CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

"Halo was only REALLY POPULAR Because it had No Competition" vs "Halo has more competition now". Didn't mention the shift in player base to PC, the failure of the XB1, the context of H3's success verses H5's context (coming after the biggest video game release failure of the previous year and the least liked Halo game in Halo4) and the quality / perception of the titles it was facing. "Halo ONLY had two titles before it" in some sort of weird attempt to down play the meteoric impact of the first two titles, you're already preaching to the choir you don't need to win every single little argument.

Why would you not consider the context of a game when judging its success. Take CSGO for example, is it coincidence that after CSGO's initial rise there hasn't been a well polished and fully rounded FPS game. Many games came out and fell flat for various reasons so CSGO maintained its spot untouched until Overwatch came through with the first truly good competition and there was a notable drop in population.

CS:GO has actually just recently peaked in population. After the release of Overwatch (In Feb, 2017).

Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/730

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like that @@Towey sees this site as a place to come promote content. At least he thinks of us. Id love more interaction but he's here more than @@Tashi. Keep posting the content please and stick around to chat about it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Follow up tweet

https://twitter.com/CHInStiiNcT/status/857717454981795841

@@Im Bankrupt

Because he was part of the Halo scene since the start of Halo 5 and knows the people running the league and the franchise better than most of us ever will?

Question is, is 343i even trying to build a self sustained/profitable scene ? Doesnt look that way. More like a marketing tool with some set money to spend. Or an experiment you could say.

(still can't believe they blew up 3.5 mils on 2 events)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of toxic discussion, i think the dogpiling on Spartan in here is awful.

Yeah, he has and does say some dumb stuff from time to time (like pretty much everyone) but that's no reason to be a dick to him. This is a guy who apparently has genuine mental health issues and people here act like it's nothing and shit all over him. If how he acts annoys you so much just ignore him.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

What?

ywzUq6r.png

nOkeYRo.png

Clearly Moses didn't take into account the 2 million viewers we had on Twitter and the 3 viewers on Beam.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Formal is streaming the HCS playlist with 2gre if anyone wants to escape the negativity for a while.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Question is, is 343i even trying to build a self sustained/profitable scene ? Doesnt look that way. More like a marketing tool with some set money to spend. Or an experiment you could say.

(still can't believe they blew up 3.5 mils on 2 events)

Yup, they could have easily had 5-7 500K events with that money, along with the other prize money going towards production etc. 

Horrible Atrocious money management. They are like the seven year old who buys the Go-Kart they always wanted and then is pissed when they have no money to buy gas or anything else afterwards. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just want everyone who keeps complaining and saying Halo is dead to figure out how to move on with their lives.  Have literally heard the same shit since Halo 2 but you all get off on coming here bitching about it over and over yet... Halo doesn't die.  Fucking Formal has been grinding Halo 5 the past few weeks, think about that.  Halo is almost 2 years old....dead by the words of many of you, yet has one of the top COD players in the world grinding it.  The game is solid and fun at its core - sure it needs some tweaks but it does keep evolving... that is better than most dumpster games these days.  Hell look what happened to Destiny over the course of its lifespan. 3 years of some of the absolute worst pvp balancing I've ever seen.  That is what your precious Bungie is up too.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I just want everyone who keeps complaining and saying Halo is dead to figure out how to move on with their lives. Have literally heard the same shit since Halo 2 but you all get off on coming here bitching about it over and over yet... Halo doesn't die. Fucking Formal has been grinding Halo 5 the past few weeks, think about that. Halo is almost 2 years old....dead by the words of many of you, yet has one of the top COD players in the world grinding it. The game is solid and fun at its core - sure it needs some tweaks but it does keep evolving... that is better than most dumpster games these days. Hell look what happened to Destiny over the course of its lifespan. 3 years of some of the absolute worst pvp balancing I've ever seen. That is what your precious Bungie is up too.

Oh wow, one pro CoD player (who used to play Reach competitive) is getting into halo 5. Meanwhile, can you guess where halo is in the top played games of XBL (as Microsoft's flagship title)? I'll give you a hint: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Who the heck said Halo is dead in Halo 2? I want to meet this person.

• Upvote (+1) 8

What?

ywzUq6r.png

nOkeYRo.png

Left green box is Peak, right green box is average. From @@Moses_FPS sig

He's always in talks with possible teams to rejoin the scene. But, unless Halo becomes profitable to invest into, he won't.

I've discussed this with Moses before but the 2016 worlds included 20,000 from summit. Also the 2017 average is slightly skewed because it took the total stream average with after the tourney it repeated the whole day lowering the average way down. Also it includes the FFA finals and 2 matches before grand finals. It also doesn't include Twitter.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Who the heck said Halo is dead in Halo 2? I want to meet this person.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was some notable backlash against Halo 2's gameplay changes. I believe there was even a website made called something along the lines of halo2sucks.com
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was some notable backlash against Halo 2's gameplay changes. I believe there was even a website made called something along the lines of halo2sucks.com

Yeah, but calling a game "dead" is different than calling it less skillful or "noob-friendly". 

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's disagreeing with game changes and downslope numbers. At the time Halo 2 was the "Biggest 24 Hours in Entertainment Retail History with $125 Million in Sales" and basically launched XBL into a must have service.

Halo 5 sold well, but people aren't playing it like they did in past titles, top on stream numbers aren't good when not inflated by twitter ads.

The game isn't dead, but I can't imagine a lot of growth happening with no Halo title in the next 18 months. We might have a rough road ahead, hope it works out.

I love all this "dead" talk lol..

For the past 5 years, I have consistently played Shadowrun, Monday Night Combat, Quake Arena Arcade. Throughout that time I also played a lot of CS:GO, Serious Sam II, Awesomenauts, Takedown Red Sabre, Gotham City Imposters, Quake 4, Nexuiz, most arena shooters (doom, doom2, duke nukem wolfenstein 3D) The Orange Box, Perfect Dark and many more that I am missing.

This is all on console. You guys have no idea what a real dead game is lol.

In b4 "BUT POPULATION NUMBERS SALES COMPARED TO EVERYTHING GAME IS DECLINING"

I've recently been getting back into a game called Shootmania which rarely has more than 150 people playing.

When Halo gets there, then we can call it dead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've discussed this with Moses before but the 2016 worlds included 20,000 from summit. Also the 2017 average is slightly skewed because it took the total stream average with after the tourney it repeated the whole day lowering the average way down. Also it includes the FFA finals and 2 matches before grand finals. It also doesn't include Twitter.

The numbers for 17 are correct, at first they were skewed cause the rebroadcast but I had help from my source and they provided me with good data, if you check day 3 for 17 it also has the grand finals average viewership

Also i have no qualms including the summit numbers seeing how it was twitch and they were watching hwc 16

• Upvote (+1) 1