny for several years.

To me, this is a sign of how players and games have changed.  Destiny has a fun, casual, stress free element to it that will always attract more players than Halo now.  It is a much easier game for the masses to stream because they don't have to be sphincter-clinched focused every game.  I think Halo competitive settings are pretty well and good right now but the key for Halo ever having numbers and a presence on Twitch or Social Media like Destiny will require they add in some type of super casual farm mode/pve mode with lots of customization and progression.  And I think this also means Halo is going to continue to get fancy mechanics and abilities BUT that doesn't mean those need to be a part of the competitive scene.

Halo 3 Anniversary, or any remaster really, offers nothing but nostalgia gameplay. If it is a one for one remaster or anniversary edition at least. It won't offer new gameplay, it won't offer a new story, or anything like that. It's hard to compare a completely new addition to a franchise in Destiny 2, to a remaster/anniversary of Halo 3. It would be even more difficult to shoehorn new campaign story into Halo 3 Anniversary or any remaster because well then it wouldn't be that same game. I don't disagree with you entirely. I think Destiny 2 is going to be around for a few years because they can keep adding story to the game and adding tons of shit to the game just by nature of what type of game it is. H3A wouldn't be like that. If Destiny gets PVP right with this entry, Halo truly will be on its last leg. Halo flat out cannot compete with Call of Duty right now, and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Call of Duty has lower viewership compared to last year or even to Black Ops 2 (I believe, I'd have to check hard numbers for both, but I'm pretty sure) and the viewership and by extension, player base is far, far greater than Halo's. So, if a legitimate sci-fi shooter comes out in Destiny 2 and the PVP/competitive is right, I think you might see plenty of players from Halo start to shift over there, where aiming isn't an issue and the developer actually makes an effort to take care of their game. 

Snakebite was placing 5th with Warriors, Royal placed 15th, Lethul placed 26th. Frosty later became a god at Halo 3 online. 

I'm sure they would still be at the top. It's their work ethic that separates them from the pack.

Not to mention their teamwork and comms. I know that some professionals are more skilled than others, but I'm a firm believer that playing as a unit with cohesion and also their insane work ethic as you mentioned is what would separate OG from other teams.

i think if ninja gets the numbers or close to the numbers he got from the destiny 1 aplha/beta he will retire from halo. just my opinion. if his eye had not messed up he might have quit halo then because he was getting big numbers in his stream.

I'm amazed he hasn't left Halo already. I get it, that it's where his heart lies, but at some point you need to make a brain-based decision. He's been on stream telling people to get the fuck out of competitive Halo, so why not do it for himself? His stream would be a lot better off and as it's been said, there's a lot of potential there with Destiny 2. We'll see how it pans out.

He's been on a stream grind for years now...

I mean for Destiny, Halo doesn't count....not as many people are interested in Halo as there are in Destiny.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I mean for Destiny, Halo doesn't count....not as many people are interested in Halo as there are in Destiny.

If I remember correctly he was going into Destiny pretty hard but then his eye issues happened and side-lined him for awhile.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The reason Halo became so popular was due to how easy it was to play - anyone could do it! With Halo 5, good luck being competitive if you're not clawing or using paddles. It's too convoluted and the aiming sucks.

Honestly, I can't wait for Destiny 2 to absolutely destroy Halo 5. Maybe it will set 343 straight, but I doubt it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well 1 team would have Pistola and Snip3down, 2 of the greatest Halo 3 players of all-time.

So, Imma go with that one. :thinking:

Naded was a beast in H3 tho

Does the double shot work in any situation other than jumping from that place on Coli?

You don't need to jump to double shot with the pistol.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe it will set 343 straight, but I doubt it. 

mcc was followed by h5 which was missing several features and the worlds fiasco was followed by daytona. props for getting that h1 station there bc that sounded amazing, but it seems that 343 has no real long term memory when it comes to their mistakes though the work menke, @@GH057ayame, and @@Neighbor are doing will hopefully prove me wrong. if not a huge change in staff or a hand-off to another dev have to be coming b/c a quality halo will continue to sell

Halo 5 is far from failure in my eyes. Lot of bad decisions, bad communication, bugs and stuff, but not a failure. Id like to think a lot of ppl share this opinion.

H5 isnt a failure but it doesnt have the population or popularity to compete with the latest batch of shooters coming out.

the hcs, outside of funding, has not been super successful and dont think that the league, with the way its run, can carry an ok game for another year/18 months

Not to mention their teamwork and comms. I know that some professionals are more skilled than others, but I'm a firm believer that playing as a unit with cohesion and also their insane work ethic as you mentioned is what would separate OG from other teams.

This is the same argument for nV. Then you throw in the h3 domination of Ola and Snipedown, pce OpTic

to be fair, we shouldn't have to spoon food the main guy in charge of Halo at ESL such basic feedback

it's literally his job to know

maybe if he still read the forums he'd know what his consumers wanted

No doubt.

it just feels like ESL and 343 are both stuck stuck in some echo chamber and have no idea what does on around them.

It took a year and a half to settle on a decent tournament structure. And they are still oblivious to what viewers want out of a presentation.

• Upvote (+1) 2