CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is what I assumed we've been arguing about this whole time. 

So what exactly do you think my argument is? I want the entire prize pool for pros cause I'm greedy? 

I wish everyone was this pissed about radar 2 years ago

SAAAAAAME!

• Upvote (+1) 1

You have an infinitely better chance now to become a pro than then. You used to come out of am and immediately play FB or whoever round 1. Also I think the stipend question is irrelevant because that's not taken out of a prize pool + I was a pro player. I do agree that the league shit is dumb and it should never have been a thing. Both viewpoints on this topic are going to be biased in some way so at this point we're just arguing to argue.

If you determine the "chance of becoming pro" by simply counting the number of participants and the number of pro spots then sure the odds are better now.

But if you use a logical means of analyzing odds, you'd see that this isnt true. The only barrier to becoming a pro in previous games was your own performance on LAN. In H5 there are a ton of artificial barriers. Pros were completely segmented from AMs, who were then expected to show up on LAN and beat a pro team at an invitational. Great odds.

Not only that but pro teams have to weight picking up top AM talent against maintaining the clear advantages pro status provides.

The argument that stipends didnt effect prize pool is nonsense. TOs have an event budget- prize pools and stipends impact that budget. If they werent paying stipends, there would be more money for prizes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 week before a tourney?

They did it at Daytona too. Maybe they just assumed people would remember this is now a thing. Lol

I wish everyone was this pissed about radar 2 years ago

We were.

I have sighed aloud reading this thread multiple times this weekend and one time my wife asked me what was wrong. I replied with, "people have really fucked up relationships with money."

9-16 might be getting a little too much but the fact that payouts exist in that range is fine.

Radar? How about this fucked up aiming? @@Elamite give Ghost a call and ask him why he said they would fix the aiming if people complained and yet we still have the exact same aiming. Pls and thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Did you not read my post....jesus. And back in the "day," it was only 35%

I think your page loaded an ad late and quoted the person below me.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else been getting massive amounts of screen lag and dropped frames recently?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you determine the "chance of becoming pro" by simply counting the number of participants and the number of pro spots then sure the odds are better now.

But if you use a logical means of analyzing odds, you'd see that this isnt true. The only barrier to becoming a pro in previous games was your own performance on LAN. In H5 there are a ton of artificial barriers. Pros were completely segmented from AMs, who were then expected to show up on LAN and beat a pro team at an invitational. Great odds.

The argument that stipends didnt effect prize pool is nonsense. TOs have an event budget- prize pools and stipends impact that budget. If they werent paying stipends, there would be more money for prizes.

Obviously if there's 40 teams now vs the 256 before it's easier to be pro but I don't think that's the argument of how much easier it is now to get on a pro team rather than before. Like you said the barrier in previous games was just performing on LAN (I think snipedown and sypher are the only ones that got picked up as an "online kid") you had to pay your way to travel, team with all AMs, compete vs 256 teams, then make it far enough to impress pros. Fast forward to now you have Commonly getting picked up by EG just because he was doing really good online and the structure of halo 5 in the beginning was really online heavy so "online kids" were getting picked up by pro teams left and right. Not to mention in this age we have streaming and other ways of watching people

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm guessing you mean like a pro team coming in and taking a seed correct? Cause at the moment in H5 there are about 17/32 new pros. But I can see your argument about the team thing. As I said in my other post this isn't about me wanting the entire prize pool, not once have I said that which is why I don't get the top 12 comments talking shit to us. It's a great move and blatantly obvious as moses said that it's to help grow the game/scene whatever. I and the other pros came from a different era of "coming up" so we are going to be biased. Pros aren't going to be happy necessarily with the move and AM players will love it. I can see the AM players POV but I also think people need to see the other one as well. I'm not even trying to cause a fight or anything like that so I don't get what you're tryna accomplish @frankthebitch

The reason people cant see the pro's pov is because we know they all were compensated outside of the top 8. it just wasn't cash but the value was similar.

H5 has so many new pro's largely because it's so different from other halo games and many old pros haven't adapted or didn't like the game. It's not because the tournament structure is conducive to upward mobility.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Obviously if there's 40 teams now vs the 256 before it's easier to be pro but I don't think that's the argument of how much easier it is now to get on a pro team rather than before. Like you said the barrier in previous games was just performing on LAN (I think snipedown and sypher are the only ones that got picked up as an "online kid") you had to pay your way to travel, team with all AMs, compete vs 256 teams, then make it far enough to impress pros. Fast forward to now you have Commonly getting picked up by EG just because he was doing really good online and the structure of halo 5 in the beginning was really online heavy so "online kids" were getting picked up by pro teams left and right. Not to mention in this age we have streaming and other ways of watching people

This math was already addressed in a previous post. The number of participants isn't a realistic way of determining odds because of the skill disparity between top and bottom teams. how many of the 256 teams had the skill to even come close to challenging a top 8 squad?

Being discoverable online doesnt change the fact that roster rules and the esl imposed pro-AM split for tournament play and bias towards pro league created artificial barriers that old pros never had to deal with.

Apparently cpt anarchy is going to atl, with Burton lifestyle and Eli elite

And oxygen was just elimanted by scaryotic. They've been shaky the past few weeks

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently cpt anarchy is going to atl, with Burton lifestyle and Eli elite

And oxygen was just elimanted by scaryotic. They've been shaky the past few weeks

Bo3 series mean nothing

With that said, Cratos just beat his ex-team Ronin

EDIT; Cratos lurking

• Upvote (+1) 5