CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Universal settings arent even real. Its an industry buzzword atm, not an actuality. I have said this before but the only games that even comes close is CS and starcraft and even those are debateable

Overwatch, Rocket League, League of Legends (+ Drafts)

Who cares if we lose the minuscule amount of viewers because there are no autos on the map?

This is the massive misconception. It isn't about trying to rope in new viewers or cater to casuals, that isn't the goal of unified gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Were the servers especially bad for anyone else last night? Usually they aren't too awful for me, but sheesh they were terrible last night. 

I had god servers last night.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had god servers last night.

I'm dumb so I never tell the difference but my friends were also saying they felt amazing

This is the massive misconception. It isn't about trying to rope in new viewers or cater to casuals, that isn't the goal of unified gameplay.

It's not a massive misconception though. They literally have 1:1 correlation.

The idea of having unified gameplay ties into the idea that it will ease more casual players into a competitive environment more naturally; regardless of the cost of a lesser skillgap. 

Un-unifying the settings means that we would lose the potential audience (not referring to Twitch audience).

• Upvote (+1) 1

A minor break from all this HCS talk :

[EP8 trailer here]

Hype train departing.

Edit : L8  :mj:

one of OW's biggest criticism is that it's hard to watch and those other 2 aren't FPS

• Upvote (+1) 1

All this 343 talk about how they want to look into the weapon balance bothers me. Imagine if they tweaked ar and then went back to ar starts after summer season. Thought scares the shit out of me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How come swat and mythic snipers get no radar? Are casual players extremely confused when they play them?

• Upvote (+1) 7

Were the servers especially bad for anyone else last night? Usually they aren't too awful for me, but sheesh they were terrible last night.

They were solid for me outside of a few games in the new playlist. But when i played a game of octagon I had a terrible case of heavy aim.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

one of OW's biggest criticism is that it's hard to watch and those other 2 aren't FPS

OW's poor spectating prowess is just because of the rhythm of its gameplay. Separate issue, IMO.

They aren't FPS but they still demonstrate the success of a unified and cohesive audience. Everyone plays, enjoys, and critiques the exact same game. There is no giant rift in the Overwatch or Rocket League fanbases relative to Halo's, and that's great for growth.

It's not a massive misconception though. They literally have 1:1 correlation.

The idea of having unified gameplay ties into the idea that it will ease more casual players into a competitive environment more naturally

That is not the reason you implement unified settings. It's far more macro of a concept and is not as materialistic as that. Its benefits sometimes can't even be measured with numbers and stats.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Is there not meant to be a DMR there or something?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, I avoid Empire SH like it's the Plague.

Can you give merit to universal settings from a gameplay perspective? Strictly based on gameplay, what is a positive aspect of universal settings? I only see negatives. Not a single positive. Don't throw population, viewers, familiarity, etc. at me. It has no merit when speaking strictly about gameplay. Only talking about gameplay, what are the merits?

Spoiler: There are none. When both communities have to fight eachother to try to get their style of game accepted, it turns us against eachother instead of unifying us like 343i would have you believe. Universal settings work in the games you listed because those games are competitive from the start. Not to mention the LCS has a different draft than the playerbase.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So changes to the mechanics by switching to PC is a valid argument, but changing the mechanics back to what made Halo popular and original isn't? 

I don't get why this is hard for you. They are two completely different topics. I agree that the core mechanics need to return to a more classic style, but that has literally nothing at all to do with the merits of shifting competitive play to PC, even if we pretend console aim assists are mechanics in any way essential to Halo. You're going out of your way to misrepresent and outright avoid the arguments I'm making.

People have jumped ship because they games aren't as good as they used to be. Switching to PC doesn't solve the fundamental problems with the alterations to the mechanics and core of the game. What made halo great was it's simple but deep gameplay. Guns-Nades-Melee. Until that is back, the Halo we are nostalgic for wont return. It has nothing to do with PC>Xbox. 

You changed the subject and then argued against a position I never supported. I did not say halo would "return" if they just moved competitive to PC. I said it would be good for the competitive scene and for Halo as a competitive game. My opinion on the many issues with the core gameplay have nothing at all to do with that assertion. To be clear, again, I agree that a return to core Halo gameplay would be good for the series and would very likely be a more significant change overall. But I can believe that and also suggest that competitive Halo on PC would be better.

Even Halo 5, a game I strongly dislike, would be better as a PC game, assuming the (apparently not blatantly obvious) removal of console aim assist mechanics and a decent port.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

5 games in the new playlist (mostly golds and plats in placement games) and holy shit this games a lot more fun. Teamwork though is much more rewarded, we were 18-14 up on Slayer Truth, ended up losing 50-25 against To4.

I don't think that's really got anything to do with universal settings. I personally don't think it's a hard watch either, it's hard to appreciate the nuances of the strategy / gameplay unless you play it but if you're looking for entertainment it's essentially like watching a Marvel fight scene play out in real time. I would also point out that their full scale esports programme hasn't even started properly and they've beaten our best concurrent (~160k for OGN finals just last week, shit time for US viewers as well).

There are pros and cons to universal settings, both are pretty much undeniable we just need to decide where we want to come down. You can't have your cake and eat it in this scenario, by sticking as the 'premiere experience' as the face of casual and competitive you also have to compromise with the vision of the developer (see CSGO this week having $2000 negevs, my lordy).

• Upvote (+1) 2

5 games in the new playlist (mostly golds and plats in placement games) and holy shit this games a lot more fun. Teamwork though is much more rewarded, we were 18-14 up on Slayer Truth, ended up losing 50-25 against To4.

solo q is still as cancerous as ever

• Upvote (+1) 4

That is not the reason you implement unified settings. It's far more macro of a concept and is not as materialistic as that. Its benefits sometimes can't even be measured with numbers and stats.

I can go into lengths about the reasons you implement unified settings but I'm just choosing not to because it has been beaten to death. My explanation, yes, was just small part of it, but it plays a big role in how it's perceived in the eyes of consumers. 

I could rant about this for hours, but the fact that you bring up League of Legends is irrelevant. The game is designed entirely different. What would you change about Legaue of Legends to make it more competitive? Remove Baron/Dragons/Jungle? Obviously you wouldn't do something like that because it would DRASTICALLY change how the game plays and games would snowball all to hell once one team got up 2-3 kills.

It's not a macro of a concept, it's a very minute concept designed eliminate any type of derived sub-community and splitting the population. And to that I say, who cares?... Like I said in my first post, we've done just fine before.. We can do just fine now. It doesn't matter if the settings are unified if the base gameplay is horrendous. Furthermore, you speak as if these settings are so different, that other players can't grasp the concept of some tweaked settings here and there.. Would you care to argue about how CoD's Core vs Hardcore mode is a terrible model, even though *cough* their games are still far more popular than ours *cough*... Whilst ALSO containing the largest console eSport right now that contains different settings than both of those respective modes?! I will say that it was oddly convenient that you left out Call of Duty in retrospect to this argument since we're talking about console eSports and then proceed to bring League of Legends into the discussion.

So don't say "that is not the reason you implement unified settings" because it's very clear I have a solid understanding of everything involved.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Gotta disagree with overwatch. Arcade throws a lot out the window except for the function of the heroes. There is 1v1 and 3v3 "slayer" and 6v6 with the same objective but with either unlimited hero selection or randomized selection. The difference between quickplay and ranked is like going from team slayer to slayers in team areana.

But from a functionality perspective, yes the heroes always act the same so if thats what you mean then ignore me lol