CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is how I feel about the prize pool distribution.

ANstMeL.jpg

A prize for SIXTEENTH place?  Are you kidding me?  This is just not how I was brought up.

First, Second, Third gets a prize.  That's it.  The real world doesn't award people for coming in 16th place.  Hell, it doesn't even award people for coming in second.  This is a COMPETITION.  People should COMPETE for a prize, not be rewarded for placing top 16.

Just my opinion.

I know it's not the same. I really do, and as I stated previously, I don't really wan't to choose a side on such a polarizing issue. However, to play devils advocate for no other reason than to have a little fun, I would like to state that less than a month ago the 16th placed golfer at the US Open received $176,153. Here is a link to CBS's report. http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2017-u-s-open-prize-money-purse-payouts-for-each-golfer-from-12-million-pool/

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know it's not the same. I really do, and as I stated previously, I don't really wan't to choose a side on such a polarizing issue. However, to play devils advocate for no other reason than to have a little fun, I would like to state that less than a month ago the 16th placed golfer at the US Open received $176,153. Here is a link to CBS's report. http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2017-u-s-open-prize-money-purse-payouts-for-each-golfer-from-12-million-pool/

Out of 142 golfers.

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me, our team numbers aren't the greatest now. Why are 1/3rd of teams getting paid again? Yea yea I get the "grind and struggle" but this is what happens when you want to get to the top of things. Something like stipend would be a good day to help for maybe 9th-12th place. Maybe give free team passes for those that place 9th-16th? Just some ideas on how to reward those and keep somewhat of a flame to compete going.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Out of 142 golfers.

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me, our team numbers aren't the greatest now. Why are 1/3rd of teams getting paid again? Yea yea I get the "grind and struggle" but this is what happens when you want to get to the top of things. Something like stipend would be a good day to help for maybe 9th-12th place. Maybe give free team passes for those that place 9th-16th? Just some ideas on how to reward those and keep somewhat of a flame to compete going.

I reckon I'm only arguing semantics at this point, but out of the 142 golfers, up to 66th place finished in "the money" be it only $22,729, a relatively small amount in comparison to the winner for sure. But if my math is correct, please do check me on it, that comes to roughly forty-six percent of the participants. According to that report, the other 76 golfers that missed the cut were all awarded $10,000, which I can only guess probably equates to the stipend you mentioned. I just wanted to play devils advocate and show that in the real world, a precedence does exist for rewarding effort. I'm definitely not trying to compare the game of golf to Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

AMs will literally stop playing the game if there is no monetary incentive for them to keep competing; people need to stop pushing the false narrative that motivations are changing from people playing for love of the game & competition to people playing for money - nobody in their right mind would start to compete in Halo for the fabled pot at the end of the rainbow. The reason for the money is that it rewards the AMs for their hard work and dedication to the game. People won't just continue to play the game if they're not getting on a pro team, not making money, and continually spending hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours to compete in Halo. We're never going to get more teams in tournaments if people think that playing the game is a complete waste of time.

They have cups, plus other community tournaments? There are still ways to make money from streams, content, etc. They could even get crazy and get a job on the side too.

Like I get it, but at the same time nothing is going to be handed to you and you need to make some sacrifices if you are serious about it. I was never that good at Halo, but I never went to a tournament expecting to make money. When I went to events I saved up money while working and going to school. I carpooled with friends for 10+ hour car rides, ate terrible fast food and snacks from gas stations, slept on hotel floors with 6 other people in the room etc to have a great weekend of Halo. I know times change, but damn try and make it work if you can.

I reckon I'm only arguing semantics at this point, but out of the 142 golfers, up to 66th place finished in "the money" be it only $22,729, a relatively small amount in comparison to the winner for sure. But if my math is correct, please do check me on it, that comes to roughly forty-six percent of the participants. According to that report, the other 76 golfers that missed the cut were all awarded $10,000, which I can only guess probably equates to the stipend you mentioned. I just wanted to play devils advocate and show that in the real world, a precedence does exist for rewarding effort. I'm definitely not trying to compare the game of golf to Halo.

Well it is the PGA, I know you didn't mean to compare them but really different setups and sponsors involved. Point is that they can afford to do this because they are big - Halo is not.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Got my str8 hat 2 days ago. Now I have a shirt, hoodie, hat, and the Jersey is on its way! So happy that T2 brought this back as an org.

I have Friday - Monday off so this is the first event I can actually watch 100%.

Also TJ you should lay low for awhile, just hurting yourself at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well it is the PGA, I know you didn't mean to compare them but really different setups and sponsors involved. Point is that they can afford to do this because they are big - Halo is not.

Oh I'm not sure anyone with a sound mind would argue that Halo is as big as the PGA, that's obviously ridiculous. However, I feel like it shows that if we push forward as a community, and help Halo grow, that a resembling structure could possibly be achieved. Basically, I'm sure no one would be against top pros being paid more while amateurs also get paid. Perhaps it is just a pipe dream, but I feel that is a cause noble enough to struggle for. The bigger Halo becomes, the closer this could become a reality, which is why I wish we would shift our focus.

• Upvote (+1) 3

prove it

Tried to find a relevant picture, but all I found was this.  I guess you win.

85TSvUq.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

They have cups, plus other community tournaments? There are still ways to make money from streams, content, etc. They could even get crazy and get a job on the side too.

Like I get it, but at the same time nothing is going to be handed to you and you need to make some sacrifices if you are serious about it. I was never that good at Halo, but I never went to a tournament expecting to make money. When I went to events I saved up money while working and going to school. I carpooled with friends for 10+ hour car rides, ate terrible fast food and snacks from gas stations, slept on hotel floors with 6 other people in the room etc to have a great weekend of Halo. I know times change, but damn try and make it work if you can.

This what the prize pool "back in your day". 

http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/MLG_San_Diego_2008

we have almost 4 times that in DH Atlanta, i think we can spare a few bucks for 9-16

• Upvote (+1) 2

I dont think people dont get excited by Halo's gameplay, they get put off by the sub standard presentation of the product, and a lack of storylines through inconsistent event schedules and formats. Look at Daytona's final, probably some of the craziest actual game play we have seen, an awesome run from an underdog in Oxygen Supremacy. Its the events which are letting the product down. 

Or maybe it's because we have the same gametypes and that shit gets really old to watch for some people regardless of who's playing.

It literally makes no difference if you paid them a "stipend" or gave them money. Why do people think a technicality makes a difference here?

• Upvote (+1) 1

AMs will literally stop playing the game if there is no monetary incentive for them to keep competing; people need to stop pushing the false narrative that motivations are changing from people playing for love of the game & competition to people playing for money - nobody in their right mind would start to compete in Halo for the fabled pot at the end of the rainbow. The reason for the money is that it rewards the AMs for their hard work and dedication to the game. People won't just continue to play the game if they're not getting on a pro team, not making money, and continually spending hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours to compete in Halo. We're never going to get more teams in tournaments if people think that playing the game is a complete waste of time.

AMs may stop playing because the entire system seems to be built to elevate pro teams and throw AMs in the mud.

Sure we had events during pro league and that's a positive but they really didn't matter if you think about it, you just need to perform exceptional on one day. Their previous results mean nothing. AMs literally get one chance to become "pro" (I know it's a day of playing but what if that one day you have an off day but have proven to be better at multiple events before).

Just get rid of pro league already

• Upvote (+1) 1

This what the prize pool "back in your day". 

http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/MLG_San_Diego_2008

we have almost 4 times that in DH Atlanta, i think we can spare a few bucks for 9-16

and we also had 4-5 times the teams compared to today.

I'm all for players getting paid, but paying out 30%+ (of teams) in today's climate is weird no matter how you cut it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree! I think money should only be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm certain the pros would still be on board with that idea, right?

I mean, after all, a prize for EIGTH place? Are you kidding me? This is just not how I was brought up.

What about dead weight players like Lethul who are obviously just leeching from the ones actually trying their best?  Only players from top 3 with a positive K/D ratio should get paid.

• Upvote (+1) 8

and we also had 4-5 times the teams compared to today.

I'm all for players getting paid, but paying out 30%+ (of teams) in today's climate is weird no matter how you cut it.

so, your argument is that we should not pay them because is "weird"

• Upvote (+1) 2

so, your argument is that we should not pay them because is "weird"

Illogical, mismanaged, bungled etc whatever word floats your boat works it doesn't change it.

Illogical, mismanaged, bungled etc whatever word floats your boat works it doesn't change it.

So, you argument is that we should not payed them because is "illogical"

So, you argument is that we should not payed them because is "illogical"

I've stated numerous times why I came to that conclusion, feel free to look at my past posts if it makes it easier for you.

This whole stupid debate fells a lot like the backlash from big streamers when twitch started the affiliate program or whatever its called, letting non-partnered streamers have sub buttons. Like, can you not just be happy that these these teams are getting a little bit of reward for still playing this game? For a scene struggling to attract players I would think ANY effort to increase interest would be welcomed.

• Upvote (+1) 8

At this point I'm cool with bribing AMs to actually turn up to events.

• Upvote (+1) 1