CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

At this point I'm cool with bribing AMs to actually turn up to events.

I mean shit, if they start to pay the Top 64 teams I might attend again to pay for my 10pc nugget meal at McDonalds.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm going to ATL as a spectator with hopes that they throw a few dollars my way just because.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Lol Sankebit is sounding so salty right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/snakebite

I would have never guessed that a higer payout to lower team would get this drama.

Listening to it, sounds like top players had a call wth ESL and talked prizing and agreed on it - then they changed it a week before the event. Not sure if this is new info regarding the call.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Snakebite going in! Good for him. Said that Him, Frosty, and Snipedown agreed to a payout for 9th-16th that was much smaller and then ESL changed it for no reason. Rewarding losers for not being as the biggest losers is wrong and anti-American. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"back in my day we had to climb the hill both ways" 

seems to be the predominant argument from the old boys club.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 6

All I hear in Snakebite's stream is passion and even though I disagree with him, I really appreciate how he's talking about what he sees as an issue.

All I hear in Snakebite's stream is passion and even though I disagree with him, I really appreciate how he's talking about what he sees as an issue.

Man is a legend and puts across issues with reasons, he cares a ton about Halo and the scene around him.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

I would have never guessed that a higer payout to lower team would get this drama.

I would have guessed it seeing as almost anything nowadays does

Lol Sankebit is sounding so salty right now. 

https://www.twitch.tv/snakebite

it's inherently anti-American. They are stealing from the successful to give more to the "losers" 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 11

Here's my last arguement for the top 16 payout: how many am teams skipped daytona so they could go to atlanta? For am teams they have one shot a season to make any real impact on the pro league. If we implement an open lan league with pro points and give rising am teams the chance to break into the top 8 and stay there then yes top 8 payment only. But the set up we have ends up screwing over am teams and locking the top 8 into pro league.

I know cod pays more traditionally but look at the team list and see how many orgs are represented. The hcs structure has tried to kill the scene by not allowing am teams an easier way of breaking into top 8 and leaving those players remain orgless. If oxygen supremacy wasnt top 6 at daytona i doubt they would've stuck around. If we had top 16 with orgs paying for passes and plane tickets this top 16 payout wouldnt be needed, but as it stands we need to encourage participation in any way we can imo

• Upvote (+1) 6

My proposal based on 50 teams signed up (have no idea how many are)

1st - $90,000

2nd-  45,000

3rd - 20,000

4th - 15,000

5th - 5,000

6th - 5,000

7th - 2,500

8th - 2,500

The excess $15,000 goes to cover 2 nights of lodging at the Omni for the 42 non-pro teams. That's it. The AM teams will need to find their own way there out of mom's basement. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Listening to it, sounds like top players had a call wth ESL and talked prizing and agreed on it - then they changed it a week before the event. Not sure if this is new info regarding the call.

Ok now i see why they are upset. The handling of halo by 343 and esl just seems like the competitive scene is an afterthought and no one (at least on the na side) cares enough to do it right. We need someone else to run this before its run into the ground

@@GunRanger It would be quite strange to seed the 4 EU Pro teams as 7-10 wouldn't it? Then that would play the EU teams against each other in Winners round 1.

Anyway... What are your guys predictions for ATL?

Optic

nV

Liquid

Splyce

OS

Watch

It's all rigged anyway

Personally, I'm still sticking with this setup for top 5.

I spent my entire gaming career playing for peanuts. I'm not just talking about back in the day but even in the present. Whether it's 2003 or 2017 I feel like I'm constantly attending things where 3rd place payout is a free dessert to Applebee's or a year supply of oil changes at the ESL Jiffylube. 

Last year we had a pretty lengthy discussion about whether or not we should even bother to payout for 4th/5th place at Beach LAN 5. I pushed for the payout even though it was literally a joke. Doughboy and Cesar split $100 for 5th place. The LAN went to some over the top 5 star restaurant that nobody could afford for some reason. Nobody even had nice clothes except Bonesaw. They used their $50 to get some baller ass food there and to me it was worth taking $100 off of a higher placing and giving it to those guys. Hell 1st for BL5 doesn't even get as much money as 16th for Dreamhack.

I am aware though that it's a bit different. I view one tournament as something more career based and the other as something more hobby based thats done out of passion. I'm still not a big fan of the pro league structure and feel we need more open events or ways for AM's to prove themselves. More open events with a point system like MLG's is what I would do, even though I guess from a business perspective that's expensive as fuck. Lower the payout distribution but give ams more of a chance to breakout and take a pro teams spot. I think I have a slightly unpopular opinion regarding AM's (besides them being scumbags) I love watching AM's play. Pro's are the face of the competitive community but the AM's are the backbone and if you don't do anything to support that then as a whole everything starts to deteriorate.

I do wonder though how much pros enjoy playing Halo 5 competitively for no money. I know it will vary from pro to pro and that this is still a time consuming career but I can't help but feel if players enjoyed the physical game more that prize money wouldn't matter as much. Still obviously matters overall and this situation now seems like its a result of weird business practice after asking for pro input. (huge pet peeve of mine, asking for someone's advice and input and constantly doing the opposite)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Back in my day id be happy if i managed to make enough to cover my bus fare.

On a serious note, ive had no input on the money payout but I do see both side to this to this. I honestly feel its a great step and a huge positive to be able to reward people outside of the top 8 but I also fully see the pros pov, its not just them that suffer but the orgs/owners and partners. Clearly theres been a breakdown here on the format and some kind of miss com on what/when the format was to be put public wich is the main problem and needs resolving, its dissapointing to see the pro scene pissed but clearly its warranted and theres a reason why. I dont think any of the pros are acting entitled, its not about the money to them, its other things. Ninja is simply defending and wanting more/better for the pro scene which there is zero issue with, i dont see that as entiltled personally, the man loves halo and will probably lose money by playing this week and not streaming, he just wants better which we all do.

If anyone including the pro players wish me to scale up ideas and thoughts/feedback DMs are open.

Finding the right balance between giving our am scene a reason to compete and stick it out versus ensuring our pros are looked after and have a good pot to play for is no easy feat. Regardless of issues weve had some sick events and we have a really good pro scene, anything help grow the eco system as a whole is a good thing.

Just my 2cents, Still massivly looking forward to meeting a few faces this weekend, should be a good one.

Do whatever you think will help but you'll never get more teams to turn up when the game was managed the way 343 Industries managed it out of the gate. 

And believe it or not, prize money doesn't mean shit, sponsors are pulling out of the Halo Championship Series because the tournament organizers and production crews 343 Industries continues to hire continue to fail to deliver a marketable product. 

Pros and amateurs could be making more from streaming, sponsorships, and revenue outside direct tournament payouts, but because of the mismanaged clusterfuck that is the Halo Championship Series, they have to rely on prize pools put up by Microsoft and 343 Industries to make investing their time worthwhile. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

see you act like some sort of edgy internet intellectual, but i know for a fact you failed in high school so badly you will never even get accepted into college.

your whole personality is literally a 14 year old who never grew up.

you'd think winning all that money playing a terrible game would have made you less bitter but alas that's not the case

Why was this guy banned and Lethul wasn't?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why was this guy banned and Lethul wasn't?

Because it's a banned member.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1