CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

After next week, h5 will be top10 all time in terms on total prize pools.

Well, at least Halo 5 will be top 10 in something now

• Upvote (+1) 6

Why should my tax dollars be going to these artificially inflated AMATEUR prize-pools? No one needs to attend a Halo tournament to survive.

You're just a relentless onslaught of satiricism aren't you?

You know what i've been thinking about seeing people say that matchmaking makes pretty even teams most of the time, which is actually kind of true.  If im lets say a diamond 4, i should be playing with diamond 4s and if im shitting on kids i should rank up over time until i even out.  Not toss a diamond 4 who shits on kids with 2 plats and a gold 6 and on the other team its 4 diamond 2s or something.  Like ive had games where i got 28-13 with most flag pulls and returns and lose the game and the game is close, which is fine on the team balancing side of things, its just not fine on the ranking up and down side of things, because when you rank up then a lower rank just ends up in your game to make even teams.

What im saying is there is something wrong with this season.  For whatever reason its just making even teams of whatever rank so you win or lose roughly 50% of your games regardless of how good you are lol.  If you're really good you just play with worse people against another really good player with some bad kids in a duel of who's baddies do the least dumb shit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Let's put it in laymens terms... if the nfl added 8 expansion teams to the league, would it have a notable impact on the patriots odds of making it to the Superbowl this year? No, because talent would be skewed heavily towards existing franchises. The new teams woild most likely be trash.

You dont calculate odds based on the number of teams. It isnt a lottery, it's a skill competition. You base Odds on the concentration of talent. If 256 teams showed up to dreamhack, most of them would be trash. The later the round, the more familiar the faces would be.

Except that the problem is that the number of teams in Halo 5 DIRECTLY relates to the miniscule overall pool of competition for the game. It's not even remotely comparable to a real sport or an esport people actually care about. Shitloads of people compete in football. The NFL is an exclusive sub set of that group. Very few people compete in Halo 5, therefore Halo 5's top teams are a less significant concentration of "talent." Just adding more teams and payouts for more teams won't make it more competitive, you're right. Having more people actually trying to be top players WILL. Unfortunately, that would probably require a game that people actually want to play.

You know what i've been thinking about seeing people say that matchmaking makes pretty even teams most of the time, which is actually kind of true.  If im lets say a diamond 4, i should be playing with diamond 4s and if im shitting on kids i should rank up over time until i even out.  Not toss a diamond 4 who shits on kids with 2 plats and a gold 6 and on the other team its 4 diamond 2s or something.  Like ive had games where i got 28-13 with most flag pulls and returns and lose the game and the game is close, which is fine on the team balancing side of things, its just not fine on the ranking up and down side of things, because when you rank up then a lower rank just ends up in your game to make even teams.

What im saying is there is something wrong with this season.  For whatever reason its just making even teams of whatever rank so you win or lose roughly 50% of your games regardless of how good you are lol.  If you're really good you just play with worse people against another really good player with some bad kids in a duel of who's baddies do the least dumb shit.

That's because it doesn't match based on your displayed rank and the games population is absolutely garbage in the HCS playlist. So it just tries to find some awkward combination that's mathematically close to being equal regardless of how toxic that is for the one good player on the team sometimes.

"He's going to try to possibly get some shots on those players as they push into Blue and he does just that and that's exactly what happened there."

This is just a sample of the amazing commentary for this $4K tournament.

I wish I could mute them and just listen to the game sounds. It would honestly be more enjoyable of a viewing experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Gooder vs NV rite now in that Atria thing. 

Gooder is a team of young gods, Renegade, Tapping, Saiyan, Tripy

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember the days when AMs had to use there own money for hotels, travel, food and entry fees to attend Halo tourneys.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

First: I have zero problem with taking money from 2-8 and giving it to 9-16 to incentivize them.  But first place should be better than it is.

Second: Halo's not the only esport that exists, so this 35% precedent from legacy tournaments doesn't matter to me, it's not my basis of comparison.

League of Legends 16 team tournament: First place gets 40% (and in some past tournaments has gotten as high as 48.8%)

DotA 2 16 team tournaments, anywhere from 36 to 46% in the last 3 years.

CoD current 16 team tournament TECHNICALLY only gives a 30% share to first place, but the way it is set up, each team that participates in the group gets 12,500 (200k split among top 16) and then there's $500,000 additional in prizing for top 8, of which first place gets a 40% share.  This is pretty comparable to Halo, although the open bracket teams who reach top 16 in Halo are getting paid without having played a month of group stages.  In their most recent open LAN, top 8 were paid and first place got a 40% share.

Third: If you want to really incentivize amateur participation and grow the scene, bring back a decent fucking points system so players have a way to keep track of their individual worth long-term through consistent participation and placings.

Nice post.

Not even the same thing in any way lol. Population in an ONLINE video game has a LOT to do with making the game more competitively viable. You have more people playing the game in different ways, and are more likely to find SOMEONE that is going to be really good. You also get better quality practice. This is nothing like the NFL just expanding teams because the NFL ALREADY has the best players in the world.

Here's a better example. Only 1000 people play football globally. Over 1,000,000 play basketball. Which sport do you think has better competition?

Would a more popular scene lead to a higher concentration of talent at the top? Sure, but that's not what was said.

The comment was that players have better chances of being in the top 8 because of the number of teams. In a tournament of skill, talent determines the odds.

To your point. If i cut every team out of the nfl except the top 15 and the 32nd team, the 32nd team wouldn't have better odds of winning the Superbowl, because odds are, their talent wouldn't get them to the playoffs.

Just look at any sports books.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Where the fuck is Kory

look man ive barely been able to sleep this past week. im just surprised i actually got time to slap this together

why is this tournament so cringy '?

There's a tournament?

┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴

• Upvote (+1) 2

If i cut every team out of the nfl except the top 15 and the 32nd team, the 32nd team wouldn't have better odds of winning the Superbowl, because odds are, their talent wouldn't get them to the playoffs.

Well that's not true.

Assuming they keep the same playoff structure of 12 teams it's a hell of a lot easier make top 12 out of 16 then top 12 out of 32.

If they sneak in to the playoffs it's all single elimination games. Anything can happen.

Esports aren't like real sports. Real sports have drafts and parity. In esports people just choose their teams so the concentration of elite talent is insanely focused. Well, I suppose basketball fits your analogy lol. Basketball functions more like an esport.

since disney is now an indirect sponsor of team liquid, i decided to update their team picture

H7fk9ld.png

Took me a moment to recognize that Stellur was even photoshopped on there tbh. Looks so natural

• Upvote (+1) 2