CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

H2 and H3 were so good because MLG made sure they were played on the most competitive settings. 343 are set on making the default game good for both casuals and competitive players which doesn't work. All this hype for the H3 tourney got me back on MCC and god is it fun.

Edit: And aiming in H2 is so good 343 please

You sure it's fun? you just went 3 and 11 with snipedown on your team  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 9

Out of curiosity (as someone who dipped out of the comp scene mid-H3), how much did NBNS affect the viewership and involvement of Reach?

As for the Scorpio reveal, I suppose that an H6 reveal is in the cards, but I think that H5 will be getting a pretty big content release later this year, and they might try and time that with a Scorpio release. Between that, some settings changes, and the possible HCS TV series, they might have a chance to jump start player base and viewership a bit. Here's hoping at least.

As for the changes, a unified pro front would be the best thing. I like the idea of teams putting forward a rep to communicate settings desires. I'm fairly convinced that casual viewers aren't too troubled by radar or autos simply because they don't all know Halo's meta well enough to know that it can be better than it is now, but the average viewer ABSOLUTELY will take note of pro players not enjoying the game, and to a lesser extent, the discontent of the competitive community. No one wants to watch a game that the pros who play it don't even enjoy. That by itself may convince 343 that the HCS is better off with settings closer to what pros want, but who knows at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I got on H3 the other day for the first time in forever had a couple of awful games and the crazy part was that it was FUN. That's kinda what happens when the game isn't exactly what you never wanted I guess

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 are set on making the default game good for both casuals and competitive players which doesn't work.

To be fair this is an idea they got from the competitive community as a way of increasing the popularity of Halo esports.

Relative to the population of the game, esports in H2 and H3 were never THAT popular, there was a massive gulf between casual and competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair this is an idea they got from the competitive community as a way of increasing the popularity of Halo esports.

Relative to the population of the game, esports in H2 and H3 were never THAT popular, there was a massive gulf between casual and competitive.

I think this is an idea that they got from other competive communities.

Dumbing down competitive settings doesnt make casuals more interested in esports. It just ruins the experience for rising m existing esports fans and competitors.

Forcing casuals to play on settings tailored for experts doesnt make them more interested in esports- it creates resentment.

The best way you to halo esports would have be to launch the game in a with playlists that please players across a wide spectrum. Then provide in game incentives for casuals to invest inn the esport.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I was talking about the H2 I was playing before that but even though I don't like or play H3 that much and I was getting shit on those H3 customs were some of the most fun I've had in a while playing Halo.

And I still stand by the fact that the H3 sniper is easy af I wasn't struggling at all to hit shots whenever I did get it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And I still stand by the fact that the H3 sniper is easy af I wasn't struggling at all to hit shots whenever I did get it.

ive never been a good sniper in h1 or h2 but when h3 came out and the br had spread with projectile shots that hardly registered - i became a beast. ill always stand by the fact its the easiest game to contest shots. reach, h2a and h5 had way more auto aim but on LAN you get zoomed out a lot quicker

(h4 didnt exist)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd personally like to see most reversals.

Sadly Tashi only captured kills, deaths, assists, damage, shots landed, shots fired and 2 flag and stronghold medals. 

how many teams were there for g4g Halo?

17 teams. Only one pro/semi pro team with Contra, Cloud and Randa on it. They also won the whole thing without dropping a single game.

Dumbing down competitive settings doesnt make casuals more interested in esports. It just ruins the experience for rising m existing esports fans and competitors.

Forcing casuals to play on settings tailored for experts doesnt make them more interested in esports- it creates resentment.

The best way you to halo esports would have be to launch the game in a with playlists that please players across a wide spectrum. Then provide in game incentives for casuals to invest inn the esport.

I completely agree. I don't know that dumbing down is the right terminology there, as other games are just inherently more competitive than Halo (or Call of Duty for that matter) are. The Halo games required customization to make them a competitive game, and there's nothing wrong with that, except that 343 refuses to really do it. I also don't think there's a big problem with separating the casual and competitive player bases. Of course you'd love for your entire audience/player base to be invested in the professional scene, but not everyone is going to be. Not every person who plays football, or soccer, or hockey, or slowpitch softball is invested in the NFL, MLS/Premiere League/FIFA, NHL, or MLB. It's just how it is. Some people are going to play because they have fun, and others are going to play because they're competitors and like to compete and that's how they have fun. I don't necessarily see a big problem with this. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i hated that they had to auto tune emma watson. super disappointing when all other singers were great. cgi was meh too. for being one of my favorite disney movies i expected more. 7/10

They auto tuned Emma Watson? The attractive lvl just dropped down a bit :(

I like situational weapons, and it's the least op auto right now on maps. I'd rather ars than shotty and scattershot

Suppressor?

Watched a bit of Aces stream, found the no AR starts and the massive drop off in auto battles to vastly improve the gameplay from a viewer perspective.

It's crazy, right? 

The idea that watching pros play skillfully and mindfully is more fun than watching them crouch with autos is somehow still alien speak to 343. I can only hope they're playing this due to optimism that 343 is considering changing things up.

Even on the matchmaking side, just take it back to the old days.... there's a playlist for the casuals, and then there's a "hardcore" playlist. I don't even think it would create a problematic population split. More "old school" Halo fans, players, ex-pros, etc will come back because the competitive side plays as it should again, and more casuals will play because they can muck up the radar/auto playlists as much as they want, and a lot of the people who would traditionally stomp them would be playing the hardcore arena playlist.

Fair assessment but that it's been a weak field so far. 

It has been a weak movie field, but Get Out deserves all the praise. It's kind of incredible that Jordan Peele started with sketch comedy and now is the first black director to have a $100M+ debut.......... with a fucking satirical horror film with racial undertones. Kind of nuts, and the movie was fantastic.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Suppressor?

Its the spin up time and tracking that gets me. It feels wrong. Id rather have that weapon do decent damage with no spin up time or tracking but the same projectile type/speed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They auto tuned Emma Watson? The attractive lvl just dropped down a bit :(

everyone sings so well then she comes on and her voice sounds like they turned down her channel and it levels off on high notes. pretty obvious and not a great choice for a musical :/

Didnt Ninja and Monstcr play Halo 3 MM a bit together years back? I swear i saw him in a few streams.

I havent seen Monstcr play H5, but i do agree they need someone who can consistently win head on engagements.

Honestly Ninja might like Monstcr simply because he's one of the few people I can think of who can rival Ninja on aggressiveness lol

I completely agree. I don't know that dumbing down is the right terminology there, as other games are just inherently more competitive than Halo (or Call of Duty for that matter) are. The Halo games required customization to make them a competitive game, and there's nothing wrong with that, except that 343 refuses to really do it. I also don't think there's a big problem with separating the casual and competitive player bases. Of course you'd love for your entire audience/player base to be invested in the professional scene, but not everyone is going to be. Not every person who plays football, or soccer, or hockey, or slowpitch softball is invested in the NFL, MLS/Premiere League/FIFA, NHL, or MLB. It's just how it is. Some people are going to play because they have fun, and others are going to play because they're competitors and like to compete and that's how they have fun. I don't necessarily see a big problem with this.

Great analogies. Id also looks to add that people can be heavily invested in watching a professional sport, yet heavily invested in playing a version of that with a lesser skill gap. People don't have to be playing the exact same game they are watching.

In the case of halo i consider it dumbed down because the community already settled on competiive settings for over a decade.

Sure these settings weren't 'default halo ' but they were 'default competitive halo '

If anything 343 should have been easing casuals into competive halo, by having truly competitive settings for team arena, and giving that playlist the highest rp and xp payouts.

Probably one of the dopest things Halo 4 did with red X's being absent for a while.

Yeah, I liked that as well. Gives you a little more information without telling you exactly where the enemy is. For example if you are playing no radar solo (with no mics) and you hear someone behind you and you aren't 100 % sure where your teammates are you have to turn around, only to find it actually is your teammate. With friendlies only radar you don't have to and you actually can with your headphones (if you are aware enough) ninja people.

I remember doing it to Warlord one time in H4 :P

Also it helps the average halo player to learn to be better positioned on the map to your teammates.

If people that thinks Halo 5 No radar is to chaotic this is the way to go imo @@SnakeBite @@GH057ayame

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly Ninja might like Monstcr simply because he's one of the few people I can think of who can rival Ninja on aggressiveness lol

monstcr played a lot with ninja and chig back in early h5.. so im sure they have some sort of history/relationship

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dumbing down the settings is not the way to do it, but making slight alterations is the way to do it, look at black ops 2, that was very similar to casual call of duty except some perks were changed, meanwhile in halo 2 and 3, settings and maps were completely different thus making it harder for the casual player to transfer.

343 intentions and plan was theoretically sound, sadly we have no way of determining the effectiveness of this strategy as we have no way of tracking the population. 

The fault is not they tried to bridge the gap, it is that the base settings were just shit. i.e auto's overpowered, shit aiming, poorly laid out maps, poor weapon spawn timers etc.