CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

No weapon that actually tracks should be anywhere near comp settings IMO.

But with H5, I guess that means removing the sniper too  :simms:

In all seriousness the weapons are annoying with not a lot of skillgap. Hydra, Plasma Cannon, Autos, Br, etc. All these guns shoot for you.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Reading /r/Halo can be brutal. It seems the current demand is more focus on BTB. As well as this gem:

I also think it's funny how many people say they miss Halo 3. I remember when Halo 3 came out the MLG forums constantly shit on the game and wanted Halo 2 back.

To be fair, BTB is a fucking mess. I used to play tons of it in H3, but H5 BTB is horrible
  • Upvote (+1) 8

New SCUF PS4 controller that is almost a straight replica of the 360 controller looks BEAST!

For real, the PS controllers always had zero flow, but now Scuf made one that actually looks usable

I think the Halo experiment just needs to end. It was an OK run but even a new developer (ie anyone but 343) can't bring this series back. Honestly there is just too much going against the Halo series right now. PC dominates the overall gaming market. There are like 3 times as many PS4's than XBONE's in the market. A huge chunk of Halo's fan base switched to COD during Reach/H4 and never came back. The next Halo may be the last and whoever develops it needs to put all they have into saving it. Needs to launch with a competitive multiplayer experience right out of the box, NO wasting $$$ on Warzone content garbage, and using very few resources to make a serviceable campaign. The competitive multiplayer experience needs to be #1. And for the love of God, comp on PC. It's time to let Halo fly and the under powered XBOX hardware and crappy install base is just holding Halo back.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 28

While we certainly have no idea how truly effective global settings are (too many factors), we do know that Team Arena is the second or third most popular ranked playlist in the game. Compared to MLG, which had such a minuscule piece of the H3 population, this is a major positive.

Purely from the perspective of maintaining a healthy population for the "tournament" playlist, universal settings is doing its job.

This might be a fair comparison if H3 MLG hadn't been under the "Community" subsection of playlists and was marketed as "the best settings halo 3 has to offer" and generally marketed as much as the current Team Arena playlist

Okay but an Xbox Championship with Gears, Halo, and one other Microsoft Studios game would be so damn hype...

KI is very competitive and fun to watch. Forza I'm a little doubtful on but I know Grim loves Forza/KI. 

For the longest time, the first playlist that popped up when you loaded up H5's multiplayer was Arena. The only reason the population is as high as it is was because of that, I'd say.

I think the Halo experiment just needs to end. It was an OK run but even a new developer (ie anyone but 343) can't bring this series back. Honestly there is just too much going against the Halo series right now. PC dominates the overall gaming market. There are like 3 times as many PS4's than XBONE's in the market. A huge chunk of Halo's fan base switched to COD during Reach/H4 and never came back. The next Halo may be the last and whoever develops it needs to put all they have into saving it. Needs to launch with a competitive multiplayer experience right out of the box, NO wasting $$$ on Warzone content garbage, and using very few resources to make a serviceable campaign. The competitive multiplayer experience needs to be #1. And for the love of God, comp on PC. It's time to let Halo fly and the under powered XBOX hardware and crappy install base is just holding Halo back.

PC market is not even close to dominating the gaming market. Here, just look at the Battlefield 1 player count across three platforms: http://bf1stats.com

And the PS4 sold two times as many consoles than the Xbox One, not three. A quick Google search and you'd know that. A lot of PS4 sales come from the European and Japanese markets, which the Xbox always struggled with. If you're going to throw around stats, at least try to back it up. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

The thing is, some people may argue (Jamaican did before I finished this post) that CS does not have the same casual settings as the competitive. Because if you look at official matchmaking, there is a section named casual that is completely different from competitive. 

But everyone that plays CS plays the competitive settings because thats how the game is intended to play and "everyone" thinks it's the most fun. Even the most casual players play that, because it's fun. People are drawn to that game because of the competitiveness that is fun. Not because of something else. So therefor you could say that the casual are the same as the competitive even though there are other casual settings in the game. And different types of game modes all together.

EDIT: Like careh said above. It's the core experience.

CS has a huge surf/kz/zombies casual community 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Okay but an Xbox Championship with Gears, Halo, and one other Microsoft Studios game would be so damn hype...

they could even do that west coast if it was held on MS campus

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair, BTB is a fucking mess. I used to play tons of it in H3, but H5 BTB is horrible

I feel like vehicles were balanced with warzone and reqs in mind so they just become bullet sponges in BTB when you can't spawn in a super rocket whenever you want. Also no dev maps is dumb.

BTB was so much fun back in the H3 days. But I tried to play it in H5 and it wasn't so great to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has there been any testing for Haven as a competitive map?

Crazy to me that the best looking map (wow a map that isn't an asymmetrical human structure?!?) hasn't been picked up.

I could see it working for Slayer or Strongholds but haven't seen it in Proving Grounds. Does it play poorly or something? What am I missing here?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Crazy to me that the best looking map (wow a map that isn't an asymmetrical human structure?!?) hasn't been picked up.

I could see it working for Slayer or Strongholds but haven't seen it in Proving Grounds. Does it play poorly or something? What am I missing here?

I don't think it plays well at all for Slayer or strongholds, but the PG radar does improve things a bit. There's just soo much dead space.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

yuk. All you have to do on Haven SH's is hold the bottom two and they are literally right next to each other. Also, once again, way too many weapons on that map. Could probably work with no rifles, no sniper, no hammer, no Brute Rifle, No splinters, No sprint, No thrust, no ground pound, No autos, No clamber, and making the map 35% smaller in scale. With all those changes Haven could probably be competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't think it plays well at all for Slayer or strongholds, but the PG radar does improve things a bit. There's just soo much dead space.

Ah okay, like I said, I don't go outside of PG or Arena, so I haven't played it competitively. What a shame.

It's more than likely not. I think they are taking his "F/A NA" tweet too real.

Probably true, also not sure if its like wikipedia where anyone can make changes.

Spawns are poor, and it doesn't have any real map flow

I don't care nearly as much about the population of the playlist as I do the impressiveness of the gameplay and the viewer counts of events.  We were selling out 200+ team events in minutes and getting similar viewership online as we are now back when the MLG playlist had considerably less people than other ranked lists and streaming was not nearly as accessible.

I would argue that from the perspective of maintaining a healthy population for the game as a whole, universal settings suck (for Halo).

Hit the nail on the head my man. I don't remember viewer count being a big deal when MLG VoD was a thing. I was also young and probably didn't care much for the health of the scene, also due in part because the scene was healthy as hell. It is insane to think we've regressed so much as things outside of the game have progressed (streaming became more prevalanet as well as YouTube and yet the Halo scene is tiny and struggling beyond belief). At some point, someone has to look at that and think to themselves that maybe there's something innately wrong with the game/settings/developer, no?

The narrative that this universal settings experiment has been successful requires some tenuous goals.

Team Arena isn't a competitive playlist. Its nothing more than Team Objective with some slayer maps thrown in.

343 didnt succeed in getting casual players interested in tournament class halo. They forced tournament class players to play in a casual playlist.

To use this as some sort of measurement of growth is to subscribe to 343s rampant confirmation bias.

343s universal settings experiment has accomplished nothing. Team Objective has always been one of the most populated ranked playlists. The popularity of team arena is a continuation of that... slapping HCS on it is arbitrary and has done nothing to grow halo as a spectator sport.

Team Arena is just the next iteration of a competitive playlist in a game that absolutel fucking sucks. The Arena playlist for Black Ops 3 was garbanzo. They've been half-assed attempts at competitive playlists, although Halo 5's is due in part because the underlying game is beans and the ranking system is shit, which is also in part because the player base is minuscule. 

For real, the PS controllers always had zero flow, but now Scuf made one that actually looks usable

I have had an issue with the PS controller since I made the switch to Xbox in 2001, but I've not bought or really played PS since. I think the redesign for Scuf is awesome and actually should make the switch between consoles if say you're switching from Xbox Call of Duty to PS4 for competitive purposes. The 360 controller was fantastic and the Scuf versions were even better. Just my opinion of course. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

So on the halo esports wiki page it says respectful has left FabE

http://halo.esportswikis.com

I hope this isnt real

I matched him a few times running games as a to3 or 4.

I think it was him, qristola and phlux. Mose was put into my team. Could be true.