CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

On the topic of Universal settings for a game... I think it works. However, the settings need to be designed around eSports in the first place. The casual players will learn it and play it regardless.

what we have is an attempt to hold your hand to make you feel like you are good vs making you learn and get better. 343 figures more people will stick around since they get multikills that have 5 second countdowns using radar and OP autos and pulling off sniper headshots with magnetism so high some bullets will build around walls. except no one wants that. i feel better by pushing myself to hit the next rank and knowing that i've improved vs being given kills that i didnt earn. and with the now proven heavy aim, they didnt even do it right. they fucked up fucking it up and what we have in front of us makes me sad 

On the topic of Universal settings for a game... I think it works. However, the settings need to be designed around eSports in the first place. The casual players will learn it and play it regardless.

Doubtful, casuals have been actively avoiding competitive settings for 16 years. Making them quit their play style cold turkey would just make them stop playing ranked Arena altogether.

They need to be sold on competitive settings, not forced into it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Has there been an update by an employee from 343 about competitive settings or are pros just testing out settings to see what THEY feel would be the best fit for competitive if the settings were to change?

Has there been any testing for Haven as a competitive map?

Crazy to me that the best looking map (wow a map that isn't an asymmetrical human structure?!?) hasn't been picked up.

I could see it working for Slayer or Strongholds but haven't seen it in Proving Grounds. Does it play poorly or something? What am I missing here?

Strongholds is bad because 343's design team doesn't know where to place Strongholds, Slayer would be great but the current variant has a SAW on it.

Map could be used but they botched it and now everyone has a bad taste in their mouthes and will probably shut it down.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Strongholds is bad because 343's design team doesn't know where to place Strongholds, Slayer would be great but the current variant has a SAW on it.

Map could be used but they botched it and now everyone has a bad taste in their mouthes and will probably shut it down.

The placements aren't quite so bad, it's just the size of the top mid hold makes fighting for it extremely cheesy.

The placements aren't quite so bad, it's just the size of the top mid hold makes fighting for it extremely cheesy.

What you don't like playing ring around the rosie?

Ring around the Rosie only works when you have to watch your ENTIRE screen, not the corner of it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The placements aren't quite so bad, it's just the size of the top mid hold makes fighting for it extremely cheesy.

I never understood the GIANT fucking dais they put in the middle.  I think if top mid were a little smaller but open it would be fine.

While we certainly have no idea how truly effective global settings are (too many factors), we do know that Team Arena is the second or third most popular ranked playlist in the game. Compared to MLG, which had such a minuscule piece of the H3 population, this is a major positive.

Purely from the perspective of maintaining a healthy population for the "tournament" playlist, universal settings is doing its job.

That depends what you think it's job is.

The MLG list did a fantastic job of fostering a grassroots comp halo scene.

I don't think TA does this at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

so he says everything we need right now which is awesome, but says that in order for things to get better the pros need to stop changing teams, talking about girlfriends on twitter and stop criticizing 343 on twitter.

seems strange. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

Nothing will ever stop Halo players from playing musical chairs with their teams after every event. It's competitive Halo culture.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nothing will ever stop Halo players from playing musical chairs with their teams after every event. It's competitive Halo culture.

money

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was the same for CoD tho wasn't it? That seems to have slowed down by a lot the last year or two. Not sure if it was a rule change or what but it's definitely jarring when Halo teams feel a few scrims and 1 event is enough to decide whether or not the team has hit their skill cap. I'm not a pro but isn't there more room for growth than that? 

Also can't speak enough to how important a branding of a player can be for teams. Look at Bjergsen on TSM, Aphromoo on CLG, etc. Shit look at Doublelift on CLG, when he left some some followed him but a lot also stayed with CLG to support the team they grew to love because of him. In Halo you just kinda follow players around for the most part. It's less about the orgs and more just players. That's cool but it's gotta suck for investing in the scene, and leads to less meaningful interactions, less interest, etc. TSM vs CLG is probably the best example, those players retired long ago and it's still the biggest rivalry in esports. 

• Upvote (+1) 2