Sign in to follow this  
Dark Link7

Why don't more people support Project Cartographer and Halo Online?

Just curious because my 2 brothers and I have been playing a shit load of them lately and we haven't had this much fun playing Halo in a long time.  I keep coming to this forum and I keep seeing people bitch about how terrible Halo 5 and MCC is.  So why not jump on the PC to play halo instead?  Yeah H2 Vista isn't 100% exactly like the OG H2 but it's still a hell of a lot more fun than H5.  Yeah Halo online is a little buggy but again... it's so much more fun than H5.  Plus, you get to enjoy Halo with MKB and a high FOV (both are a huge deal for me at least).  Oh and you don't have to pay for XBL too (which I have been getting sick of paying for).

It would be cool if more people supported these modded games because it is the fans after all that have been working so hard to get the Halo experience we know and love working on PC.  And as of right now the population is pretty garbage.  roughy 30-40 people playing tops on both games.  So yeah.  Get some friends together and give these games a shot if you haven't already.  It's a good time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was thinking about Project Cartographer, but they limit you to 60fps. Ever since upgrading monitors and playing competitive OW at 144hz, 60 fps is pretty unbearable, the difference is like going from 60fps to 30fps -- its jarring. Not to mention the community is too small to get invested in. As for Dewrito, I don't like a lot of the assets that are in it, it still has sprint, huge annoying hitmarkers, ugly 343 styled weapons and armor and it's so off putting in the H3 engine -- It's not H3 at all. 

Lets just hope they make H3 anniversary and bring it to PC with Microsofts new program.

Project Cartographer refuses to connect to any servers, I have played a lot of H2V in the past though. Halo Online is kinda dead in EU so I have to play >100 ms ping most of the time which kinda sucks. The game is also full of weird audio bugs which gets annoying after a while.

H5F could be decent if it didn't crash every three games and the aiming wasn't garbage. 343i confimed they are never going to fix any of those issues so it's gonna stay meh.

God I love multiquote.

Just curious because my 2 brothers and I have been playing a shit load of them lately and we haven't had this much fun playing Halo in a long time.  I keep coming to this forum and I keep seeing people bitch about how terrible Halo 5 and MCC is.  So why not jump on the PC to play halo instead?  Yeah H2 Vista isn't 100% exactly like the OG H2 but it's still a hell of a lot more fun than H5.  Yeah Halo online is a little buggy but again... it's so much more fun than H5.  Plus, you get to enjoy Halo with MKB and a high FOV (both are a huge deal for me at least).  Oh and you don't have to pay for XBL too (which I have been getting sick of paying for).

It would be cool if more people supported these modded games because it is the fans after all that have been working so hard to get the Halo experience we know and love working on PC.  And as of right now the population is pretty garbage.  roughy 30-40 people playing tops on both games.  So yeah.  Get some friends together and give these games a shot if you haven't already.  It's a good time.

I mod every PC Halo game except H5F, but I rarely play multiplayer because where I am atm has a shit internet connection.

Was thinking about Project Cartographer, but they limit you to 60fps. Ever since upgrading monitors and playing competitive OW at 144hz, 60 fps is pretty unbearable, the difference is like going from 60fps to 30fps -- its jarring. Not to mention the community is too small to get invested in. As for Dewrito, I don't like a lot of the assets that are in it, it still has sprint, huge annoying hitmarkers, ugly 343 styled weapons and armor and it's so off putting in the H3 engine -- It's not H3 at all. 

Lets just hope they make H3 anniversary and bring it to PC with Microsofts new program.

I didn't know Cartographer didn't allow FPS unlockers. Strange. Are you sure?

There's several H3 graphical packs which change all the armor and weapons to their Halo 3 equivalents, and sprint can easily be disabled. Just throwing that out there.

Project Cartographer refuses to connect to any servers, I have played a lot of H2V in the past though. Halo Online is kinda dead in EU so I have to play >100 ms ping most of the time which kinda sucks. The game is also full of weird audio bugs which gets annoying after a while.

H5F could be decent if it didn't crash every three games and the aiming wasn't garbage. 343i confimed they are never going to fix any of those issues so it's gonna stay meh.

Does it still refuse to connect to any servers? What does the text at the top left of the screen say?

And indeed, the way hosting still works in H:O they're still alienating anyone outside of the Americas. The audio bug is still a major issue as well...I remember someone was working on a fix, but I don't know what ever came of it.

I shouldnt have to use all these roundabout methods to play Halo, these clowns at 343 should just do the right thing and fix their mess

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yeah the audio bugs are my biggest gripe with Halo Online.  It is a little annoying.  But I have gotten past it.  That's why i suggest getting some friends to play with just so you can focus on having fun with friends instead of you wanting to rip your headphones apart.  Apparently there is also a mod in which it fixes the audio bugs.

I shouldnt have to use all these roundabout methods to play Halo, these clowns at 343 should just do the right thing and fix their mess

I know.  I'm just fed up with 343 and their halo games.  I've given up on future Halo titles.  I don't trust 343 to make a good halo game.  And these modded Halo games have been a great way for me to get my Halo fix.  Yeah these modded games aren't 100% perfect but they still beat the hell out of Halo 5 for me at least.  I kinda have a bias though because unlike 99.999% of the people on this forum, I grew up playing Halo CE on the PC.  Still Play that Halo CE PC to this day.  I have always preferred Halo on PC vs console.  I would love to see Halo on the PC to grow.  Maybe that'll happen with a PROPER H3 anniversary port.

Because I, to be perfectly honest, care less about Halo on PC. Its great, but I enjoy it FARR more on Xbox. 

I play other games on PC. I haven't installed and played my copy of CE in a long time. So I stick to Xbox. I'm enjoying what 343 is offering...while being frustrated at what they aren't offering.

uhhh, where did they confirm that?  @@ske7ch just said that an update is coming in march thats only for enhancements and bug fixes... they release xbox along side PC so it'll be coming to PC too.

uhhh, where did they confirm that?  @@ske7ch just said that an update is coming in march thats only for enhancements and bug fixes... they release xbox along side PC so it'll be coming to PC too.

really? I'm pretty sure he said no major update is in the works a couple months ago on reddit.

really? I'm pretty sure he said no major update is in the works a couple months ago on reddit.

I think i remember what you are thinking of and he was referring to MCC i believe.  

This is from the community update on 2/2:

Speaking of Halo 5 updates, the team is hard at work wrapping up a series of fixes and improvements slated for a maintenance update tentatively targeted for early March pending final testing and certification passes. This is subject to change. We'll have more details as things start to get finalized.

My guess is that they are working on aiming for H5 PC, customs browser enhancements, server stability fixes and maybe some under the hood stuff to prep for the improvements that Menke is making.  I highly doubt there will be any kind of balance changes, thought that would be welcome.

They even mentioned in this same update that there were problems with the H2 Vista servers that they were investigating

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think i remember what you are thinking of and he was referring to MCC i believe.

This is from the community update on 2/2:

My guess is that they are working on aiming for H5 PC, customs browser enhancements, server stability fixes and maybe some under the hood stuff to prep for the improvements that Menke is making. I highly doubt there will be any kind of balance changes, thought that would be welcome.

They even mentioned in this same update that there were problems with the H2 Vista servers that they were investigating

My bad for that fucked up quote. I'm usually never on this site with my phone. But i was just gonna say that I hope 343 is gonna fix the aim for h5 on PC. Because the aim single handily is what turned down a fuck ton of PC players from playing H5. Literally everyone complained it was god awefull. However, the damage is done and first impressions are everything so even if 343 fixes the aim it really won't bring anyone back.

Seriously though, 343 is terrible with good first impressions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Woah, thanks for the heads up.

Some fans pointed out a few weeks ago that the Halo 2 Vista servers were no longer showing up in-game. Yes, people still play Halo 2 Vista. Who knew!? (seriously, I didn’t really, but the team obviously does). It turns out that Halo 2 Vista servers are somewhat of an enigma. The 343 team is currently investigating the situation (we/343 don't actually manage these servers ourselves).

News to me. Thanks @@ske7ch for acknowledging the situation. The servers have been inaccessible since July 2015. The issue has been unaddressed so long, sites that sell copies of Halo 2 Vista specifically note that the game doesn't have online multiplayer.

My bad for that fucked up quote. I'm usually never on this site with my phone. But i was just gonna say that I hope 343 is gonna fix the aim for h5 on PC. Because the aim single handily is what turned down a fuck ton of PC players from playing H5. Literally everyone complained it was god awefull. However, the damage is done and first impressions are everything so even if 343 fixes the aim it really won't bring anyone back.

Seriously though, 343 is terrible with good first impressions.

Yeah totally. I have just been getting back into pc gaming and even i can tell the aiming is janky. Its like instead of just putting in a simple KBM system that takes over when no controller is in use, they created a system that will take mouse input, translate it to controller inputs, then process those controller inputs and show it on screen. Like a shitty Xim 4.

As someone who plays solely on PC now and has to deal with ~200ms ping because of my location, I think it's kind of a mixed bag.  Each has major flaws as well as good points.  This is just my experience playing the games with high ping.  I'll keep this strictly about online performance.

Project Cartographer is the most connection based game.  If you're playing from EU(~150ms) or Oceania (~200ms) you're going to killed a fair number of times by beginners/below average players on US servers.  You will notice your bullets not registering and it can often take a whole BR clip to kill someone even though you can tell their strafing is trash.  In other words, it's bloodshot city.  Disconnects happen on occasion and crashes almost never happen.

Halo Online/Eldewrito is less connection based than Project Cartographer so you'll be able to punish people who are clearly below you in skill level.  When playing against equal or better skill levels on US servers, a large difference in ping (im talking 75-100ms) means you're going to lose most, if not all 1v1 scenarios.  Disconnects are super rare and crashes happen less than Halo 5.

Halo 5 probably has the best and fairest online code.  Shots almost always register and it allows kill trades so if your shots are good, you at least get a trade which really helps us players not from the US have a fighting chance.  Unfortunately the game loves to crash every now and then so it's probably the worst game stability wise.

Ske7ch like the Bungie Ske7ch? I thought he stayed with them, huh.

Ske7ch like the Bungie Ske7ch? I thought he stayed with them, huh.

He left bungie a couple years ago and worked at microsoft.  He came back to take over for bravo a few months ago.  He's certainly much better at communication whether he has news or not, but said he would pop in here occasionally and hasn't so that is disappointing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playing Halo Online/Dewrito makes me wish Halo 3 was actually ported to the PC instead of just playing this Facade with Sprint and terribly designed weapons. But I haven't given Project Cartographer a chance and may check it out soon since I've been primarily been playing PC since my Hype for Halo 5 has died and the drive for competitive was killed with the game.  

Personally, I think there are a few reasons for this, but it's mostly that Halo's hardcore fan-base is uniquely splintered between at least 3 games.

And then on top of that, you have:

The apparent delusion that the latest Halo will be respectable at some point (H5 isn't about to be after a year of incompetence). People feel obligated to support whatever the latest game with Halo on the box happens to be, even if it sucks ass, no one plays it, and there are better options elsewhere.

Console players with no interest in using a PC (even though you can run H2V and H1 PC on a toaster).

The well-earned bad reputation of the un-modded H1 and H2 PC ports and the fact that there is no legal way to play Halo Online.

A lot of the people who aren't trying to convince themselves that the latest and greatest 343 Industries product is good have moved on to other series.

There's a lot better arena shooters on PC I could be playing instead.  No, Halo isn't an arena shooter, but in a way that's essentially my point.

Halo 2 is slower and has a smaller aiming skillgap than those games.

Halo 2 has far inferior sandbox design and sandbox balance to those games.  You could easily rectify that by making map variants with modified weapons, but I'm sure no one in the H2V community has actually undertaken that task.

Halo PC doesn't suffer from those problems as much, but it does suffer from netcode that is absolutely embarrassing by even 2000's standards.

Halo Online is just an amalgamation of Halo 3 and Halo 4.  Don't really care.

You could easily rectify that by making map variants with modified weapons, but I'm sure no one in the H2V community has actually undertaken that task.

It's funny you say this because this is exactly what I created when I was a dev for project cartographer. It's completely finished, just waiting for the other devs to push the next release.

• Upvote (+1) 3