CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I said it already but 9-12 is making more in halo than 7-8 in cod at this tourney  :wutface:

compensation for lack of EU finals event

I said it already but 9-12 is making more in halo than 7-8 in cod at this tourney  :wutface:

i dont understand why is this an issue ?? 

The worst part (maybe not actually the worst) is that if they stop the top 16 payout and change it back to top 8, people will likely complain that 9-16 aren't getting paid

• Upvote (+1) 2

I 1000000% agree we're incredibly lucky for the prize pool to be what it is for this game but saying people put in way more time in the h1-h2 days is just wrong

How many hours do you think most pros are putting in on a daily basis? I'm honestly curious, maybe it was a minority of pros, but I know that the pros I was lucky enough to play with/have on a friends list were literally playing h2 10+ hours a day. Strongside specifically I remember never seeing not in a game or not online. Perhaps I'm wrong but I have a hard time believing players are putting as much time into this game.

How many hours do you think most pros are putting in on a daily basis? I'm honestly curious, maybe it was a minority of pros, but I know that the pros I was lucky enough to play with/have on a friends list were literally playing h2 10+ hours a day. Strongside specifically I remember never seeing not in a game or not online. Perhaps I'm wrong but I have a hard time believing players are putting as much time into this game.

top 2 had million dollar contracts to earn

• Upvote (+1) 1

its shit like this Lethul vs Arcturo argument that makes ppl call the halo community toxic. who do you think arcturo is anyway? i bet its an alt account.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Main Tournament: $175,000 Prize Pool

1. $75,000

2. $40,000

3. $20,000

4. $10,000

5-6. $7,500

7-8. $5,000

9-12. $1,250

13-16. free astros and a case of bawls

EU Finals: $25,000 prize pool, Friday, top 4 EU teams only

1. $15,000 (qualifies for NA championship bracket)

2. $5,000 (qualifies for NA championship bracket?)

3. $3,500

4. $1,500

I'll take my tournament runner job now

wow something good that has incentive for people and doesn't make lower end pro teams be the equivalent to AMs with benefits, and makes the top 8 placing have a good jump since it means more. I dont see something wrong. But wow I guess we are just greedy lol and all have no future since we are halo pros in the present day. Man I wanna work for Arturo's thriving company he owns some day.

Edit: maybe take some off 2nd and 1st so some more can be given to 5-6 or so but for something thrown on a post this is good, mainly because it slightly gives back to the Eu teams who are getting boned. Justice for eu.

• Upvote (+1) 7

What pros do you want me to interview at DH ATL? 

I've already talked to Batch and Sparty but looking for more suggestions! 

He's not talking about himself,  but to be honest he literally loses money the four days he's not streaming. At some point somethings gotta give.

Are we supposed to feel bad for him? He's definitely earned his success in Halo and on Twitch, but I dont think the fact that he's losing money competing at Dreamhack is a fair complaint on any side. 

No Halo Mega Bloks for 13-16th fuck that.

realistically yes but we wouldn't want to be called greedy now would we? everyone deserves something!

It blows my mind that people here actually believe teams outside of the top 8 should be getting paid. Not making money off of something is inherent to being an amateur. If the metric for pro status is top 8, then anything below that is amateur, and therefore you shouldn't be getting a piece of the prize pool. I am acutely aware that there were stipends for top 16 back in the day, but there was also astronomically more players competing. If there's that little competition, then there should be a corresponding decrease in how many teams are being rewarded for their placing. The idea that $500 per person is going to be the catalyst for any notable jump in teams competing in the future is laughable. A few hundred dollars to a few amateur teams will never generate that much interest. If you're grinding the game constantly, and think that entitles you to monetary compensation of any kind, you're out of your mind. The incentive exists in breaking out and becoming a pro player, then making money, as has always been the case. If playing that much isn't feasible for you because you need the money, then your focus should be less on Halo and more on getting a job.The only thing that can save Halo is a game that is fun to play, with competitive and default settings, has good gametypes, maps, ranking system, and has no glaring deficiencies from the launch. Several hundred dollars to a few extra teams is pointless, and just detracts from the players that are actually earning it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It blows my mind that people here actually believe teams outside of the top 8 should be getting paid. Not making money off of something is inherent to being an amateur. If the metric for pro status is top 8, then anything below that is amateur, and therefore you shouldn't be getting a piece of the prize pool. I am acutely aware that there were stipends for top 16 back in the day, but there was also astronomically more players competing. If there's that little competition, then there should be a corresponding decrease in how many teams are being rewarded for their placing. The idea that $500 per person is going to be the catalyst for any notable jump in teams competing in the future is laughable. A few hundred dollars to a few amateur teams will never generate that much interest. If you're grinding the game constantly, and think that entitles you to monetary compensation of any kind, you're out of your mind. The incentive exists in breaking out and becoming a pro player, then making money, as has always been the case. If playing that much isn't feasible for you because you need the money, then your focus should be less on Halo and more on getting a job.The only thing that can save Halo is a game that is fun to play, with competitive and default settings, has good gametypes, maps, ranking system, and has no glaring deficiencies from the launch. Several hundred dollars to a few extra teams is pointless, and just detracts from the players that are actually earning it.

Is sacrificing 2.8% of the prize pool to give those players who are always on the cusp of top 8 but can't quite make the jump a little something for their efforts really that bad? Do you think the top 8 is being paid too low in my proposed distribution?

I wouldn't do a top 12 payout in an event with a prize pool below, say, 75k, but I think once we hit that number paying for some top 12 plane tickets isn't the worst thing imaginable and might help sustain a credible am scene.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is sacrificing 2.8% of the prize pool to give those players who are always on the cusp of top 8 but can't quite make the jump a little something for their efforts really that bad? Do you think the top 8 is being paid too low in my proposed distribution?

When it could be distributed more evenly to the 5-8 teams? Yeah. Also, I'm pretty sure 26k is 13% of the 200k prize pool.

Edit: In regards to what you proposed, I'd rather throw the 9-12 money at 2nd place.

Are we supposed to feel bad for him? He's definitely earned his success in Halo and on Twitch, but I dont think the fact that he's losing money competing at Dreamhack is a fair complaint on any side. 

I mean it's up to him really. Again, he wasn't talking about himself, but if I were him, I'd probably stay home and make 5 or 10k streaming in 4 days than play Halo 5 competitively.

Given that the eu teams have the 7-10 seeds, EG and LG are going to have to play the 2 NA pro teams ffrom relegation first round.

1d709c3a9fc969d85dea292e7f08abebaa37426b

(I know it's pixelated, too lazy to find a better one at 1:30 AM)

Well, aren't we an entertaining shitstorm tonight? :lxthul:

My quick thoughts: 

Paying out the top 16 isn't bad. AM scene needs a bone, especially since the franchise is on life support. That said, the actual distribution of the prize pool is questionable imo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reading the last few pages is just a stark reminder on how dead this game is.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It's pretty clear at this point from their comments that a number of pros have no desire or intentions to grow a healthy competitive scene, and instead only wish to milk as much as they can from the MS cash cow before management calls time on the whole venture. Which I can understand, to a degree, but if that's the case then just come out and say it and be honest with the community: You don't care about Halo, you don't want to develop a thriving competitive scene, you don't care about any other aspect of all this except for the money. Just have the balls to be honest and say it, please.

Nobody is proposing we give AMs a minimum wage for competing, so stop acting like this is such a Marxist redistribution of wealth. Instead, look at it within the context of this particular event, where the loss of an EU final has meant that the bottom end has needed a little more to sustain the scene until Gfinity gets going with their reboot. If you want your extra $200 so badly, maybe you should have made more of a fuss when your friends from across the pond were getting screwed.

• Upvote (+1) 7