CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think we're going to get a big Halo 3 themed update for 5 to coincide with 3's anniversary.

We might, but it's just so late into the game's life cycle I can't imagine enough people caring to make it financially viable.

I just want classic H3 with remastered H2:A campaign-tier graphics, 60fps and dedicated servers man, that's it :'(

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not trying to play devils advocate, but can anyone tell me of any AAA game titles that don't advertise with their focus on singleplayer?

Just think back to ads I saw for the last CoD, GoW etc they all focused on the story, not the multiplayer. I guess it may be a little different as I agree Halo has more of a historical multiplayer reputation than some of the games I'm thinking of, but just curious as to whether anyone has seen any specific multiplayer adverts.

(This could be a UK thing and you guys in the US get different ads to us)

call of duty used to do that a lot. they had some pretty cool ads too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wIZp_E2CxQ

• Upvote (+1) 1

i know this has been posted before, but if 343 wont listen to an org owner, i dont think this mess will do anything but drive them to complete radio silence

• Upvote (+1) 8

i know this has been posted before, but if 343 wont listen to an org owner, i dont think this mess will do anything but drive them to complete radio silence

Major props to him for STILL trying to help us and drag us out of the mess we're in, despite not being involved with the scene anymore

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone else think it's a bit ridiculous that we can't even get 343 to entertain the idea of changing competitive settings nearly 1 ½ years after release?  It's really rare in today's gaming culture to see a developer ignore one of their strongest communities so damn much.

I really don't think changes are going to happen, but I obviously hope they do.

It is also really rare for a supposed triple A game to release in an unplayable state whereby the consumers were given no notice what so ever. But hey 343 are breaking all kind of records and notions.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone else think it's a bit ridiculous that we can't even get 343 to entertain the idea of changing competitive settings nearly 1 ½ years after release?  It's really rare in today's gaming culture to see a developer ignore one of their strongest communities so damn much.

Quin won't have it. Imagine the sigh of relief that Gears players felt when he left. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

It's disheartening because casuals seem to think we have 343 answering to our every beck and call, and that we're over-catered to, when in actual fact we really aren't. I'm super thankful to 343 for doing everything they've done with comp so far, but this blatant filtering and/or blocking of feedback is extremely annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It is also really rare for a supposed triple A game to release in an unplayable state

It really isn't anymore, for example:

Infinite Warfare (kinda)

AC:Unity

BF4

MCC

And that's just a few I can recall right now. The new norm is not finishing your game, releasing it broken and them ramming it full of shitty microtransactions that only serve to provide more revenue at the cost of key features to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quin won't have it. Imagine the sigh of relief that Gears players felt when he left. 

He's literally strangling this game from growing, its so sad. How many times do we have to ask, 'let go already, man, nobody likes your ideas'?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorta feels like I'm the only person who would rather start by making the AR a pickup and completely removing radar but keeping movement the same.

Imo the movement takes some skill, has some punishment if its abused/misused and more than anything its fun :intensifies:

• Upvote (+1) 2

i still cant believe that no statement has been made regarding worlds. the longer they stay quiet, the worse it looks.hopefuully the announce ment is a complete restructuring of 343 and the hcs

• Upvote (+1) 3

So more and more people are coming to terms that we need to go back to a classic halo to succeed. Hell even the other major esports franchises are recognizing this. CoD is going back to boots on the grounds and starcraft is remastering brood war. Every other big esports hasn't changed the core gameplay. Dota, CSGO, *fingers crossed* hopefully Quake Champions is functionally very similar. But 343 refuses to listen to anyone or anything that disagrees with their idea of what halo is and should be. They'd rather take a poll from reddit full of BTB/Warzone kids that think it's fine as is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So more and more people are coming to terms that we need to go back to a classic halo to succeed. Hell even the other major esports franchises are recognizing this. CoD is going back to boots on the grounds and starcraft is remastering brood war. Every other big esports hasn't changed the core gameplay. Dota, CSGO, *fingers crossed* hopefully Quake Champions is functionally very similar. But 343 refuses to listen to anyone or anything that disagrees with their idea of what halo is and should be. They'd rather take a pool from reddit full of BTB/Warzone kids that think it's fine as is.

Couldn't agree more. The gaming industry is moving back to the state where its games were more popular, i.e. Brood War, boots on the ground CoD etc., Halo absolutely needs to do the same.

Armor abilities are tried and tested and are still worse than simple gameplay that Halo had when it was THE game to be playing. It's time to give up with all this advanced hyper fast momentum based movement mechanic bullshit and go back to basics.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's kind of the tradition though now right? Waited forever for NBNS to the point of the game dying. Waited forever for H4 to get its shit together on some weapon balancing and ranking systems. Seems like H5 fits right in.

The reason people want to go back to when games were more popular is because good and fun gameplay is universal. It doesn't matter what year it is. Feature and mechanic creep to try and sell the new Halo has resulted in an abomination the same way it did for CoD and people are realizing they lost what people liked to begin with in the transition. BF1 is amazing and people were worried bc WW1 is "boring." Its not just shooters either. WoW has been moving to simplify itself and has recently released its best expansion in years. Old school RS has 2/3rds or more of the total RS population now etc. DOOM did well despite being relatively simple. Zelda is back because they chose mechanics with taste and didn't really try to heap motion controls in this time. The Dark Souls series basically has a cult following because they actually wanted to challenge gamers and didn't try to hold their hands.

It really isn't anymore, for example:

Infinite Warfare (kinda)

AC:Unity

BF4

MCC

And that's just a few I can recall right now. The new norm is not finishing your game, releasing it broken and them ramming it full of shitty microtransactions that only serve to provide more revenue at the cost of key features to the game.

Mass effect Andromeda, fallout, batman Arkham knight...

It really is becoming more and more common. :/

Mass effect Andromeda, fallout, batman Arkham knight...

It really is becoming more and more common. :/

Yup yup yup.

It's literally standard procedure to release a game and get the revenue first, then maybe kinda sorta patch it at a later date now.

How did I match a t03 (2 Onyx, one Diamond 6) in Proving Grounds while solo-queing when the guys I get on my team are literally Silver 2-5? Like they were actually ranked Silver 2, 4, and 5

I guess we could call you... the Silver Smurfer :kappa:

Nah, that actually blows. It's all too common in PG right now, because at "higher" ranks, most people are searching in groups, and the solo searchers who get paired together are, on average, definitively worse than the people they match.

Deep down I know it won't achieve anything, but I decided to make a post on Waypoint since 343 always seem to want us to give feedback there.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/3928f141c8e14499a4d33d2ddaa86008/topics/pro-feedback-being-ignored/ea6d6f6b-9cdc-4a4f-82e7-587488c6220d/posts?page=1

Who wants to put bets on it being locked for some trivial reason?

Give it an hour before it's locked

Deep down I know it won't achieve anything, but I decided to make a post on Waypoint since 343 always seem to want us to give feedback there.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/3928f141c8e14499a4d33d2ddaa86008/topics/pro-feedback-being-ignored/ea6d6f6b-9cdc-4a4f-82e7-587488c6220d/posts?page=1

Who wants to put bets on it being locked for some trivial reason?

Worth a try for sure but the HCS forum is like a ghost town unfortunately.  Im up for trying almost anything at this point though.

Havent been on waypoint for quite a while, thought id take a look on the proving grounds feedback thread.  Lo and behold on the first page is someone saying they replace snipers with proving grounds despite snipers being really popular.

I was pretty disappointed that snipers disappeared but that happened way before proving grounds appeared as i remember it.

Edit:  sorry for the double post

This is the double edged sword of having the developer "support" and manage the competitive side of things, especially one as corporate as MS/343. There's so much red tape, different agendas, and everything gets lost in translation and nothing ever happens. It's been 17 months, and so far we've gotten better map weapon layouts. They've gripped it too tightly and its suffocating, no lan support and forced settings has nearly crushed it aside from these big prize money tournaments that they front to keep it alive. The interesting thing is that you can go read waypoint/reddit/youtube and you'll see that the universal settings and H5 feels like competitive is being shoved down casual's throat. By forcing "competitive" settings on casual/social play, and casual settings on competitive, both camps aren't happy and quit playing their game. 

Having no dev support (read as restrictions) freed MLG and the competitive community to consistently test and modify settings and do whatever played best, and look where they got. We can suggest settings and provide fantastic feedback all we want, but at the end of the day 343 has to listen, test, implement, and repeat. Otherwise this is all falling on deaf ears. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yup yup yup.

It's literally standard procedure to release a game and get the revenue first, then maybe kinda sorta patch it at a later date now.

Its a worrying trend. With this and the influx of microtransactions I think they are really starting to take gamers for granted. I would take an increase in cost on the base game if it cut this shit out of video games for good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please stop stating the obvious man, I already know it's his team and org.

Let's say we think it's fine that the owner can walk into the stage. How about each players parents/family? Well..U can't say no! It's their mom and dad, How about their best friends? U have to draw the line at some point. I think no one should walk into the stage..to keep it professional and correct. It doesn't matter how much u are involved.

:mj: