Katastrophe

Personal Ordnance in Throwdown

Personal Ordnance in Throwdown  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of Personal Ordnance in Throwdown?

• I like it, keep it.
    • I don't like it, remove it.
    • I'd like a change (explain in post)

I'm decent with Hardlight shield and I find plays with it to be sexy, soooo I think I'm the ONLY one here in favour of PoD :P Please no flame. 

Thruster's good, hologram is worthless, and Hardlight is a nerfed armor lock.

Have you ever sent out a hologram with rockets (either in your hands or in the ones of your opponent), not so useless anymore trust me ;)

Just a notice, the poll is about PERSONAL ORNANCE. So if you're voting to change it because you'd rather put AAs on map, you should be voting no. If you'd rather see the point requirement change or change what is in the personal ordnance, then vote the last one.

I don't want people to be confused. (: but I like the discussion. You guys are raising a lot of good points either way and whoever said it clutters the HUD, I couldn't agree more. I don't like to call in my ordnance unless I'm 100% safe because its so easy to see the damn thing come crashing in from across the map. And if you don't see it's even with Turtle Beaches you damn well can hear where it landed.

So the result is me holding on to my ordnance and having the options thrown in my face and now I can't switch grenades.

I don´t see how it clutters your HUD (or at least I don´t have a problem with it). A thing i like to do while enemys are nearby is call down my ordnance somewhere they´ll be able to see/hear it and use it as a distraction to flank around or get away. It´s another additon of depth to my rather than hindering, allthough I know where you´re coming from.

As for the nades I´ve to agree that´s really annoying (totally off topic -> remove sprint = a free button = nade change without the d-pad :ghost: )

I voted for them to stay, as I quite enjoy them for many aforementioned reasons.

On the other hand I enjoy them as map pick ups as well, especially the JP like on station 9 and orion, but also the regen field could add some new strategies to a map.

reasons

AA's should be on the map. It takes more skill to fight over them instead of being gifted them when we get points for things like "distractions". Ridiculous.

Have you ever sent out a hologram with rockets (either in your hands or in the ones of your opponent), not so useless anymore trust me ;)

Fair enough, but the hardlight shield needs to go.

Hardlight shield is not OP it has a short duration and really helps up with objective play  

Personally I don't mind the AA's in Team Throwdown. Ghost has done a handy job in selecting the competitive AA's for the playlist. I don't mind AA's.

A Boltshot however as a POD, I will chew out Ghost for.

AA's should be on the map. It takes more skill to fight over them instead of being gifted them when we get points for things like "distractions". Ridiculous.

In theory I agree with this, but in practice I don't think the level of play/metagame is yet at a point where AAs would be particularly important to the outcome of the match to the point that they'd actually be fought over. I'd still like to see them as pickups rather than personal Ordnance, but unless they're placed in locations where their use is obvious (such as the Jetpacks on Station 9) I think that most players wouldn't really divert from their usual course to obtain them until a team sets a new precedent by incorporating map specific AAs into their gameplay at a strategic level rather than a tactical "Oh I spawned next to this, guess I'll take it with me." level.

It's similar to the automatics, LR/DMR, and Boltshot/PP/Needler placements on maps now - few top players actually bother to pick them up, but if a team was to use them often throughout a game and prove that they're more viable than previously thought I think it would have a bit of a domino effect on how certain maps are played.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will also say this i think they should change it to where when you earn a ordinance you can just click on your D pad which one you want instead of a ordinance drop.I couldn't tell you how many times my ordinance has hurt me. 

This is true. If POD were instantly given to you instead of waiting for it, possibly getting killed when it drops on your head, alerting people where you are when it drops, or it possibly glitching placement and come down somewhere above you unreachable (all which has happened to me lol) - then people would use them much more often.

I'd say either make them always available, or put them on map, or make them grenades. sorta a waste though, they put in a lot of testing to balancing the current POD and i think the 3 picked were very balanced

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is true. If POD were instantly given to you instead of waiting for it, possibly getting killed when it drops on your head, alerting people where you are when it drops, or it possibly glitching placement and come down somewhere above you unreachable (all which has happened to me lol) - then people would use them much more often.

I'd say either make them always available, or put them on map, or make them grenades. sorta a waste though, they put in a lot of testing to balancing the current POD and i think the 3 picked were very balanced

agreed my friend 

• Upvote (+1) 1

pickups only or no score required to obtain them and have a new ordnance everytime you die

Is this any different from different AAs in loadouts?

Is this any different from different AAs in loadouts?

not really cept the added annoyance of calling them down :P might mean that they arent as abused or something 

not really cept the added annoyance of calling them down :P might mean that they arent as abused or something 

Less abused than what? I'm assuming you don't mean less abused than having to earn points to get them..

What would you guys say the average number of ordinances is per person in your average 10-15 minute game? Like, 2-4?

That seems about right. It's probably possible to break 5 in long CTF games when the score limit isn't reached.

What would you guys say the average number of ordinances is per person in your average 10-15 minute game? Like, 2-4?

Yep. 1-3 per TS 2-5 per OBJ I would say.

And you only get to use it like, twice before you die, right?

I honestly think PoDs might have worked better if they had been a more direct rip of killstreaks. Like if they reset every time you died and you could choose three weapons to spawn, in order, and you could only call them in one at a time with the bottom arrow on the D-Pad. Like frag grenades would be small, like maybe 20 points. But you could call in bigger things like a Sticky Det for 50, Railgun for 75, up to like a Binary Rifle for 200 or something.

I'll be honest... I hope the option for PoDs doesn't disappear - it's a nice concept - but I just hope it's implemented differently and not the default setting. Like if Halo 4 had launched with Infinity and Slayer Pro in the 4v4 playlist, it wouldn't have been as bad.

Edit: Kinda got a bit off topic, so to bring it back... while I still understand people's opinions that PoDs add a new dynamic to the competitive scene without drastically altering it and have unusual uses (like, as someone mentioned, using them to distract people when you're getting chased)... I still don't feel like they're all that necessary. I'd much rather see no personal ordnance with more PoDs on the map, like how Countdown and Sanctuary in Reach, and now Station 9, utilize the jetpack. That might also make other AAs more viable, like the Regen Field, if they were a pickup.

And you only get to use it like, twice before you die, right?

I honestly think PoDs might have worked better if they had been a more direct rip of killstreaks. Like if they reset every time you died and you could choose three weapons to spawn, in order, and you could only call them in one at a time with the bottom arrow on the D-Pad. Like frag grenades would be small, like maybe 20 points. But you could call in bigger things like a Sticky Det for 50, Railgun for 75, up to like a Binary Rifle for 200 or something.

I'll be honest... I hope the option for PoDs doesn't disappear - it's a nice concept - but I just hope it's implemented differently and not the default setting. Like if Halo 4 had launched with Infinity and Slayer Pro in the 4v4 playlist, it wouldn't have been as bad.

Edit: Kinda got a bit off topic, so to bring it back... while I still understand people's opinions that PoDs add a new dynamic to the competitive scene without drastically altering it and have unusual uses (like, as someone mentioned, using them to distract people when you're getting chased)... I still don't feel like they're all that necessary. I'd much rather see no personal ordnance with more PoDs on the map, like how Countdown and Sanctuary in Reach, and now Station 9, utilize the jetpack. That might also make other AAs more viable, like the Regen Field, if they were a pickup.

I agree, I don't mind them as on map pick-ups. The thing about personal ordinance in Throwdown that I don't like is the fact you get rewarded with these armour mods based on points. You could spawn in the base on Simplex CTF whilst you teammate dies with the flag 1m away and you just run it in, giving you 100+ points. You shouldn't be rewarded for points, it should be strictly kills.

I agree, I don't mind them as on map pick-ups. The thing about personal ordinance in Throwdown that I don't like is the fact you get rewarded with these armour mods based on points. You could spawn in the base on Simplex CTF whilst you teammate dies with the flag 1m away and you just run it in, giving you 100+ points. You shouldn't be rewarded for points, it should be strictly kills.

I disagree, because assists and flag caps and other things do deserve points. Too many people focus on K/D in Halo rather than KA/D. People in matchmaking will jump down your throat for going 5 - 10, completely ignoring your 15 assists while the next person on your team has 3. It's like... yeah right.

But to what you mentioned, yeah, it's stupid that the person who gets it MOSTLY there gets dick for points.

I disagree, because assists and flag caps and other things do deserve points. Too many people focus on K/D in Halo rather than KA/D. People in matchmaking will jump down your throat for going 5 - 10, completely ignoring your 15 assists while the next person on your team has 3. It's like... yeah right.

But to what you mentioned, yeah, it's stupid that the person who gets it MOSTLY there gets dick for points.

Sorry, I completely forgot about assists. They should reward you based on K+A then, but stuff like distractions, capping flags etc should not.

Sorry, I completely forgot about assists. They should reward you based on K+A then, but stuff like distractions, capping flags etc should not.

Distractions are a joke. 'Trophy Generation' FTL. :(

Distractions are a joke. 'Trophy Generation' FTL. :(

H4 medals are a complete joke. Reach medals were the start of a joke. 

Remember in H3, sometimes you'd finish the game and have like 4 different medals after, now you get like 10 rows of them.  -_-

H4 medals are a complete joke. Reach medals were the start of a joke. 

Remember in H3, sometimes you'd finish the game and have like 4 different medals after, now you get like 10 rows of them.  -_-

There were a couple of nice Reach medals though, those weapon specific sprees were cool, especially the sniping ones.. a lot of them were unnecessary and just clutter up your screen. Just like personal ordnance, except you can switch grenades right after you get a medal.

I like the EMP medal in Reach, and i like Snapshot in Halo 4. I just miss the sniper rifle headshot medal. One of my favorite things was to look for my headshot to sniper kills ratio. I don't think the system is flawed in the sense that it's broken... I just don't really think that these AAs are really worth it aside from like, once a series. I stand by that AAs would be better as map pick ups.

For example, I honestly sort of liked Isolation in Halo 3. Now, I wouldn't choose to play it... but if I got Isolation BRs, I wasn't about to veto it. And I liked it purely because of sort of 'Regen meta' that it had. Every game of 4v4 or 2v2, I would always nominate one player to be on 'Regen duty' and their job was to keep track of the two Regens on the map - always have ours, steal theirs and waste it if possible. It was like, THE thing that allowed you to hold the top of the map without having to rely on a terrorizing Ghost or a snipe hiding on the floody knoll.

That said, I actually prefer the Regen Field over the Regenerator because you can't just throw it down and say "Come at me, Bro." You need to be a bit smarter and a deploy it behind cover. Does it still slow down the gameplay, which was the reason most equipment was never in MLG Halo 3? Sure. But doesn't Hardlight Shield?