ThatTrueLegend

The Loud Footsteps Of Halo 4...

Should spartan footsteps continue to be loud in future Halo titles?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should spartan footsteps continue to be loud in future Halo titles?

• YES, OMG, I love them, they help me so much!
    • For the love of god and everything holy, NO WAY!

I hate them, so much... lol. They ruin flanks, and often times when I'm about to backsmack someone with a sniper they 180 noscope me and/or beat me down because this game is just so easy to snipe in and they can hear me coming from a mile a way! I hope they quiet them down like they were in H3. 

Does anyone out there like them, at all...? I've never heard anyone say that they have, and I feel like this isn't something that anyone has brought up to 343 before about getting rid of them in Halo 5.

I hope that in Halo 5 the footsteps aren't loud at all 

Btw, I'm not trying to rant, but I really hope they do not return in Halo 5. Does anyone else agree with me that they shouldn't return in H5?

:excl:  Irrelevant side note:  :excl: 

They've also ruined 1v1's in my opinion, I know 1v1's in Halo 4 are completely irrelevant but they really did ruin them even more. If you've played a recent Gamebattles 1v1 match in Halo 4 against someone who is a "Gamebattles nerd", you'll know that they 'creep-walk'. Creep walking is when you barely move your joystick and your footsteps make no noise, however, you move slower, it's really annoying and imo, makes 1v1s a lot less fun, but oh well, nbd.

Like my poll answers haha? All fun.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree with you on ruining 1v1s, it's hard to punish someone's poor positioning when they hear you tap dancing behind them. It often keeps me from getting the backsmack though. Lololol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like footsteps, I like the little " breath " you hear when a spartan sprints.  Most players take it for granted, but I remember when my teammate first pointed how important sound was out to me back when I was getting into competing.

Have you ever watched a TV show and there are generated laughs after each joke?  But you dont notice them until someone points it out? Then you CANT EVER un notice lol.  Thats how I feel about Halo foot steps, once you notice them you always are aware of them, and it can prevent guys from sneaking up on you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like footsteps, I like the little " breath " you hear when a spartan sprints.  Most players take it for granted, but I remember when my teammate first pointed how important sound was out to me back when I was getting into competing.

Have you ever watched a TV show and there are generated laughs after each joke?  But you dont notice them until someone points it out? Then you CANT EVER un notice lol.  Thats how I feel about Halo foot steps, once you notice them you always are aware of them, and it can prevent guys from sneaking up on you.

I agree to an extent. I only competed back in Halo 2 when nobody owned a headset so I initially didn't think anything about it (Halo 2 footsteps were pretty quiet anyway). Halo 3 showed me different when I really started to notice those kinds of things. But that's why I don't like Halo 4's footsteps. Those were the subtlety's that separated you from other players, now every time I come up behind a player it's like I have a mini Mariachi band at my feet screaming, "HEY LOOK BEHIND YOU" in Spanish.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I like footsteps, I like the little " breath " you hear when a spartan sprints.  Most player take it for granted, but I remember when my teammate first pointed how important sound was out to me back when I was getting into competing.

I can agree with you that sound is very important and you should use it to your full advantage. But how many times have you been playing when you were about to backsmack someone with OS, or rockets and they just turn around and gave you the business because they heard you coming? It happens to me a lot, but maybe it's just me. IMO I feel like if I have a potential good play going on, it shouldn't be ruined by the simple fact that my transformer stomping spartan boots echoed through someones Astro's haha.

I can't stand it. The amount of times I think that someone is right up on me and I'm looking in a circle looking for the opponent only to find out that it's my own footsteps is ridiculous. It just happened to me a few minutes ago. I have to stand still for a few seconds to make sure if they're my footsteps or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

TSHR TSHR TSHR TSHR CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK!

did the UNSC resort to cast iron for armor because they spent  alot of money on non-descoping technology?

They must have spent them self broke. They were using lower caliber bullets before too, thats why the BR was 5-shot right? Kappa

The loud footsteps whilst running and sprinting seem fine and logical. Spartans aren't actually feathery ballet dancers, they make noise. But when you also sound like an elephant when crouching, that's lame. Crouching has /always/ been about being stealthy, and that ruins it. Worse yet, the Stealth perk still makes noise, just a lot less. Try sneaking up on some try hard who /knows/ you're sneaking but doesn't know /where/ you are. He'll just crank his Astros up to max to listen to your 'Stealthed' foot steps and fuck you over. Kinda shit. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am not sure whether you are trying to say that you like them or that you believe it is too easy to notice when someone is trying to sneak up on you?  :saucey:

Yes they're louder but this is the only Halo so far where you can completely hide your foot steps noise.. So I think it's not that big of a deal, just kind of adds more meta game in my opinion, especially in 1v1s.

Yes they're louder but this is the only Halo so far where you can completely hide your foot steps noise.. So I think it's not that big of a deal, just kind of adds more meta game in my opinion, especially in 1v1s.

yeah but you can't slap on stealth unless you're playing infinity

I voted to leave it in game. If both players have on a headset then that should put both players on even ground. One players failure to hear something should be his downfall.

Black Ops 2 took a unique and different approach at solving the problem. Instead of universally dampening footsteps, they drown out footstep sound based on localized gunfire and explosions. 

H4 has stolen enough from CoD, what's one more thing?

If you're running down one of the streets in haven firing your BR, the footsteps of someone in your vicinity should be dampened during the duration of your gunfire.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Eh, this is one part of Halo 4 that I have never understood and it is quite confusing as to why their foot steps seem to be so loud. Spartans in general and in Canon as well previously, never sounded like Tank's stomping around everywhere. Having their foot steps so loud simply would not fit the fact that they can be versatile and agile Assassin's if their enemies can hear their foot steps from a mile away.

Spartan's Armor, Boots, have dampers that decrease the sound of friction made by the armor plating, and the weight of the armor, and it is confirmed that Spartan 4 armor is made of a lighter material than previous Mjolnir armor. If this is the case, then why the hell.. would their foot steps be so loud, and what happened to the dampers that were meant to allow Spartan's to perform operations quick and silently when needed.. the UNSC must of really went broke.

To be completely honest though the reasoning behind the louder footsteps is that once again.. we are being forced to deal with a Halo that has Armor Mods/Perks, joy. Our crappy Spartans do not have the Stealth Armor Mod equipped and thus we have no Armor Dampers to lower the noise with, awesome right?

Honestly whoever come up with this whole Halo, Armor Perk, Copy-Cat CoD crap needs to be fired, the future does not look bright for our Spartans.. not in the slightest.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah but you can't slap on stealth unless you're playing infinity

I voted to leave it in game. If both players have on a headset then that should put both players on even ground. One players failure to hear something should be his downfall.

Black Ops 2 took a unique and different approach at solving the problem. Instead of universally dampening footsteps, they drown out footstep sound based on localized gunfire and explosions. 

H4 has stolen enough from CoD, what's one more thing?

If you're running down one of the streets in haven firing your BR, the footsteps of someone in your vicinity should be dampened during the duration of your gunfire.

Im not talking about stealth, there's a technique to hide your footsteps in any playlist/gametype.

EDIT: I reread your OP, Why do you have a problem with creep walking? You argue that the loud footsteps ruin the game, then you argue that silent footsteps ruin the game. mfw  :walshy:

Isn't there a perk to quieten your footsteps? if Ghost reads this any chance of applying it to throwdown loadouts? This definitely needs to be added into Doubles slayer pro or any pro variants IMO

Isn't there a perk to quieten your footsteps? if Ghost reads this any chance of applying it to throwdown loadouts? This definitely needs to be added into Doubles slayer pro or any pro variants IMO

The Stealth Specialization, thus far we do not have the ability to add the Specialization Armor Mod's to legitimate game-types.

You really should not need a special Armor Mod to do anything.. the Spartan's should come well equipped and polished like Ninja's already without all that nonsense.

Im not talking about stealth, there's a technique to hide your footsteps in any playlist/gametype.

EDIT: I reread your OP, Why do you have a problem with creep walking? You argue that the loud footsteps ruin the game, then you argue that silent footsteps ruin the game. mfw  :walshy:

I think he dislikes creepwalking because it slows the game down too much. TBH I would be fine with a silent crouch, soft walking, and loud sprinting.. makes sense rather than having to resort to creepwalking.

It's only loud on certain surfaces. It makes sense, having a 500kg object making contact with the alloy of haven will obviously make sounds. Maybe if they decreased the sound by a few percent it would be perfect. 

I've disliked the volume of the footsteps since Halo Reach.

I do believe that sound is an important factor in competitive Halo, however being able to hear the footsteps from players that aren't even close to you is ridiculous. It allows players to rely too heavily on sound to the point where they don't have to think. I've been in a situation where I was on my own attic on Adrift and I heard a player in my basement hall moving towards my flag. In my opinion, I should not have gotten that much information solely from sound...especially given the significant distance between the opposing player and myself. If that same situation occurred in H2/H3, that player would have successfully gotten behind my entire team without us knowing and could have made a play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hate it, the only reason I believe they made them louder in Halo 4 is because there's a perk that quietens them. Just like other stuff (can't pick up nades, but we have a perk for it!)

(shields recharge slower than other Halo games, but we have a perk for it!)

I hope they trash perks and all that stuff for H5 because it really ruins the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I hate it, the only reason I believe they made them louder in Halo 4 is because there's a perk that quietens them. Just like other stuff (can't pick up nades, but we have a perk for it!)

(shields recharge slower than other Halo games, but we have a perk for it!)

I hope they trash perks and all that stuff for H5 because it really ruins the game.

Agreed, but inb4 we get even louder footsteps and perk levels (reached level 2? Now you can increase the fire rate of your primary! It kills in 1.5 seconds instead of 2 seconds now!).

Agreed, but inb4 we get even louder footsteps and perk levels (reached level 2? Now you can increase the fire rate of your primary! It kills in 1.5 seconds instead of 2 seconds now!).

omg you're giving them ideas, stahp.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Saucey, we're not debating footsteps themselves, but how loud of a noise they should make. People just type words to type words.

• Upvote (+1) 1