CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Ill contribute, is off season right ?

There is a certain problem with 343 design/art style. Best way how can I describe it is, that when I look at the 343 map, lets say Monolith, its like I am holding a low quality mass produced toy made of cheap materials, while looking at Bungie map, lets say Narrows, its hi quality handcrafted model that pleases any eye.

There is a lot of candy in 343 design but that is not what you need in MP game and it shouldn't distract you from playing the game (truth anyone ?). Good looking design can by very clean and simple. Setting, collors tone and overal feel can make much more impact than any flares, reflections and details that you will never see / want to see when playing/ watching mp game.

343 design lack stronger and more focused vision. It lack sense of actual place. It lacks identity. It doesn't have something that almost every Bungie map had. Those maps look like they have been made in forge, reusing the same unified, boring, sterile assets over and over again, just changing the collors and skybox.

I also feel this is also because of the engine it self and the shitty lighting (and other things) it uses.

Mercy looks better, that was definitely a step up.

Edit.: This visuals style and overdone layout design is also one of the things why can't play the game for too long an why I many times decide to play something else, something easier on eyes. Simplicity, clear lines, strong theme, that is the key.

I feel like the issue with the art style if the same as what's wrong with everything else.

They changed everything without reason to change anything

Whoa there buddy slow down there,

If history has thought us anything it is 343 cannot multi-task.

Lets focus on one fundamental feature of halo at a time.

Yea I got greedy idk what got into me.

Fix the aiming.

Viewers and the viewer experience are really secondary concerns. What's much more important is finding out which game people would actually show up for. A CE tournament for instance would be well received from a theoretical pov but I doubt you'd get as good a turnout.

It's a shame we have to sacrifice competitive merit/depth/skill gap etc for viewership if this was the case. Beach LAN 5 got a decent number of viewers in my opinion, but a lot of them were very confused lol so I understand the concern. I think part of it had to do with the stream layout and the other part just inexperience in playing competitive 2's.

Regarding the last part, I've always found it interesting that despite Halo 2 and Halo 3's massive success and sales compared to Halo CE, where are the LAN groups? Where are the tournaments? Beach LAN's before 5 really didn't have any prize money and were pulling roughly 40-50 people easily. You'd think these other games would retain some sort of community especially when you see the massive amount of praise H3 gets from current competitive pros and casuals alike.

We're still like 4 months out from BL6, with no tournament/prizes announced and have 51 people signed up. If we secure prize money and announce it early you could easily see 100 people. Last year it was announced super late and many people who wanted to go (for the prize money, as if  they'd even come close to winning) were not able to swing it.

• Upvote (+1) 9

By the gods, Lethul is actually gonna win the ESPN bracket. I don't, I can't..., the cummies win again.

image.jpg

Some one photoshop  :lxthul:  over her face and its perfect

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 needs to happen because he's garbage now. Get a grip on reality and accept the facts. EG is done until they replace that garbage ass roster. The AR will never be removed. Why do you even bother posting shit like this? Waste of time

Accidental plus rep.

I think thats a first.

Roybox are running out of potential teammates who they haven't already dropped in the last year.

Over a year now and they still aren't over the heart-wrenching breakup. They are trying to fill that void that @@LethuL left  :tear:.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm going to follow up your harshness with one of my own, I think the EG should either drop the current roster or forcibly separate Roybox. If the org's chances of any more success in Halo 5 is slim because good players don't want to play with RoyBox, that is a problem and it's about time management steps in.

Neither one of them has played much Halo 5, if any, since the LCQ. I have only seen lunchbox play some MCC.  I think they are giving a good look at retirement.  RoyBox and Contra as a To3 were actually playing really well during the LCQ (sorry 2gre), but they had also been playing a ton for the month prior and probably hardly seeing their families at all.  Between the electrician jobs and Halo they were probably putting in 16 - 18 hour days almost every day.  That's not a sustainable schedule.

From a management PoV, I don't see the upside to getting a totally new roster.  Keep RoyBox and have a guaranteed league spot. Shed them, get a brand new team and no guaranteed spot when the front-runners are already represented by an org. What team could possible be created out of the available players that could compete with any of the top 3 right now?  Right now any org in halo is treating it as a speculative venture.  They are certainly losing money and just trying to stay relevant in the scene until 343 gets their shit together and lets the pro's craft a competitive product that is worthy of growth.

Do you really think Tripppey is better than Cratos? I dislike Cratos as much as the guy next to me, but he does have a proven track record. We've seen Tripppey have some great games on LAN, and we've seen him play terrible Halo as well.

At HWC 16, Suspector was playing like a Top 5 overall player. Outside of R2, Frosty, Huke, and Penguin, he was the scariest power weapon user at the tourney. At that time, El Town and Naded were in front of nearly everyone on the nerdiness aspect of this game, and they reaped huge rewards from that. Now, the field caught up. I don't think either of them are playing as well as they did at Worlds 16.

My opinion is this squad can and will win games by playing better strategic Halo than their opponents, but I also see them getting heavily outslayed a lot.

I do. TriPPPey is more of a slayer than Cratos in my opinion and was able to get himself on a Worlds squad for that reason. I think TriPPPey will be a better fit for the new Allegiance (pretty sure Connor going to sign them) than Cratos IMO. 

Also I don't hate Cratos. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

r/place ended, final result for Halo https://i.imgur.com/2rOFHeb.png

Wished they left it at the size I had it last night. Oh well. The salt from it even being there makes up for it.

Also their cortana looks like a......

• Upvote (+1) 4

r/place ended, final result for Halo https://i.imgur.com/2rOFHeb.png

Wished they left it at the size I had it last night. Oh well. The salt from it even being there makes up for it.

Can someone explain r/place to me? I have no idea what's going on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can someone explain r/place to me? I have no idea what's going on.

Just pointless fun.

Basically you could place a pixel every 5 minutes and could create something. Or a community could come together and create something more (or grief others) etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"This is gorgeos, but it's an absolutely awful space to fight bad guys in."

"This space needs to be fun, before it's pretty."

"It's pretty obvious to us, when we start working on these maps, they have to be fun for the hundredth and the two hundredth and the thousandth time."

- Bungie

Bungie made Boardwalk and Swordbase your argument is invalid
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Here at 343 we've been starting conversations, but never finishing them. 

I do. TriPPPey is more of a slayer than Cratos in my opinion and was able to get himself on a Worlds squad for that reason.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the team of Spartan, Commonly, Tripppey, and Suspector did not make Worlds.

r/place ended, final result for Halo https://i.imgur.com/2rOFHeb.png

I can't lie, I started to tile in a penis over this image, one tile every 5 minutes.

I gave up after two tiles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The latest Towey "Up To Speed" video made it pretty clear that Roybox would strongly consider retirement if they didn't make worlds (interviews were pre-LCQ) ... their body language and general vibe seemed very unenthusiastic about continuing with H5 even before the LCQ, so I can only imagine that they're less thrilled about it now. OG2 has stated he isn't competing anymore and I highly doubt that ContrA stays with Roybox.  EG's best bet might be picking up the new 2016 ALG squad (Naded's team) or something like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea I got greedy idk what got into me.

Fix the aiming.

343 response: you have to choose one for aim being changed.

1) add scope to pistol.

2) add scope to AR.

3) make an AR that locks on like the Hydra.

We at 343 really think this would help with any aim issues.

Sorry quote broke on mobile ^ You think? I think viewer experience is up there with player experience right at the top, as for what people people show up for, I do think something like a one of wild throwback event would be cool as shit and blow up (always wanted to run a throwback event) but sticking to the current iteration/title is super important for the franchise and playerbase. Saying that - EU rolled back to Halo 3 towards the end of Halo 4 because the community wanted it at live events. We ran about 2/3 H3 tourneys while we waited on MCC, was good to give EU what it wanted and keep the players goong bit there was also a period of discconect from NA while we did due to running seperate games.

From the community perspective I see no reason why we should not be at least trying to run the game that we feel we get the most enjoyment out of. That doesn't necessarily mean the game which is theoretically the most skillful or which is the most marketable or whatever, literally what the majority of people who will actually show up to events want to play - by the community for the community. It could be CE, as @@Teapot said they do well for themselves even after all these years but I personally get the feeling people would be more willing to get teams together for H2 or H3 (especially in the UK).

The disconnect from NA and EU was, and still is, that NA gets the lions share so the EU is more likely to say "fuck it, lets just play what we want to play." Again this time round it seems there would be less disconnect in that comparatively there is much more disillusionment in the top end of the NA scene, and more importantly there appears to be stability in the efforts of 343/MS towards H5 tournaments / Pro League at least for the near future.

It feels counterintuitive in that with you work at ESL your livelihood comes from making great spectacles from competitive gaming but chasing the 'esports dream' of being watched by thousands of people and whatnot can still exist side-by-side with a community controlled scene without detracting. From my perspective the main thing we should strive for is:

• Something we enjoy
  • Something community controlled
  • Something that is sustainable

Sustainability is the key reason the viewer experience should take a back seat until everything else is concrete. It costs ridiculously more money to create anything even remotely presentable on the chance that a fickle audience could happen upon it and for something as risky as throwback event. It's a potential money black hole and puts much more of a financial gamble on each event. Not only that, but in order to satisfy the active playing community, you literally just have to get them in a dark room with serviceable internet for a weekend.

You have people from ELeague, an emmy nominated TO being criticized by the Street Fighter community for being too clinical. They know what they like, they own it, it doesn't always look pretty but they live that shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the team of Spartan, Commonly, Tripppey, and Suspector did not make Worlds.

Ah my apologies I confused TriPPPey with Saiyan. 

• Upvote (+1) 1