Katastrophe

Personal Ordnance in Throwdown

Personal Ordnance in Throwdown  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of Personal Ordnance in Throwdown?

• I like it, keep it.
    • I don't like it, remove it.
    • I'd like a change (explain in post)

It's something I've haven't seen talked too much outside the live event streams, when they're talking about how someone is really good with the Hardlight Shield or how they affect the gameplay and how they can be used effectively, and they do. Everyone has always been more focused on starting weapons and sprint. I think everyone can agree that having a player use Hardlight to shield another player who's arming an extraction point is an extremely effective strategy... but is it worth it?

So, it's a pretty simple question. Do you like Personal Ordnance how it's used, or would you rather see it removed? Or maybe you'd like to see a change, like Frag/Plasma/Pulse grenades instead? Whatever your opinion, if you feel strongly about it, let us know why.

In my opinion... I'd like to see them go. While I like the dynamic they bring (like my above example), I feel that they are too often used as gimmicks that, if anything, can only harm or slow the gameplay. If it was my choice for v5, Personal Ordnance would just be removed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would rather just see AAs on map just like in Station 9.

I agree 100%. I've always felt that they worked fairly well as pickups, especially on Countdown and Station 9.

Like if Dispatch goes the way of say, OS at Green Sticks and Sniper at Yellow Sticks, it might be nice to see the snipers replaced with like, a 90s Hardlight Shield or put it in Ring 2. Having it at the snipers would give red team an advantage in getting OS, and blue team one for getting sniper, but that might make an interesting dynamic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I voted for change (AA's on map). For one thing, removing POD's would send the message to 343 that it was a flawed concept from the start, whereas putting them on map shows how they could have effectively evolved from their infancy state in Halo 3 as equipment.

Jet Pack routes on maps like Countdown, Station 9, and Sanctuary add an incredibly awesome dynamic to gameplay. We've also seen how Hardlight POD's can incredibly influence Extraction games. Other AA's should be considered to add to maps to help add a new meta to gametypes, most specifically Objective gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

it rarely has any impact on the overall game, I think its unnecessary but then again my AA button doesn't work so I might be a little biased.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think they're fine in the state they are now, as very situational tools that aren't the core of gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I will have to go with A Change Option as well,

I feel that while Armor Abilities, and even Equipment in Halo 3 have never reached their actual intended potential.. I feel they could still be useful somehow if they were designed the correct way.. a way that no Developer of Halo or other series have actually gotten right. I am not sure how they have not either.. taken a simple concept like these Armor Abilities and making them fit into Halo is not as hard or as difficult as they have made it seem.

I would honestly like to  see some of them placed simply on the Map, but it would have to be a very, very, careful selection of which ones rightfully belong and could add to the gameplay, competitiveness,. I feel the Hard-Light Shield overall has the same problems the Armor-Lock AA had, it stalls and slows down the gameplay, it becomes a crutch at times, even when it does look quite cool and function overall pretty well. In my honest opinion it functions pretty much the same way a Over-Shield does overall, and the Over-Shield is the better item.

A Over-Shield allows you to continue to fight against your opponents and remain more vulnerable as well since all the damage you take is going directly to your own shields and character instead, and it never halts gameplay in the same way the Hard-Light Shield can. There really is no reason to have both in Halo, or used on a Map together either as they both serve the purpose of sustaining your life slightly longer or helping to capture or defend that objective slightly longer, whichever the case may be.

I am all for the removal of Personal Ordnance in general, and altogether, and perhaps Ordnance also if the Design and Concept of Ordnance is not drastically changed and made more user, Developer, Forger, friendly.

2nd post on these forums and I'm a bit drunk, but what about having only one ordinance a game. Everyone at the beginning of the game has the ability to use one ordinance during the course of the game, whether it be at the beginning or end of the game. This puts an even playing field in the game and means that it causes players to use them most effectively throughout the game (like using hard light shield if the opposing team grabbed the rockets).

Idk, maybe I'm thinking too hard ATM but it could potentially work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2nd post on these forums and I'm a bit drunk, but what about having only one ordinance a game. Everyone at the beginning of the game has the ability to use one ordinance during the course of the game, whether it be at the beginning or end of the game. This puts an even playing field in the game and means that it causes players to use them most effectively throughout the game (like using hard light shield if the opposing team grabbed the rockets).

Idk, maybe I'm thinking too hard ATM but it could potentially work

I actually really like that idea.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I personally like them and I think that PODs in future Halos should be like these.

TTD PODs add a small bit of excitement to the game, while not completely deviating from the game and affecting the game THAT much.

Lets be honest though... Some of Mikwen's thruster pack moves at UMG were very exciting and the hardlight can be used very strategically on Extraction

Initially, after it became clear how PoDs were going to be used in Throwdown, I remember saying that instead of Thruster/Hologram/Hardlight, I'd rather see Jetpack/Regen/Hardlight. I felt like those three were more 'worth the same'. In my opinion, the Hardlight is a tad overused.

And I agree with what everyone is saying in that, in the long run, it's not that big of a deal and it does add an interesting dynamic. For me, it's just a question of "Is it really worth it?" or are we just trying to cling to keeping things a bit more standard for Halo 4? To which I mention that the majority of playlists, if not all of them, feature settings that don't use personal ordnance at all, if not at least as an option.

To me, that says that 343's sustainment team isn't all that in love with how PoDs work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally would prefer if they were like the equipment from Halo 3 or evade in Halo Reach where you can pick them up on the map. This could add more strategy. On the other hand you have to think about which armor abilities are actually worth going for in this game. 
PS: Use common sense when answering, anyone say Promethean vision I die on the inside.

For me, it's just a question of "Is it really worth it?" or are we just trying to cling to keeping things a bit more standard for Halo 4? To which I mention that the majority of playlists, if not all of them, feature settings that don't use personal ordnance at all, if not at least as an option.

To me, that says that 343's sustainment team isn't all that in love with how PoDs work.

I feel the same way. I don't want Personal Ordnance at all, it clogs up the HUD, gives people unfair advantages (hls esp. in extraction for example) and prevents you from switching grenades. There's no point in using Ordnance to stick to defaults either because of your logic above Kat and also that casuals like personal ordnance because they can get incin cannons from it - replace the power weapons with weaker weapons and you alienate them anyways. No customizable starts and "tryhards" (lol) will alienate them much more than PODs, I say it's not worth it.

Well considering 343 themselves are getting rid of PODs and AAs for their own bridging playlist, Legendary Slayer. Logically it only makes sense to also drop PODs and AAs for Throwdown.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't feel particularly strongly about it currently because it's not a big issue compared to a lot of the other things like certain maps or Sprint, but I would like to see more AAs on the maps (via initial ordnance as several share the same model and are fairly inconspicuous) more than Personal Ordnance.

Well considering 343 themselves are getting rid of PODs and AAs for their own bridging playlist, Legendary Slayer. Logically it only makes sense to also drop PODs and AAs for Throwdown.

This.

Yeah, take out POD, but keep AA's on map on a 30 second/1 minute timer. I think they can really add another skilled dimension to gameplay, especially the ones currently in use in throwdown.

Hardlight requires situational awareness and map awareness: if you hardlight up close, you get melee'd easily, and if you hardlight too long before getting to cover you get naded. If there is someone flanking you, or you are exposed to several sightlines (top mid on simplex for example) then you get shot in the back, so it requires map awareness as well.

Hologram requires careful placement so that you don't give up your position in the process of using it, and it can be countered by players who are a little cautious in shooting at it.

Thruster pack allows you to turn direction in the air, allowing for cool ninja's as well as the ability to quickly jump behind cover or confuse an opponent in a close range battle. It can also be used to dodge grenades and even get outside the kill radius of a rocket.

And jetpack can be useful to take different routes on maps, but also makes you an easier target because you sort of 'hang' in the air.  

So I think they are all fairly skilled and should stay, at least as on map pickups.

Thruster packs would work great on maps with lifts. I remember I put a thruster pack on Laguna for my own enjoyment :D

PODs are useful like the hardlight shield vs rockets plus protecting an extraction, however I feel they should go. Maybe the PODs should have grenades plasma pulse and frag. Pulse grenades are extremely useful when used properly but very punishing when the grenade is missed. With a pulse you can easily get someone one shot by throwing it on the players feet, but if you miss it will barely do any damage. But then again grenades are always available on map, I'm not sure if AAs would work better or grenades, but they are a solid option since it doesn't give players a humongous advantage over their enemies. I'm confused as too which would be better.

Honestly im a halo player from the CE days as most of you are im sure. Normally i would say F the ordinances but i do believe that the three ordinances they give you in Throwdown and competitive play are great for the game gives it a means to use team work better. How great does it feel when you teammate is extracting and you straight up boss up with a hardlight shield and protect him that feels like solid team work. Also as we all know its very hard to take on 2 to 3 people in halo its nice to have a thruster that earned to maybe thrust over and ninja (which gives great clips for montages) i must say. A hologram is great for getting the enemy to start shooting when you arent real sure where they may be. These ordinances aren't over powered in anyway. I say keep them even in H5. Just those 3 though. I do hate sprint, no descoping, nade hit markers etc... Thats my thoughts ;)  

Just a notice, the poll is about PERSONAL ORNANCE. So if you're voting to change it because you'd rather put AAs on map, you should be voting no. If you'd rather see the point requirement change or change what is in the personal ordnance, then vote the last one.

I don't want people to be confused. (: but I like the discussion. You guys are raising a lot of good points either way and whoever said it clutters the HUD, I couldn't agree more. I don't like to call in my ordnance unless I'm 100% safe because its so easy to see the damn thing come crashing in from across the map. And if you don't see it's even with Turtle Beaches you damn well can hear where it landed.

So the result is me holding on to my ordnance and having the options thrown in my face and now I can't switch grenades.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it being taken out all together, but it is nice sometimes to have those clutch plays with the Hardlight shield. I do like the idea of having the Hardlight and some other AA's scattered properly or tactically in certain areas of some maps. Otherwise, i'm tired of seeing that big beam of blue light float at the top of my screen every time I accumulate it or respawn. 

I will also say this i think they should change it to where when you earn a ordinance you can just click on your D pad which one you want instead of a ordinance drop.I couldn't tell you how many times my ordinance has hurt me. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had just finished typing up a reply defending PODs, but now that I really think of it, they're not necessary. They create clutter on the HUD and prevent you from switching grenades. While the armor abilities can provide complexity, giving everyone the option to drop them creates a saturation of game-slowing elements--I'm talking to you, Hardlight Shield. However, do not think that I am advocating a ban of armor abilities entirely; on the contrary, they should be placed on the map, as other people have been saying. Having a world ordnance indicator above them creates more 'Risk vs Reward,' as picking them up will reveal your location. It will also eliminate randomness; you will know for sure when the Thruster Pack on Ring 3 or Mohawk or Blue Walshy has been picked up by the other team. Armor abilities add a lot to the game, but as with anything there needs to be a balance. @OP, I suggest you add another voting option: "Place Armor Abilities On Map."