CyReN

"Every Halo FPS will have Split-Screen going forward" via Bonnie Ross

I'm glad to hear split-screen is coming back.

In terms of competition, not player base. Former Halo pros getting destroyed by pc players. You could run separate tourneys obviously but PC will always be more competitive, so what happens to all the current pros.

This is just something I've wondered for a while when they say Halo needs to come to pc.

Unless Halo on PC explodes in popularity in an unprecedented way, I don't think it'll matter too much. Yeah, you can have really good players on PC, but as long as they remain a minority, standardized tournaments will use controllers and if they use controllers, people who are interested in the money will continue to practice with controllers.

Oh, and the PC version actually has to be competitively viable and up to normal PC standards out of the box*. That seems redundant to say, but there's never actually been a Halo PC game where that's actually happened. Like, not even close to happening.

*box is metaphorical for the game going gold since physical distribution is dead on PC and it makes me crai evrtime.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can't wait to hear all about them reinventing splitscreen some way. Like, instead of it being horizontal or vertical, it's diagonal. I mean, they did reinvent our menus and aiming, so why the fuck not?

We all know 343 going to attempt to reinvent the wheel. The question is not "if", but "how".

Glad they brought back such an old feature, though.

• Upvote (+1) 5

In terms of competition, not player base. Former Halo pros getting destroyed by pc players. You could run separate tourneys obviously but PC will always be more competitive, so what happens to all the current pros.

This is just something I've wondered for a while when they say Halo needs to come to pc.

I really don't see why this would matter, even if playlists allowed kbm v pad.

Lock the tournaments to controller. Problem solved.

I was just curious to see what everyone thought of that scenario, I'm open to Halo becoming cross platform. I just always figured that old pros would look silly next to kbm players. Even if you locked tourneys to kbm I feel like it's just putting a ceiling on the skill level allowed, like if CSGO only ran tourneys for xbox 360 players. I dunno.

Obviously the biggest issue is a lack of AAA games to push Xbox hardware so that won't happen

Now what FOV and framerate will it run at?

Hmmm

for me, lower fps is fine as long as its consistent. going from 20->60->30->40 is nauseating but staying at a constant 30 is fine.

Does that bug still happen where it takes like an extra 2 minutes to load into a game when a second account is signed in?

yeah

like a lot

I'm really really really really happy about this.

Thank you to all the people out there who've expressed in one way or another how important it is to this series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are you all so darn negative about this? Its nice, but man, even with it returning you're STILL thrashing 343. We know they should've had it in H5 from the get go. 

And about that reinventing the wheel comment...nothing wrong with that. 

• Downvote (-1) 4

Why are you all so darn negative about this? Its nice, but man, even with it returning you're STILL thrashing 343. We know they should've had it in H5 from the get go. 

Because that is a feature that should've never left Halo in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Legit sat here for five minutes trying to figure out why this is news. 

Congrats 343 on being able to spin bringing a super old feature back into the game and acting like you did something.

Can we get a confirmation of KoTH and Oddball being in every future halo game? What about BTB maps? What about replays? What about Forge? I could go on.  

Just add it to the list of things that 343 should've never removed and then brought back.

I guess we should all be super excited about 343 making baby steps towards standards set 10+ years ago?

• Upvote (+1) 4

No. The wheel is fine as is. Leave it alone

• Upvote (+1) 1

Diagonal splitscreen it is.

Reinventing the wheel is what gets us crap like sprint and clambor. It gets us shit tier aiming because someone threw around the word "squirrelly". It gets us an convoluted mess of a UI when Reach exists.

You don't reinvent the wheel, you fucking embrace it and make it the best damn wheel ever to grace the goddamn pavement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Undoubtedly good news but its fair to be skeptical about how it will be implemented.  I can only hope that the implementation of past features continues with LAN support.  

Its like no matter what they don't make you happy.

Buddy, everyone here is happy they brought back splitscreen.