CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

FFA could be interesting in this game if they made it pistol or br only, no power-ups or power weapons, SA radar.

At a minimum, I think Arena or a ranked version of it and FFA should have the new settings. I would be fine if they left the other playlists the way they are know (since I never play them) and had 1-2 with actual competitive settings

In an ideal world, I would want all ranked playlists to be magnum only starts.  FFA can keep full radar.  Everything else would have SA radar.

Why would you want to keep full radar for FFA? 

I would like to see no AR, and SA radar for doubles as well.

Yes please, if they don't change it to Pistol starts with SA radar I wont be able to play it anymore. I'm already getting triggered every time I die to an AR in PG.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If FFA implemented the settings for HCS iwth slight tweaks I'd gladly put money on a FFA pass for a EU event just for the fun of it.

FFA could be interesting in this game if they made it pistol or br only, no power-ups or power weapons, SA radar.

Fixed, BR is way too easy to use.

• Upvote (+1) 3

why has roybox, contra, commonly not become a thing yet?

Commonly is running with Cryptik in place of Devon I believe.

Why would you want to keep full radar for FFA?

FFA has always been full radar with 8 people.  When there are 8 people all against each other with precision weapons camping in a corner isn't really a viable strategy to win like it is in 4v4.  You might get some cheap kills sure, but at the end of the game you're going to be at the bottom.  In that case, radar is used more aggressively to switch from target to target to target quickly and rack up kills.

ideally FFA setup would be:

NO power weapons

NO power ups

NO AR starts/Automatics of any kind

Magnum only

8 players

default radar

people were complaining about how random and stupidly chaotic default FFA was with 8 people, so they reduced the number to 6 to address this.  The problem is that they changed the wrong thing.  The number of people was never the problem.  FFA is supposed to be chaotic.  Chaotic in a way where precise gunskill and quick target aquisition gives you an advantage more than anything else which requires most battles be fought against the same precision weapons.  In Halo 5 this has never been the case. Its always more of a rock-paper-scissors-lucky spawn situation. SR beats SMG beats AR beats Magnum and camo/os + rockets/shotty/scatter beats EVERYTHING!!!  And whether or not you are able to obtain those items very often comes down to a lucky spawn and has nothing to do with earning them.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Commonly and Ryanoob on the same team would make them that much more a dangerous OBJ team.

Still need to slay, especially in this game. I like both Commonly and Ryanoob on their own, though.

no more settings discussions pls

I just want intel :'(

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And i really just need to reiterate how awesome it is to have Menke back.  I'm sure his statistical analysis of the fact that "At diamond and above luck determines who wins an AR battle more than skill" was the final push to get it out of competitive.

this was the strangest sentence though ... I absolutely 100% guarantee that an AR battle between Royal 2 and a Diamond player (I was Diamond 2-3 in the first couple seasons of Arena) would end in Royal 2's favor the vast majority of the time, because his strafe + aim + burst fire would be better than mine.  ARs should be removed, but the idea that luck determines who wins AR battles between me and Royal 2 makes no sense to me.  Pistol battles have more of a skill gap, but AR battles still have a skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Have to think EG is just waiting for one of these teams to implode... probably Crowd Pleasers (it has Spartan :kappa: ). If all the current teams stick, who would they pick up as a fourth? Respectful? Articc? BabyJ? Monster? Nemassist? Randa?  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have to think EG is just waiting for one of these teams to implode... if they don't, who would they pick up as a fourth? Respectful? Articc? Randa? :walshy:

@@Commonly

At least take the free pro league spot buddy :)

this was the strangest sentence though ... I absolutely 100% guarantee that an AR battle between Royal 2 and a Diamond player (I was Diamond 2-3 in the first couple seasons of Arena) would end in Royal 2's favor the vast majority of the time, because his strafe + aim + burst fire would be better than mine. ARs should be removed, but the idea that luck determines who wins AR battles between me and Royal 2 makes no sense to me. Pistol battles have more of a skill gap, but AR battles still have a skill gap.

it's between onyx and diamond. Not pros and diamonds lol.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Adding a filter to the map isn't a fix, it's still trash. They need to straight up remove the rotating light from the map.

The filter hasn't been on any variant for many, many months.

I don't think they fixed the lighting though I'll have to double check.

this was the strangest sentence though ... I absolutely 100% guarantee that an AR battle between Royal 2 and a Diamond player (I was Diamond 2-3 in the first couple seasons of Arena) would end in Royal 2's favor the vast majority of the time, because his strafe + aim + burst fire would be better than mine.  ARs should be removed, but the idea that luck determines who wins AR battles between me and Royal 2 makes no sense to me.  Pistol battles have more of a skill gap, but AR battles still have a skill gap.

I know, right? I mean, you can acknowledge that the settings were shit now that this has been tacitly acknowledge by the changes, but we still need to pretend H5 was a respectable competitive FPS up to this point. Quality mental gymnastics here. We have statistical confirmation of this fact, but some romanticized notion of how good a pro must be with a joke weapon trumps that, clearly.

When an AR "duel" comes down to one player absolute and the other dead (EXTREMELY COMMON) it is simply a fact that luck of the spread (bullets deviating off target or into the head) was the deciding factor. There is no meaningful shooting skill-gap with the AR (RNG, massive reticle, and even more ridiculous bullet magnetism the the magnum). Tap firing has minimal impact within the range at which the AR is generally used (outside of the "mash faster than the fire rate" exploit that I remember being patched). Strafe? lol. You mean THRUST? No.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

True but he's Royal2.  i think when you are making a statistical analysis like this there will always be certain outliers.  Some guys are just so ridiculously good they can almost "manufacture" a skill gap.  I totally believe that if you ran a short range AR-only octogan with a diamond 3 and an onyx 2000 the result would be pretty even.

When an AR "duel" comes down to one player absolute and the other dead (EXTREMELY COMMON) it is simply a fact that luck of the spread (bullets deviating off target or into the head) was the deciding factor.

Edit: ALso this ^