CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Just to give my opinion on this, I feel like the best players that were AM players are the ones that got promoted to the pro scene. Trippey, Sayian, Shotzzy and Renegade were the best AM players and are now on pro teams.

The AM players that say "We don't get that chance" ect, maybe just aren't good enough. If you don't have that incredible individual skill, you won't stick out. Why should you get that chance but others in the same position as you, shouldn't.

I think players should see that they just aren't good enough to be on that level. Not "we don't get the chance/Pros are trying to keep us out". The best players are on the pro teams (there are some very small exceptions like Ryanoob/Contra but you get the point).

Very well put. There may be one or two more AMs who will make it to the pro bracket soon, but for the most part the talent in the AM scene has been tapped. The idea that the 9-16 teams are full of untapped potential and secret god kids is a myth born out of AM players' natural egos and spectators' desire to see "new kids" rise up - the narrative is inspiring.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just to give my opinion on this, I feel like the best players that were AM players are the ones that got promoted to the pro scene. Trippey, Sayian, Shotzzy and Renegade were the best AM players and are now on pro teams.

The AM players that say "We don't get that chance" ect, maybe just aren't good enough. If you don't have that incredible individual skill, you won't stick out. Why should you get that chance but others in the same position as you, shouldn't.

I think players should see that they just aren't good enough to be on that level. Not "we don't get the chance/Pros are trying to keep us out". The best players are on the pro teams (there are some very small exceptions like Ryanoob/Contra but you get the point).

Honestly its probably harder to get a chance on AM teams than for a top AM to get a chance with pros. Not saying the same principles dont apply that if you are good enough it will happen, but there are some crazy egos out there.  There are a lot of players who don't want to see the new player that is playing really well get a chance and surpass them, or they don't want to admit other players are as good or better than them.  Not to mention the amount of players who look at stats/stat whore to look good, wont scrim "bad kids", drop their friends just to team with them again, etc etc.  I, for the most part, don't have a problem with the AM scene and think a lot of the players above me are great dudes and love halo, but there are some definite idiots bottle necking the process of climbing the ladder lol.  Not even saying this like i deserve chances with better teams, im on the best team ive ever been on and am loving playing with my team and have no plans of leaving, just saying what ive observed.

• Upvote (+1) 3

your avatar cracks me up when i read your posts nowadays lol

what happened to the no toxicity movement!

gone-done.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just don't trust ninja in tight games. he always seems out of position, and doesn't hit the clutch shots. (Missing that snipe on renegade in game 7 was inexcusable.)

I've always hated people using this clip as evidence of Ninja being clutch.

Was the no-scope clutch? Yes. But, what did Ninja do immediately after that?

He goes out and challenges another player, and goes for another no-scope, even after securing the win.

So yeah, he was clutch there, but he also put himself in a position where he could've blown the lead away.

Why even bother challenging that? You had already secured the win. Imagine if he somehow died there by a grenade/follow up shot. His no-scope all for nought.

Clutch shot? Yes. Clutch decision-making? Absolutely not.

Wasn't arguing whether or not Ninja was clutch, just that he has in fact made clutch shots.

Honestly its probably harder to get a chance on AM teams than for a top AM to get a chance with pros. Not saying the same principles dont apply that if you are good enough it will happen, but there are some crazy egos out there.  There are a lot of players who don't want to see the new player that is playing really well get a chance and surpass them, or they don't want to admit other players are as good or better than them.  Not to mention the amount of players who look at stats/stat whore to look good, wont scrim "bad kids", drop their friends just to team with them again, etc etc.  I, for the most part, don't have a problem with the AM scene and think a lot of the players above me are great dudes and love halo, but there are some definite idiots bottle necking the process of climbing the ladder lol.  Not even saying this like i deserve chances with better teams, im on the best team ive ever been on and am loving playing with my team and have no plans of leaving, just saying what ive observed.

This. Top AM teams are more clique-y than pros in a lot of regards.

Honestly its probably harder to get a chance on AM teams than for a top AM to get a chance with pros. Not saying the same principles dont apply that if you are good enough it will happen, but there are some crazy egos out there. There are a lot of players who don't want to see the new player that is playing really well get a chance and surpass them, or they don't want to admit other players are as good or better than them. Not to mention the amount of players who look at stats/stat whore to look good, wont scrim "bad kids", drop their friends just to team with them again, etc etc. I, for the most part, don't have a problem with the AM scene and think a lot of the players above me are great dudes and love halo, but there are some definite idiots bottle necking the process of climbing the ladder lol. Not even saying this like i deserve chances with better teams, im on the best team ive ever been on and am loving playing with my team and have no plans of leaving, just saying what ive observed.

In this regard, guys like Shotzzy and Saiyan are incredibly lucky. For the most part, they built their reputation in MM/online tourneys and had pro teams willing to take a gamble on them. There's a few others like this as well.

Hey guys I got a few questions for you. I am considering going to Atlanta for Dreamhack to watch Halo. Considering I'm from Europe, it's a pretty expensive and long trip, but I do love the states and always wanted to revisit. I have also become a huge fan of Halo as an esport over the last two years.

My question is whether or not it's worth it, I don't know anything about Atlanta or Dreamhack. 

All that needs to be done is a good ranking system with party restrictions and leaderboards. Then if you're on top of the boards and you're an AM you're bound to get known and a chance. I'm pretty sure Karma got picked up onto Carbon on H2 because he was number 1 in rumble pit at the time. Or at least that was a factor I think. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey guys I got a few questions for you. I am considering going to Atlanta for Dreamhack to watch Halo. Considering I'm from Europe, it's a pretty expensive and long trip, but I do love the states and always wanted to revisit. I have also become a huge fan of Halo as an esport over the last two years.

My question is whether or not it's worth it, I don't know anything about Atlanta or Dreamhack. 

Gonna be honest here. Unless you plan on staying in the states for a longer time and have other plans than just the event, I wouldn't go to event until MLG or a similar TO run the tournaments. Especially considering the cost.

That girl that came from Mexico that had to watch WORLDS in a tent still makes me bitter. Fuck em.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It honestly depends. If you were going specifically for Halo, me personally, i would say no. Because there's no guarantee how well Halo in particular will turn out.

If you're going for the overall experience (Maybe compete in Smash Bros or Street Fighter or something for fun while you're there, check out all of the gadget booths, watch the cosplay competitions, etc. etc.) then it would probably a fun event for you. I'm really not entire sure of the costs associated with your trip though so that would heavily sway my answer one way or the other.

Me personally, I would say if you're going just for Halo, no. Unless you're hoping to get an autograph from some pro players or something like that (which majority of them are mad cool to just walk up and talk to) and even then I'd still probably say no.

That girl that came from Mexico that had to watch WORLDS in a tent still makes me bitter. Fuck em.

And definitely this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of which- where's it at? @@ssbChad

That's literally the video. 

The AM drama just makes me miss the Open thread from the MLG Forums back in the day. 

I remember when we had an AM thread here and it died pretty quickly. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wouldn't go to event until MLG or a similar TO run the tournaments. 

Not justifying flying all the way to NA to watch a Halo event but surely Dreamhack is in the same tier as MLG?

• Upvote (+1) 5

That's literally the video. 

He's talking about that highlight video of Pnda Gaming mollywhopping Allegiance at Vegas. Refer to the gif below in case you forgot

xix09Zx.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

He's talking about that highlight video of Pnda Gaming mollywhopping Allegiance at Vegas. Refer to the gif below in case you forgot

xix09Zx.jpg

You're right I did forget because Panda was rendered irrelevant at Worlds. 

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 3

xix09Zx.jpg

I forgot you were here tbh. You do more drive by's then Towey, but at least he has good content  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We will look back at 2017 as the year Halo missed out on going back to MLG, as they continue to grow, even gears is selling more competitor passes than us.

Overwatch and MLG gonna boom.

xix09Zx.jpg

I've literally never seen Cratos go positive in a scrim yet on the new settings 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did you honestly just say "mollywhopping"?

• Upvote (+1) 5

We will look back at 2017 as the year Halo missed out on going back to MLG, as they continue to grow, even gears is selling more competitor passes than us.

Overwatch and MLG gonna boom.

Gears had like 20 teams at Paris and a bunch of the players don't like Gears 4. 

Facts not falsehoods. 

I love watching Gears, but it isn't roses and unicorns like some make it out to be. Vegas happens to be a hotbed for esports activity currently and its a US venue so of course the Vegas venue is going to sell like crazy. IIRC its the Gears 4 Nationals anyways. 

Also MLG is going all in on Activision esports (namely Overwatch and CoD) and while they can run events outside of Activision, its going to be increasingly hard for them to do so IMO unless they hire a ton more people. 

@@Clap can you shed some light on what has been going on with MLG? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would never fly across the world for a gaming event personally - they are just not worth it. If you're coming to the states go to Disney or something along those lines - make it memorable.

• Upvote (+1) 4

@@Clap can you shed some light on what has been going on with MLG? 

Last active April 20.

But something makes me think he's gonna be here chatting with everyone about how great and fast-growing the Gears or COD scene is while some event they are running is happening. Because somehow he has the time to do that while running an event but hasn't been here for 3 weeks :D

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 11