CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I've seen a lot of praise for their commentary and I can't help but think that it stems from the fact that they're both good people and very passionate about Halo.

The casting really was as bad as you say; it makes me grateful that we have so many retired pros still willing to cast for Halo (and Simms of course  :simms: ).

• Upvote (+1) 2

The csgo major has been a bit of a shitshow. First day had stream downtime and matches played off stream and players being forced to play on bad PCs with <100 fps.

The production has definitely had some issues, but the gameplay has been absolutely insane. I am loving this tournament.

I have a request: when "The forums" get mentioned, can you sneak in "The forums of course being the Team Beyond forums"?

I feel like this has to be mentioned on air. I won't know because I'm 100000% not watching Halo, but the the only forum dedicated to the competitive scene shouldn't just get tossed out as "the forums." Call TB out by name, the crew that frequents this forum deserves the recognition for support this absolute travesty of a competitive scene and what it's been through in the last 8 or so years. 

I just skipped to a random bit of gameplay from that 6 hour Atria tournament and I have to say the casting was pretty bad.

Then I muted the video and tried to cast in my head, it's really fkn hard man.

We give Strongside shit but just try it do for yourself and you'll realise quickly just how talented good casters are. Obviously if you haven't got it, and maybe Strongside and a few others should be left to just do player interviews. Still, props to anyone who gives it a go.

Casting is so ridiculously difficult. It's even more difficult if you, instead of trying to do it in your head, actually verbalize the words. It's so easy to mess up and essentially have nothing important (or accurate) to say. 

The production has definitely had some issues, but the gameplay has been absolutely insane. I am loving this tournament.

I feel like this has to be mentioned on air. I won't know because I'm 100000% not watching Halo, but the the only forum dedicated to the competitive scene shouldn't just get tossed out as "the forums." Call TB out by name, the crew that frequents this forum deserves the recognition for support this absolute travesty of a competitive scene and what it's been through in the last 8 or so years. 

Gambit and BIG first to quarterfinals! Who would have thought. #GOD B (also #GODZERA even though they lost)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Casting is so ridiculously difficult. It's even more difficult if you, instead of trying to do it in your head, actually verbalize the words. It's so easy to mess up and essentially have nothing important (or accurate) to say. 

I think instead of just telling us literally exactly what we're seeing more casters should talk about the players playing style they're POV is on or any story lines related to them, rather then relentlessly talking about the gameplay. It honestly becomes exhausting as a spectator. 

I'd much rather just be able to hear team comms over any casting due. It's far more intense and exciting, you can also follow what's going on at other areas of the map due to call outs and get a greater idea of how the game's being played out as a whole.

I think it helps fans get to 'feel' closer to the players, listening to them get hyper or shit talk and develops more storylines. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who enjoys watching scrims more than they did pro league.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Destiny 1 was incredibly successful and felt damn good to shoot in.  All they needed to for Destiny 2 was implement some quality of life stuff and make the story not suck total ass day 1. 

They also need to make sure you don't have to pay $150+ to play a complete game. Most people agree the game wasn't actually good (worth the grind) until TTK released, which iirc was a whole year after the game came out. 

I personally could care less about stories in FPS games because at this point they're usually garbage (not always) because multiplayer is the focus. The problem for me with the D1 story was unskippable cutscenes which made you watch how shitty the story was.

You're right the gunplay was amazing, but imo literally everything else about the game was REALLY bad for WAY too long.

I think instead of just telling us literally exactly what we're seeing more casters should talk about the players playing style they're POV is on or any story lines related to them, rather then relentlessly talking about the gameplay. It honestly becomes exhausting as a spectator. 

I'd much rather just be able to hear team comms over any casting due. It's far more intense and exciting, you can also follow what's going on at other areas of the map due to call outs and get a greater idea of how the game's being played out as a whole.

I think it helps fans get to 'feel' closer to the players, listening to them get hyper or shit talk and develops more storylines. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who enjoys watching scrims more than they did pro league.

We can see what's happening on the screen, Play-by-Play casting shouldn't be synonymous with narrating.  The play-by-play's job, apart from hyping up big moments, should be to set the color commentator up to explain what the player needs to do or should be doing, or how the team should be setting up, or what to expect on a broader scale as a result of the play happening.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Casters should really take the time to practice casting a match off stream where they are not allowed to *ever* say exactly what's happening on screen. 

Also yeah, that one (maybe more?) tournament that had separate streams for players' comms for every match was GOAT and I wish every tournament had it. Each stream only got like 30 viewers though so I'm not surprised that it's not a priority.

good content

This is literally the first time I've ever heard of a female Halo tournament, much less an entire female pro league.

Anyone else notice that lately there's always only one teams POV streaming during scrims? I used to like switching between the two teams but nobody streams scrims anymore besides optic lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I put over 1000 hours into Destiny 1, and I am more than ready to put 1000 more in Destiny 2. 

I probably put 30 hours max into Halo 5. 

Destiny is a social game, and it isn't trying to be competitive. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

We can see what's happening on the screen, Play-by-Play casting shouldn't be synonymous with narrating. The play-by-play's job, apart from hyping up big moments, should be to set the color commentator up to explain what the player needs to do or should be doing, or how the team should be setting up, or what to expect on a broader scale as a result of the play happening.

There is a degree of play-by-play that is nice because not everyone wants to stare at the screen for hours at a time, and instead just listen in for minutes at a time to look at something else. Obviously not much is needed, but there should be some sense of overall play-by-play to articulate the current state of the game / the score every minute or when a good situation arises. I also have always been a big sports fan and enjoy the traditional play-by-play, plus it makes for better replays with a hyped caster tuned into the play-by-play instead of off on a tangent.

I think having females play games and compete in leagues is a great thing, but I think it's a stupid thing that they segregate themselves from the actual pro league.

i agree but they might not have the time to compete in both leagues

ideally i'd like to see them play in both

i agree but they might not have the time to compete in both leagues

ideally i'd like to see them play in both

Ideally, FPL shouldn't exist. All Halo players should compete in a unified league.

In my opinion, the moment you break off and create your own female-only league, you're instilling a belief in others that females aren't good enough to compete in a league made up of mainly males.

If you're a good player, you're a good player.  Doesn't matter if you're a guy or gal, gay or straight, etc so don't bring that into the gaming scene.  We're gamers, bottom line.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Updates coming shortly, just got off a call but things looking positive right now.

Thank you for being open and competent with the community.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Ideally, FPL shouldn't exist. All Halo players should compete in a unified league.

In my opinion, the moment you break off and create your own female-only league, you're instilling a belief in others that females aren't good enough to compete in a league made up of mainly males.

If you're a good player, you're a good player.  Doesn't matter if you're a guy or gal, gay or straight, etc so don't bring that into the gaming scene.  We're gamers, bottom line.

it's a developmental league by nature

• Upvote (+1) 1