CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm about eighty five to one hundred times better than StrongSide on a bad day and that's me being humble.

I just watched you on whatever kind of day that was and you weren't. It's nothing personal, people here give all the casters a lot of criticism and watching that cast of you critically there was nothing you said or any way that you said it that would differentiate you apart from the fact you're chill on camera.

I'm confused... do you think StrongSide is an analyst commentator? He isn't, not even close.

And claiming Frank would be the worst PBP caster is a really bold statement considering he has more natural fluidity and charisma than even Simms (once again, only talking about casting. I strongly disagree with a lot of Frank's behavior). He was a solid caster when he worked for MLG, was one of the best commentators at IG Atlanta in H2A, and did a really impressive job casting our Halo 5 events purely as a hobby.

They're all pretty much hybrid who lean towards one side or the other;

GB - doesn't even pretend to be colour in any fashion

Simms  - heavy PBP

Onset - lean PBP

Elam - literal mid-ground

Side - lean colour

Wonderboy - lean analysis

T2 - lean analysis

Walshy - heavy lean colour + analysis

Without even picking a game / series of this tournament with Simms casting I would put it up against the best of Frank (PM me if you've got any series in mind rather than clutter up the thread). People underestimate how far these guys have progressed, even Side.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I just watched you on whatever kind of day that was and you weren't. It's nothing personal, people here give all the casters a lot of criticism and watching that cast of you critically there was nothing you said or any way that you said it that would differentiate you apart from the fact you're chill on camera.

They're all pretty much hybrid who lean towards one side or the other;

GB - doesn't even pretend to be colour in any fashion

Simms - heavy PBP

Onset - lean PBP

Elam - literal mid-ground

Side - lean colour

Wonderboy - lean analysis

T2 - lean analysis

Walshy - heavy lean colour + analysis

Without even picking a game / series of this tournament with Simms casting I would put it up against the best of Frank (PM me if you've got any series in mind rather than clutter up the thread). People underestimate how far these guys have progressed, even Side.

How stupid do you think I am?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd like to write a quick post commenting on how the FFA was ran at Daytona. First it was great they put up 5k for the prize pool, spread well between the top 6 of the finals. To qualify starting Saturday you had to get first in 8 different FFAs and if you lost your got up. It was a good idea, my issue with it was the earlier you played it in the easier it was to qualify due to higher tier players still competing in 4s therefore not worrying about the FFA. This allowed some players to qualify who most likely wouldn't have. Additionally because there were only 24 spots available pros barely had a chance to get in, with Str8 sick being the only pro dedicated enough to qualify. I did see cratos and suspector also trying.

2 of my teammates Stress and Hoax also qualified. We got to the venue on Sunday around 11:50 ten minutes before being DQed luckily the homie Rammyy tweeted at us to hurry up. So they took down most of the stations leaving only two stations available. I got one warm up game on mercy and found out the quarter finals are In mercy top 3 move on. Obviously NOBODY was happy about that as mercy sucks and now you could easily be eliminated by the randomness that is mercy. I had Rammyy Munoz and some other less known players round 1. I stated off slow and ended up changing my strat to rushing bottom mid and going for trades lol, that's apparently the meta. I got second tying in kills with Rammyy but having more deaths, myself Rammyy and Munoz move on. Next round was regret and soul snipe juziro and King nick are added in, a pretty stacked round. I end up getting first by about 5 kills, I was on top of timing OS and had great positioning to clean up others kills by camping top mid and playing patiently.

So now the finals are myself, juziro, soul snipe, str8 sick, hoax, and tizoxic. I find out we are playing on dev kits. Wtf. First why is this not being streamed, second why wouldn't the first two rounds be on the dev kits. Amateur players had ZERO opportunities to play on these and then for the one game that will determine prize money you play on something completely different than playing online. Sheesh. Juziro has an amazing start but ended up getting clutched out by tizoxic. At the end of the game I was tied in kills and assists with soul snipe for 3rd but with less deaths and he got a grenade kill with literally one second on the clock left. So I got 4th, surprisingly str8 sick had an unlucky game netting him 6th place.

Just a quick write up about my FFA experience. I never have played them before in h5 at events but I'll probably continue now.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If you think Stutterside's casting is good you probably also listen to country music for enjoyment.

Can confirm I like strongside and do not listen to country music for enjoyment.

Live and let live peeps, people can enjoy things you don't. :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

Don't remember ever hearing Frank cast. I don't care for Strongside's and would prefer he doesn't cast anymore, but I also wouldn't care enough to mute the stream while he's casting. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he stayed on. 

See this is why I can't take anything your saying seriously. We can debate and discuss what roles and commentary styles each caster utilizes but StrongSide literally just screams what is happening on screen in this most clunky way imaginable.

Agree to disagree, I guess but I value presentation and fluidity and Frank had that as a caster.

I wish I had the time to put into Halo 5 what I did with Reach, even though I was still finding my footing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I wish I had the time to put into Halo 5 what I did with Reach, even though I was still finding my footing.

I still regret the tri-cast that never was with you/me/Gerald.

• Upvote (+1) 2

See this is why I can't take anything your saying seriously. We can debate and discuss what roles and commentary styles each caster utilizes but StrongSide literally just screams what is happening on screen in this most clunky way imaginable.

Agree to disagree, I guess but I value presentation and fluidity and Frank had that as a caster.

Of course, I would discount everything I said too over a simple detail...

If I just went off what everyone mainly did while they were speaking they would be all play-by-play just to varying degrees of quality, what's important in differentiating is where they shine most. T2 for instance has actually gotten really good at fluid play-by-play so could easily sit as a strong play-by-play caster BUT where he actually shines is when he weaves in quick strategic breakdowns of the game. Walshy would garble on for days reading out the kill feed if you'd let him BUT where he actually shines is critical analysis of individual situations, mid-game banter and 'story time with Walshy; moments from the past'.

Strongside's only value is colour. The fact that he's got a silly amount of years under his belt as a top player (and also in the development process at 343) means he can speak with authenticity about various aspects of the game that newer casters struggle with. Strongside is not good at PBP despite him leaning on it as a crutch, get him in a cast with strong PBP caster and they take the weight meaning he doesn't need to use that crutch to anywhere near as much and that's when he's at his best and is actually worthwhile. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't remember ever hearing Frank cast. I don't care for Strongside's and would prefer he doesn't cast anymore, but I also wouldn't care enough to mute the stream while he's casting. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he stayed on.

https://youtu.be/tkNW4z9aeIA

Strongside's only value is colour. The fact that he's got a silly amount of years under his belt as a top player (and also in the development process at 343) means he can speak with authenticity about various aspects of the game that newer casters struggle with. Strongside is not good at PBP despite him leaning on it as a crutch, get him in a cast with strong PBP caster and they take the weight meaning he doesn't need to use that crutch to anywhere near as much and that's when he's at his best and is actually worthwhile. 

He could talk about various aspects of the game, but he doesn't. He is 95%+ play by play and whatever "analysis" he gives is jumbled and really not in-depth at all. It doesn't matter what potential he has to be an analyst, the fact is that he doesn't analyze whatsoever.

I've been giving him this feedback since H2A and now its finally catching up to him because people are realizing he just isn't a good speaker. You have to be able to publicly speak fluidly with a strong vocabulary before you can even decide what type of content you want to provide for a live broadcast.

Strongside casts the wrong type of content and does it poorly.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We're venturing into that region where we aren't being constructive...

I know it was a wall of text but I hope the caster's focus on posts like mine and @@Infinity 's thoughts afterwards, rather than kneejerk feedback provided on the last few pages.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Strongside just tries to talk about everything that's happening and ends up a good 5 seconds behind the actual gameplay. He was actually doing pretty well at Worlds, specifically during OpTic v fabE. Aside from that, though, he's pretty poor.

He is, however, a pretty good interviewer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like strong side when he's paired with a caster that knows when to interrupt and get him to stop talking. Main reason I like him is cause he gets hyped when I get hyped which other casters rarely do. He just has to work on not dragging it out

• Upvote (+1) 9

Refuse to click this blatant self-promotion. If you were @@Towey, the mods would have already criticized you :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2