CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

also @@Infinity + @@Pono lets chat this week on discord about the feedback, I can happlily scale it up to the rest of the casters on email so its taken on board and read. I also have feedback on certain aspects like "dead air" and how i dont think its relevant for Halo but im more than wiling to listen and work/try see how we make it work if you think its possible.

Hit me up anytime Simmothy. You too @@Pono

Goldenboy is an established broadcast personality with great charisma, fluidity, experience, and more. He's an asset to the HCS broadcasts. People ripped into him for not knowing a lot about the game and kind of bullshitting his way through commentary. When he came back, he grinded the game hard, learned a lot about how to be a better Halo caster, and is now one of the best play by play options available (even though he mostly hangs out on the post-game desk). I've always like Goldenboy and was never on that train of criticizing him. He has some faults but it's a completely different situation.

Strongside is bad. But so is Goldenboy. He is not fluid. He is the OPPOSITE of fluid. He is clunky as all hell. He literally reminds me of someone who tries to play volleyball and just falls all the time. And if he is "one of the best play by play options available" then lord help us all.

Not saying I don't like them personally, because they seem like decent and caring people, but neither of them are good for the positions they've been put in. They would be better used somewhere else within the scene. Interviewing? PR? Idk.

Want to see the best casters/commentators for eSports of all time? And what eSports casting and commentating should look and feel like?

Watch League. Or Starcraft. Or Counterstrike. 5 Star experience all the way around. Watching Halo these last few years has felt nothing like any of those eSports. I just fucking cringe most of the time. And half of what these Halo casters talk about is just fluff. And the other half of the time, they don't even finish their thoughts.

Shit. I bet there are Team Beyond members who could fill the positions better than SS or GB.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Im gunna make some graphics with players and launch them from ESLHalo so the public eye can see, unfortunately illness and 24 hours of traveling has done me in so didnt get chance today. @@BadDub has the rosters for HDH, the 4 teams in EU PL are still FABE, LC, SUPREMACY and INFUSED.

also @@Infinity + @@Pono lets chat this week on discord about the feedback, I can happlily scale it up to the rest of the casters on email so its taken on board and read. I also have feedback on certain aspects like "dead air" and how i dont think its relevant for Halo but im more than wiling to listen and work/try see how we make it work if you think its possible.

Can you run HCS please? If not, then I expect a 2000 word essay on the reasons why not on my desk by Monday.

Strongside is a great person to have in the community and is not a bad on air talent. What it comes down to is he can just straight up NOT cast at the same level of those around him.

I honestly think it would benefit him more and the scene if he gave up casting and became the first really true on air "analyst" in Halo (And not just a caster who they throw on the analyst desk to switch things up like we currently have) and focused on his interviewing personality. He has the ability to speak intelligently on the game and explain situations but he just does not have the ability to do it in real time while he is casting. His interviews are also currently very good and probably the strongest thing he brings to the broadcast.

There seems to be two Strongsides, we'll call them 'Chillside' and 'Hypeside'. When Side is chill (e.g. interviews, podcasts, behind the scenes etc.) he's great, with analysis, personality coming through, screen presence etc. When he's hype tho it gets crazy and this is where he stumbles, and when he's next to quality casters it doesn't help. IMO Chillside should be an analyst commentator and leave color commentary to his partner. At least until he improves. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I fear we will never get Str8 Skins.

343 don't have to make Str8 Skins if they ban the Org.

wise-black-guy-meme-you-dont-have-to-mak

• Upvote (+1) 2

The quad shot thing is cool but since you can do it with power weapons it has to go. If it was limited to precision weapons only I could see it being something that could stay since you have to reload straight after and seems hard to do in a 1v1 with people moving around and thrusting

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im gunna make some graphics with players and launch them from ESLHalo so the public eye can see, unfortunately illness and 24 hours of traveling has done me in so didnt get chance today. @@BadDub has the rosters for HDH, the 4 teams in EU PL are still FABE, LC, SUPREMACY and INFUSED.

<3  For sure, let's have the conversation. Would love to get some constructive feedback out to everyone instead of just the EU gents that actually visit the forums. 

And yeah, I could definitely be wrong about the "dead air" portion, more wanted to emphasize taking a moment to gather thoughts. But yeah, find me on the Beyond Discord. "Alex | Pono".

@@Infinity - what's your name on Discord?

It just crossed my mind that everyone has been bitching about Ronin "stealing" a pro league spot but nobody has brought up that FACT that EG isn't even a Top 10 team and still has their spot. Talk about playing favorites. In reality EG has stolen Bubu's spot. I'm a competitive golfer and letting EG play in Pro League is like letting former, washed up, "professional" golfers into a big tournament on a sponsor's exemption. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 17

Just here to say Ogre 2 has had the best analytical casting in Halo 5's lifespan and we only got him for a single online tournament.

Ogre2 is now a Destiny streamer on that Destiny 2 hype train though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It just crossed my mind that everyone has been bitching about Ronin "stealing" a pro league spot but nobody has brought up that FACT that EG isn't even a Top 10 team and still has their spot. Talk about playing favorites. In reality EG has stolen Bubu's spot. I'm a competitive golfer and letting EG play in Pro League is like letting former, washed up, "professional" golfers into a big tournament on a sponsor's exemption. 

this

• Upvote (+1) 1

Strongside is bad. But so is Goldenboy. He is not fluid. He is the OPPOSITE of fluid. He is clunky as all hell. He literally reminds me of someone who tries to play volleyball and just falls all the time. And if he is "one of the best play by play options available" then lord help us all.

Not saying I don't like them personally, because they seem like decent and caring people, but neither of them are good for the positions they've been put in. They would be better used somewhere else within the scene. Interviewing? PR? Idk.

Want to see the best casters/commentators for eSports of all time? And what eSports casting and commentating should look and feel like?

Watch League. Or Starcraft. Or Counterstrike. 5 Star experience all the way around. Watching Halo these last few years has felt nothing like any of those eSports. I just fucking cringe most of the time. And half of what these Halo casters talk about is just fluff. And the other half of the time, they don't even finish their thoughts.

Shit. I bet there are Team Beyond members who could fill the positions better than SS or GB.

The thing with Goldenboy is that he sometimes finds himself in a place where he feels the need to say his thoughts on a matter and analyse things when he doesn't need too. Especially when he is a desk host.

IMO when you are a desk host your mission is to use the analysts you have beside you and pick their brains. Not become an analyst yourself. If he can get this stuff right, he can be a really good desk host. Other than that, I like him. :)

The best desk host we have ever had in Halo 5 (imo) was at one EU Halo finals, season 1 finals I think it was? The legend himself, Redeye. He probably didn't know much about Halo 5, but did a little research before just so he had the basics of what the scene was about. And then used his panel of Lethal and whoever of Wonderboy/Onset/Gaskin/Simms, to their full potential. Making it really professional, interesting and fun. Go back and watch those segments and I bet there is stuff everyone can learn from. We are talking about a guy that has been around since the beginning of esport!

• Upvote (+1) 4

The thing with Goldenboy is that he sometimes finds himself in a place where he feels the need to say his thoughts on a matter and analyse things when he doesn't need too. Especially when he is a desk host.

IMO when you are a desk host your mission is to use the analysts you have beside you and pick their brains. Not become an analyst yourself. If he can get this stuff right, he can be a really good desk host. Other than that, I like him. :)

The best desk host we have ever had in Halo 5 (imo) was at one EU Halo finals, season 1 finals I think it was? The legend himself, Redeye. He probably didn't know much about Halo 5, but did a little research before just so he had the basics of what the scene was about. And then used his panel of Lethal and whoever of Wonderboy/Onset/Gaskin/Simms, to their full potential. Making it really professional and interesting. Go back and watch those segments and I bet there is stuff everyone can learn from. We are talking about a guy that has been around since the beginning of esport!

Ol Paul Chaloner is the legend. 

Personal favorite desk host (esports and regular sports) is Machine. Great banter, knows how to interact with the analysts, and does a great job of transitioning. Richard Lewis does a fine job as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree that neither should be guaranteed a pro league spot, but EG has played by the rules publicly, while Ronin has a history of executing unethical team change strategies. Again, I agree, long ago I advocated that no team who fails to qualify for worlds should continue to hold a pro spot. And even further back I definitely wanted the Ronin spot thrown out. But it's really not the same.