CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

the reason we wont get any changes on a massive scale is because it would require new maps. and since forge maps stutter a lot in h5 and the devs are to lazy to remake good maps or even make good maps period, our only option is to tweak things just a bit so that it's still playable on default maps.

this of course doesn't mean much when it comes to weapon tunings/ selection

@@Mikwen talked to some designers recently:

It doesn't sound great that they were "shocked" by his opinions on the gameplay...

of course it's shocking to them, they don't understand halo on a comp level, at least not the people in charge of these decisions.

• Upvote (+1) 8

by that same token, having ar starts clearly didn't grow the game either. removing it isn't going to hurt growth, especially when it's only up from here.

So we should remove ARs just because? That's not a reason.

Growth is dependent on promotion and support, not the starting weapon. If you want growth, keep watching and just hope 343 and ESL start promoting their events. If you want bigger crowds, then use bigger venues closer to the rest of North America. West Coast events alienate huge chunks of fans who can't travel that far. These are the issues, not how the game plays. If anything, this is the best version of Halo we've had in a really long time. Let's try to embrace that. 

• Downvote (-1) 11

It really makes me sad just how out of touch they are. Mikwen tweeted that they had NO IDEA IT WAS THE PRO CONSENSUS. Thats actual so obsurd.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Growth is dependent on promotion and support, not the starting weapon. If you want growth, keep watching and just hope 343 and ESL start promoting their events. If you want bigger crowds, then use bigger venues closer to the rest of North America. West Coast events alienate huge chunks of fans who can't travel that far. These are the issues, not how the game plays. If anything, this is the best version of Halo we've had in a really long time. Let's try to embrace that. 

we should remove it because of pro input, and all the vast meta discussions that explain why AR's are counterproductive to the halo meta and dumb it down.

>this is the best version of halo we've had in a really long time.

this means very little since the titles that preceded it range from average(h2a) to dogshit (h4). doesn't really make h5 a good halo game by that metric

your argument is the same short term thinking that has been plauging console esports in recent years; throw money at the problem instead of making a game people want to play and then supporting it on a comp level. and then people wonder why we've lost ground to gears or why cod is now going backwards according to recent rumors. it's not to say that better venue options shouldn't be looked at, but isn't going to solve the games population problem. in order for a game to grow, it must first be able to retain players. h5 is anything but good at that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not even the pro consensus.

It's a general consensus among anyone who qualifies as a Hardcore Halo 4v4 player.

I'm someone who has been pro-autos from day 1, and even I've been saying THE BALANCE BETWEEN AUTOS AND PRECISION WEAPONS IN HALO 5 IS AWFUL, JACKED, AND BACKWARDS.  It shouldn't take a rocket scientist or a PhD for someone getting paid 6 figures to be able to figure out that same thing.

oh trust me dude ive been around for a LONG TIME. I want this honestly more than anything in the world. As much as a i hate what im about to type, I just dont see it happening. I would seriously give ANYTHING to have that back.

With all the pros that work there, how has no one asked them "what made halo successful in the past, and what can we do to bring that back?" I mean i guess at the end of the day its all about sales to them. If the game sells ITS GOLD BEST HALO WOO HALO. But damn man, what ever happened to putting love and effort into something. Don't even get me started on MCC...........

*Snip* Truth about 343s level of incompetence.

At this point any announcement they make is me attempting to figure out what little thing they changed to make it broken, unplayable, no longer fun, etc. Everytime I hear a 343 employee say we put this in because we thought it would be cool all I could think is who gives a fuck, I don't care what you wanna see in a game. There's a community of people asking you to put things they wanna see in, and they're the ones buying your product.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I said it during the event and i'll say it again

It didn't feel like a world championships. Even more so at the end when OpTic only got a trophy. No MVP, no rings and especially since it was at the same place as much smaller tournaments from last year

• Upvote (+1) 9

>this is the best version of halo we've had in a really long time.

this means very little since the titles that preceded it range from average(h2a) to dogshit (h4). doesn't really make h5 a good halo game by that metric

your argument is the same short term thinking that has plauging console esports in recent years; throw money at the problem instead of making a game people want to play and then supporting it on a comp level. and then people wonder why we've lost ground to gears or why cod is now going backwards according to recent rumors.

Halo 5 is a fantastic game independent of the quality of Reach - H2A. I'm not saying Halo 5 is good in comparison - it's just good. A Good Halo game means the community and it's known players follow. That's why it matters. 

The second part of your argument doesn't make sense to me because this is the game I want to play. Properly supported events are what's missing if you're a fan of the current Halo style. While many players prefer the pace of Halo 3 or previous games, many players don't. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No radar, no sprint, no starting autos, base movement speed to 120%. Game mostly fixed.

So completely change the game half way through it's life? I'm all for tweaks but let's keep it realistic.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So completely change the game half way through it's life? I'm all for tweaks but let's keep it realistic.

NBNS was used by this same company.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I said it during the event and i'll say it again

It didn't feel like a world championships. Even more so at the end when OpTic only got a trophy. No MVP, no rings and especially since it was at the same place as much smaller tournaments from last year

Exactly, it felt like just another event. It's obvious they don't actually care about any of this if they thought it was acceptable to call this weekend the "World Championship" of Halo. Not trying to discredit any of the production guys or casters as I think they did a great job, but the people behind the scenes who organize this stuff at 343 and ESL should be ashamed that they have made us look like a joke to the rest of the eSports world.

NBNS was used by this same company.

They weren't changing their game though.

All of 343's games are perfect and require absolutely no changes.

Halo 5 is a fantastic game independent of the quality of Reach - H2A. I'm not saying Halo 5 is good in comparison - it's just good. A Good Halo game means the community and it's known players follow. That's why it matters. 

The second part of your argument doesn't make sense to me because this is the game I want to play. Properly supported events are what's missing if you're a fan of the current Halo style. While many players prefer the pace of Halo 3 or previous games, many players don't. 

well considering it's community is so low on the most played games list for xbox, it's the lowest selling halo in the series(albeit for various reasons), and that the population is dwindled so much, i'd say that community following it is running on fumes. 

>i want to play

>many players dont

you mean the minority of halo players who didn't jump ship after 3/reach? what is this waypoint? dont tell me you actually believe the majority of halo fans actually prefer the newer halos to the older ones. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think I can go back to sprintless Halo. The movement is what makes Halo 5 so great. And removing the AR wouldn't help the game grow. Thousands of viewers won't start watching the competitive side because of magnum starts. The two aren't related. 

It falls in with "Build it and they will come" or "Give players a reason to give a shit and they will".

If a good portion of the competitive scene has issues with the current gameplay of H5 and it could be improved to be more enjoyable, it should. This should also transfer and been seen by others/outsiders. Back in Reach the players/community didn't enjoy the game and that showed to outsiders. If the current community doesn't enjoy the game they're playing and having tournaments for then what makes you think others will want to get involved in it? The answer, they wouldn't, they don't and didn't.

If we can improve the game to make it more enjoyable then that may just get people to come back or others to try it out and be involved who wouldn't have before. There really isn't a down side trying and testing things out lmao.

When do we start discussing their place among the greatest duos of all time?

Over a year ago. I'd have them firmly in second, with RoyBox a close third.