CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Complaining about the prize pool is really short sighted.

AMs have to pay the same flight, hotel and team pass fees as Pros do, except you can all but guarantee those fees won't be covered by an org. So every event an AM team attends is essentially a loss, for the vast majority at least. Take that, and the fact that Halo 5 is a very controversial and somewhat temperamental game, and it's a wonder that we have 10+ AM teams turning up at all.

I personally find Pro-only events boring. Especially when its not even the full 8 teams. I want open events, because they are the lifeblood of the scene. But this is not Halo 2/3, and so an incentive has to be offered. And it's a fair one, because if AMs can win some cash to cover fees it means they might be able to attend consecutive events rather than spending all they have on going to just one. That helps keep the scene going.

I don't really care if Pros aren't earning as much as at previous events. It's still a very decent amount for Top 4, certainly nothing to sniff at. At the end of the day, you are being given a big pay check to play a video game in front of an adoring crowd. The money is important, but not that important.

not sure where this sense of entitlement is coming from, from some of the pros. 

they want the scene to be better, yet complain when any step in the right direction is made purely out of greed. pretty pathetic and self-centred. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I can only see top 16 payout as a viable option if there is a full 128 or 256 team bracket.

But if there are only 50 teams and top 16 get paid out then that’s an issue.

Dreamhack should really only be top 8.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I believe that the Pro teams have their travel, food and lodging covered by ESL for the events?

Doesn't make that much difference to my point. AMs are still paying out of pocket big time to compete at a live event. That's not going to change, ever, but this helps a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Another day another problem with ESL.

Another problem??. More money for the AM scene is great. If OG feels that the prize money for 1st place is too low, they can always forfeit their spot, I don't think ESL is forcing them to play. I'll kindly trade whatever amount of viewers OG brings for more open teams any day of the week.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Doesn't make that much difference to my point. AMs are still paying out of pocket big time to compete at a live event. That's not going to change, ever, but this helps a bit.

Wasn't trying to change your point, just adding information. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

There's more money 9-16 because the 4 euro teams had their playoffs removed, and they know there's no chance for them to get top8.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another problem??. More money for the AM scene is great. If OG feels that the prize money for 1st place is too low, they can always forfeit their spot, I don't think ESL is forcing them to play. I'll kindly trade whatever amount of viewers OG brings for more open teams any day of the week.

AMs are getting too much. They shouldn't get rewarded that much for participating.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

dreamhack and cod anaheim both have 200k prize pool. 1st for h5 is 60k, 1st for cod is 80k. 9-12 for h5 will get 4,500, 7/8 for cod was 4,000. dreamhack will have like 40 teams(?) cod had 160. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

AMs are getting too much. They shouldn't get rewarded that much for participating.

Participating ??. They are competing too, they have to earn their placements. You know what is unfair that teams like EG,LG, Ronin and Str8 are seeded in the top8 without having to play an open bracket event in 1 year.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Participating ??. They are competing too, they have to earn their placements. You know what is unfair that teams like EG,LG, Ronin and Str8 are seeded in the top8 without having to play an open bracket event in 1 year.

ronin and str8 arent seeded in top 8 at ATL

Everyone's complaining now, just wait until they announce euro teams get the 7-10 seeds and teams get bracket fucked.

Pros are getting paid too much as it is for the amount of viewers the HCS is bringing in.

This we can all agree. Halo pros competing for millions dollars and barely breaking 40k viewers LUL
  • Upvote (+1) 2

This we can all agree. Halo pros competing for millions dollars and barely breaking 40k viewers LUL

Most annoying thing is pros coming in here and defending their dying game like it's an actual esport though.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Most annoying thing is pros coming in here and defending their dying game like it's an actual esport though.

It is funny. Halo pros that made millions on a game that nobody cares are angry because a few AMs players are going to make a few hundreds dollars.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Can we just get rid of PL and have Global Events so EU/ANZ can play NA more often in a fair environment, thx

You guys do realize that the reason we have a Pro league is because it's very cheap to run. Where are you going to get the money necessary to run more "Global Events" .

And by Global you mean EU team getting plane tickets and hotel rooms for free right ?

You guys do realize that the reason we have a Pro league is because it's very cheap to run. Where are you going to get the money necessary to run more "Global Events" .

And by Global you mean EU team getting plane tickets and hotel rooms for free right ?

I mean Global Events as having big ass HCS events and inviting all the best teams from each region to them, kinda like a Major from CS. Obviously I feel this can only be done with having real LAN in your game. Having dev kits only is quite limiting.

I think good amateur teams that care about getting better would pay for the flights if it was announced in a timed fashion. No need to come at me passive aggressive like lol

You literally have MS behind you, I just think having a PL when the game isn't popular is highly counter productive for growth.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean Global Events as having big ass HCS events and inviting all the best teams from each region to them, kinda like a Major from CS. Obviously I feel this can only be done with having real LAN in your game. Having dev kits only is quite limiting.

I think good amateur teams that care about getting better would pay for the flights if it was announced in a timed fashion. No need to come at me passive aggressive like lol

You literally have MS behind you, I just think having a PL when the game isn't popular is highly counter productive for growth.

halo 5 is not a popular game, but you think somehow that a more expensive format will change minds?

lololol, this is insanity.

MLG poured millions into gears, but the game is not popular so no matter how many LANs for however much money won't change a bloody thing.

instead, pros should be focusing on making 343 make the right decisions next time, by having the balls not to compete in a trash game.

no other community would stand for the hand we have been dealt. as bad as 343 are, the halo community is partially to blame for acquiescing in the first place

• Upvote (+1) 6

No offense, but it would be nice for ams and people outside of top 8 to make some more cash to buy better controllers, monitors, generally make life a little easier. I have always felt a more evenly distributed prize pool is better than stacking top 4 like crazy. It helps grow the scene if more than OpTic and NV and Liquid actually make some money. I mean H5 has paid out more to some Pros in 1.5 years than people made playing past Halos for over a decade. H5 is a dead game in terms of mindshare, esports viewerships and yet the money given is nuts compared to others.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, pros come on here doing that shit all the time  :kappa: