Katastrophe

Personal Ordnance in Throwdown

Personal Ordnance in Throwdown  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of Personal Ordnance in Throwdown?

• I like it, keep it.
    • I don't like it, remove it.
    • I'd like a change (explain in post)

That said, I actually prefer the Regen Field over the Regenerator because you can't just throw it down and say "Come at me, Bro." You need to be a bit smarter and a deploy it behind cover. Does it still slow down the gameplay, which was the reason most equipment was never in MLG Halo 3? Sure. But doesn't Hardlight Shield?

Slowing down isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you still have to think on your feet and there is a lot of metagame. I would say a Hardlight Shield in objective gametypes, especially EXT, creates a decent amount of metagame.

Anyways, if we have multiple AAs on the map, we might have to use ordnance because some of them look exactly the same. With one AA per map or initial ordnance followed by on-map weapons, however, this would not be a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Slowing down isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you still have to think on your feet and there is a lot of metagame. I would say a Hardlight Shield in objective gametypes, especially EXT, creates a decent amount of metagame.

I just don't like the sort of... clash of PoD AAs as oppose to on-map AAs. PoDs can't be timed, but on map ones can. So often we see pro teams slow the game down, wait to get OS, and then push for the flag. In my opinion, you can't do that with PoDs. I've never heard of an incident where someone said "Hey, I've almost got my ordnance... feed me kills and I'll get Hardlight, then we can push for this Extraction point." Correct me if I'm wrong though, but that's just... it doesn't have the same meshing that pickups do.

But now imagine, say, Haven with a Hardlight Shield that spawned on the middle side of bottom mowhawk every 90 seconds. Your team has decided to sack the A point and set-up for B. With this decision, two players go to bottom mohawk - one to get the HS, the other to get the point. As soon as it's up, both players are there, HS up and extracting. Or, likewise... you want to convert B. There's 30 seconds life and you know HS spawns in 10. So rather than push immediately, because all of the other team is sitting Closed and Red Subway, your team pushes 2 Blue Subway, one Mowhawk, and one bottom middle. You don't manage to get more than 2 dead, but because of your timing and decision to wait, your bottom middle guy picked up HS off spawn and was able to deploy it for a convert that, without it, would have probably been impossible.

To me, that's more skill than "Oh look, I earned enough to get a HS. Let me hope I can use it for more than trolling before my next death."

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just don't like the sort of... clash of PoD AAs as oppose to on-map AAs. PoDs can't be timed, but on map ones can. So often we see pro teams slow the game down, wait to get OS, and then push for the flag. In my opinion, you can't do that with PoDs. I've never heard of an incident where someone said "Hey, I've almost got my ordnance... feed me kills and I'll get Hardlight, then we can push for this Extraction point." Correct me if I'm wrong though, but that's just... it doesn't have the same meshing that pickups do.

But now imagine, say, Haven with a Hardlight Shield that spawned on the middle side of bottom mowhawk every 90 seconds. Your team has decided to sack the A point and set-up for B. With this decision, two players go to bottom mohawk - one to get the HS, the other to get the point. As soon as it's up, both players are there, HS up and extracting. Or, likewise... you want to convert B. There's 30 seconds life and you know HS spawns in 10. So rather than push immediately, because all of the other team is sitting Closed and Red Subway, your team pushes 2 Blue Subway, one Mowhawk, and one bottom middle. You don't manage to get more than 2 dead, but because of your timing and decision to wait, your bottom middle guy picked up HS off spawn and was able to deploy it for a convert that, without it, would have probably been impossible.

To me, that's more skill than "Oh look, I earned enough to get a HS. Let me hope I can use it for more than trolling before my next death."

Yeah, I'm not advocating POD AAs, the on-map AAs are much better for the reasons you mentioned. Only issue was that 343 never finished Halo 4 and half of the armor abilities look exactly the same while the other half look different, and there are no clear indicators (like the jetpack symbol in Reach over the jetpack)

Yeah, I'm not advocating POD AAs, the on-map AAs are much better for the reasons you mentioned. Only issue was that 343 never finished Halo 4 and half of the armor abilities look exactly the same while the other half look different, and there are no clear indicators (like the jetpack symbol in Reach over the jetpack)

I remember u4ix making a stink about how you can't tell what AA they have by looking at them. I was so hopeful that custom loadouts would work and then I saw Promethean Vision in action and was like "Well, there goes that..."

There were a couple of nice Reach medals though, those weapon specific sprees were cool, especially the sniping ones.. a lot of them were unnecessary and just clutter up your screen. Just like personal ordnance, except you can switch grenades right after you get a medal.

Halo 3 had Snipe Spree, too.

H4 medals are a complete joke. Reach medals were the start of a joke. 

Remember in H3, sometimes you'd finish the game and have like 4 different medals after, now you get like 10 rows of them.  -_-

Mods can remove some of the shitty medals now.

Wasn't there a new snipe medal or two? Be the Bullet or something? 

In Reach, yeah. 

I don't think ordnance should be tied to either points or kills or anything like that, since stats are inherently broken.  If you do it by points then it introduces the randomness as was stated up there that your teammate can do all the objective work but then he dies and you carry it 2 feet onto your flag and boom 100 points.  If you do it by kills, well, that obviously has its problems as well.

I have never seen a "stating" of halo that correctly measured player skill.  They tried it in reach with that ELO system but it wasn't very good, and the point system in halo 4 isn't the best either, so why not just admit that the system is flawed and get rid of personal ordnance in favor of ordnance that drops on the map for both teams to compete for and is *perfectly* fair?

That being said, I don't think it affects gameplay too terribly much so it wouldn't really bother me if it's kept in.  In other words the system is decent, but it would be better if they just didn't have personal ordnance and instead just used map spawning AAs.

I understand that personal ordnance was used so as to bridge the community divide and unite casual + competitive, but that is no longer necessary.

I mean, legendary slayer isn't using personal ordnance and it's supposed to bridge the gap between throwdown and casual...

kinda nice knowing the guy shooting at you isnt a problem anymore

That's what communication should be for. 343 are giving lazy players a medal now. Sure, stick it in social gametypes where no one has their mics plugged in but keep it out of competitive/ranked(assuming H5 has a divide) playlists. 

I'm honestly somewhat surprised at the difference between people who like it and people who don't. Do the EU competitive settings use Personal Ordnance? I don't follow them at all. "/

I'm honestly somewhat surprised at the difference between people who like it and people who don't. Do the EU competitive settings use Personal Ordnance? I don't follow them at all. "/

I don't see why they would. It's a very unique idea.