CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

IT'S HAPPY HOLIDAYS NOT HAPPY EASTER

WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO CELEBRATE THE PAGAN HOLIDAY OF OSTARA, UPON WHICH EASTER IS BASED?

Wait what do you mean Ostara was almost a month ago?

It's based off a rigid "wheel of the year" Calendar cycle, not based off the moon phases like Easter and exclusively takes place on the Spring Equinox?

That's stupid.

u ok

lulz.  similar theory as to why christmas is in december (one of many theory's anyway).  It lined up with the pagan celebration of saturnalia and was basically a "we have parties too!" way of converting people.  Interesting but altogether irrelevant.

I took latin in high school because i thought it would be cool to not have any functional foreign language skills.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not saying he's wrong, and he is 100% free to criticize but it's especially ironic when you're calling someone bad who you can't pass up

To be fair, Rob has been better than Maniac for most of H5. He may come off as salty or whatever but he's not wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 3

To be fair, Rob has been better than Maniac for most of H5. He may come off as salty or whatever but he's not wrong.

By what metric

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

IT'S HAPPY HOLIDAYS NOT HAPPY EASTER

WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO CELEBRATE THE PAGAN HOLIDAY OF OSTARA, UPON WHICH EASTER IS BASED?

Wait what do you mean Ostara was almost a month ago?

It's based off a rigid "wheel of the year" Calendar cycle, not based off the moon phases like Easter and exclusively takes place on the Spring Equinox?

That's stupid.

jaredanalyzed.gif

http://i.imgur.com/D3edck2.jpg

By what metric

Just from having played with and against them both a fair bit and keeping up with all the major tournaments. Being fast and pressing your advantages is just so important in Halo (and more important than ever in H5) and there are a handful of really good players from previous games that seem to struggle to do that with the pace of H5. Maniac and, to a lesser extent, Cloud are the biggest examples of this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So I played Halo 5 on an HDTV yesterday at a friends house, and I felt like the aiming was like swimming through a pool of molasses. Shit was rough. Also the ranking system is the worst thing ever period. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I played Halo 5 on an HDTV yesterday at a friends house, and I felt like the aiming was like swimming through a pool of molasses. Shit was rough. Also the ranking system is the worst thing ever period. 

Ranking system or matching system? In my experience the ranking system is easily the best we've ever had and the matching system is worse than h3.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ranking system or matching system? In my experience the ranking system is easily the best we've ever had and the matching system is worse than h3.

ranking system

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Nah, I started reading and now I barely even play video games anymore.  I think it's done something to me.

Wikipedia is pretty cool

• Upvote (+1) 1

People that think the H3 ranking system is better have no clue about rankimg systems at all period. It is just a visual overlay on top of the ELO system

There is only one problem with H5s ranking and that is just because of the low population, that would happen with any ranking system.

It actually doesn't use the elo system.

"Keep in mind we don’t use Arpad Elo’s method for Ranks. We use something more advanced. We can integrate Kills, Deaths, Assists, Headshots, Objectives, etc., into your skills. We can also create a win-based one CSR separate from your individual performance-based one. I’m constantly evaluating which would be best for each part of the game."

Source: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update-%e2%80%93-feb-20/d1b3c1c7-045e-4444-9861-23536c37d22c/posts?page=1#post1

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wikipedia is pretty cool

I wasn't intending to imply that rant was related to what I've been reading (I've been reading Terry Pratchett)...but rather that my lack of gaming is putting me on the brink of insanity so as to lead me to babble more than usual.

But as a serious reply to that statement: TVTropes is better for the kind of day of reading where you just look up and suddenly realize you have 28 and a half tabs open.

• Downvote (-1) 1

What's wrong with it?

It's dumb flawed. The game assumes what your rank is and decides to put you into that MMR. My friend is NOT a platinum player He should of been playing in Gold, or lower. He was played ranked since Preseason Halo 5 in the beginning of the game, and the game assumes he's a onyx player in HCS. That is ********.

That's exactly the problem with TrueSkill and the H3 system in general.

TrueSkill was designed "to accurately determine a player's rank in as little as 13 games" (sure, it took longer to get to 50, but the system would set it up so you'd climb really quickly if you did well in all of those early games)...but the goal of the system was to accurately determine a rank based off early performance.

After you got way up in the number of games (thousands of games) the game became pretty damn sure you were what rank it said you were, so it became nearly impossible to move ranks (most people called it Rank Locking).  You could win 15 games in a row and not move a single rank.  Because the "uncertainty" (Sigma) factor was now so low that it wouldn't actually adjust your rank (Mu).

This is what led to the later-in-life booster accounts that had thousands of losses to the game was CERTAIN the player was awful (even if they weren't) playing alongside newer accounts to get them to 50 as quickly as possible.  Because if you could win with a player THAT BAD on your team, surely you were the best in the game...by the algorithm's thought processes.

I think a big issue currently is the placements put you too high up. You shouldn't really ever be placed higher than plat after only 10 games.

That's exactly the problem with TrueSkill and the H3 system in general.

TrueSkill was designed "to accurately determine a player's rank in as little as 13 games" (sure, it took longer to get to 50, but the system would set it up so you'd climb really quickly if you did well in all of those early games)...but the goal of the system was to accurately determine a rank based off early performance.

After you got way up in the number of games (thousands of games) the game became pretty damn sure you were what rank it said you were, so it became nearly impossible to move ranks (most people called it Rank Locking).  You could win 15 games in a row and not move a single rank.  Because the "uncertainty" (Sigma) factor was now so low that it wouldn't actually adjust your rank (Mu).

This is what led to the later-in-life booster accounts that had thousands of losses to the game was CERTAIN the player was awful (even if they weren't) playing alongside newer accounts to get them to 50 as quickly as possible.  Because if you could win with a player THAT BAD on your team, surely you were the best in the game...by the algorithm's thought processes.

My friend has played less than 30 games of ranked in Halo 5 and has an average kd of a .7 but matching against Onyx players is "normal"?

OT but I matched @@NavG123 earlier today and when the game started it was 3v4 but one of his teammates left seconds after and well...

zqa6uQY.png

I think this proves he's a 1v1 kid  :kappa:

The only thing this proves is that you can win a 3v3 with a pro carrying you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My friend has played less than 30 games of ranked in Halo 5 and has an average kd of a .7 but matching against Onyx players is "normal"?

Nah, but I think gold or lower players are a myth.  I think they were made up and we were told to believe in them, but they're not actually there.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1