FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

TheActMan

I Interviewed The Man Who Created Halo CE's Multiplayer

Halo 1 is a party game that also has one of the highest competitive skill gaps of all time. What's wrong with this combination? Sounds near perfect too me.

The simplicity that party games offer has always been awesome. Halo has always been a simple game that turns into a complex game at high levels...but you have to get to that high level first, it's not naturally complex.

While Halo 5 has simple aspects and weapons meant for noobs to get kills with, it's a pretty complex game. Thrust, ground pound, chamber, stabilize, sprint, etc. You have to pretty much have a modded controller to compete. Halo 5s lack of "party game" feel is one of its biggest downfalls.

What's funny is trying to play Halo 5 without an Elite or modded controller is so impractical. There's no way you can handle all the complexity just by holding the normal controller in a standard manner. I think that's a big part of making a game too hard to play. Or at least feel like you can control it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the best philosophy for making a game is to make it as fun as possible. As simple as that sounds, if the game has good mechanics, people love it, and it gets popular, then there will be players who want to be the best at it. Halo doesn't need to be made to be competitive, it just needs to be made as a good, fun game. In my opinion

First of all, I just wanted to say that I've been following your channel for a while now, and really enjoy the content you put out. Keep it up!

But on your point about a game not needing to be consciously designed as a competitively viable game in order to be one, I agree, but only to an extent. Your core sentiment is fine; I doubt Bungie envisioned Halos CE, 2, or even 3 being played at such a high level. But nonetheless, the design of the games (CE/2 more so) facilitated that high level of gameplay that we like to see, whether it was intentional or not. And as a result, a community grew around that aspect of the game, and as the caretaker of a community, it would be in a developer's best interest to ensure that as many people in your community as possible are satisfied. So when a community as passionate and as dedicated as the competitive community spring up, it would be best to address their concerns, no? (Which, for the record, Bungie didn't really do...)

What I'm trying to get at here is that it's hard for a competitive scene for a game to arise if a game doesn't have enough base depth. A competitive game can be played casually assuming the developers don't make said game borderline impenetrable to newcomers (like what 343 has done with H5). What made the older Halo games so great is that they facilitated every type of Halo fan. Halo CE's multiplayer is very deep, but that won't stop a few random joes from hopping into a split screen Slayer match and having a good time. CE satisfied both completive and casual fans to a high degree.

Once again, I'm not trying to refute the basis of your claim, I'm just trying to say that one does not need to be done to the detriment of the other. Because what may be 'fun' won't always be competitive.

Thanks for reading!

• Upvote (+1) 4

I haven't finished watching the podcast, but what the heck is azrick? azreck?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't finished watching the podcast, but what the heck is azrick? azreck?

Azurik Rise of Perathia was an Xbox Exclusive game. I never played it but I remember seeing trailers for it on some of my old Xbox discs! Look it up!

First of all, I just wanted to say that I've been following your channel for a while now, and really enjoy the content you put out. Keep it up!

But on your point about a game not needing to be consciously designed as a competitively viable game in order to be one, I agree, but only to an extent. Your core sentiment is fine; I doubt Bungie envisioned Halos CE, 2, or even 3 being played at such a high level. But nonetheless, the design of the games (CE/2 more so) facilitated that high level of gameplay that we like to see, whether it was intentional or not. And as a result, a community grew around that aspect of the game, and as the caretaker of a community, it would be in a developer's best interest to ensure that as many people in your community as possible are satisfied. So when a community as passionate and as dedicated as the competitive community spring up, it would be best to address their concerns, no? (Which, for the record, Bungie didn't really do...)

What I'm trying to get at here is that it's hard for a competitive scene for a game to arise if a game doesn't have enough base depth. A competitive game can be played casually assuming the developers don't make said game borderline impenetrable to newcomers (like what 343 has done with H5). What made the older Halo games so great is that they facilitated every type of Halo fan. Halo CE's multiplayer is very deep, but that won't stop a few random joes from hopping into a split screen Slayer match and having a good time. CE satisfied both completive and casual fans to a high degree.

Once again, I'm not trying to refute the basis of your claim, I'm just trying to say that one does not need to be done to the detriment of the other. Because what may be 'fun' won't always be competitive.

Thanks for reading!

Yea yea I get what you're saying. As far as the base philosophy, that's what I think would be best for games to start with. I'm not a designer so take that for what it is. I think from that base philosophy, game designers should then add depth, variety, and if the game gets popular then it will be played at a high level. 

That's a basic vision of how I see things haha! Glad you enjoy the channel! :D

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yo act man nice of you to stop by here(its samshepardgaming from youtube,twitch n twitter) Hardy mades some good point about the halo topics you talked about like microtransactions,splitscreen,great interview overall

• Upvote (+1) 1

Basically CE was an accident.

An accident in the sense that they didn't plan for it to become one of the most competitive FPS of all time, but the design choices were clearly though out and had a strong vision behind them.

Of course it helped that there was a small team of people that knew what they were doing as opposed to what we have now with too many cooks and a company that has no vision besides trying to sell out in as many ways as possible.

• Upvote (+1) 6

An accident in the sense that they didn't plan for it to become one of the most competitive FPS of all time, but the design choices were clearly though out and had a strong vision behind them.

Of course it helped that there was a small team of people that knew what they were doing as opposed to what we have now with too many cooks and a company that has no vision besides trying to sell out in as many ways as possible.

Most competitive FPS of all time ??. Maybe on console.

Yes it was an accident that they couldn't replicate in the later iterations . You can tell by the fact that they never address who made the decisions of making the pistol 3 stk or the Spartan traits , movement speed etc.

Yes it was an accident that they couldn't replicate in the later iterations . You can tell by the fact that they never address who made the decisions of making the pistol 3 stk or the Spartan traits , movement speed etc.

One of the most competitive FPS. Read what I wrote. They couldn't replicate it because they didn't want to. Post CE Bungie wanted to push Halo into a different direction and any competitive merit H2 and 3 had were because of the foundation that CE built.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

One of the most competitive FPS. Read what I wrote. They couldn't replicate it because they didn't want to. Post CE Bungie wanted to push Halo into a different direction and any competitive merit H2 and 3 had were because of the foundation that CE built.

Bungie hated the competitive community, the competitive merit of CE was an accident.
  • Downvote (-1) 2

It's definitely up there in terms of most competitive shooter ever on console. I can't think of any others that I would put up there with CE.

I don't follow your logic at all. The guy clearly says in the video that he made all of those decisions. That he "didn't have to answer to anyone when it came to the pistol's power".

Once H2 rolled around Bungie clearly had to make concessions in order to get the game to function on the primitive XBL and, most importantly a bunch of idiots jumped on board and changed things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bungie hated the competitive community, the competitive merit of CE was an accident.

Oh you're just going to run in circles that's cool.

I wouldn't say it was an accident. That's discrediting the hard work of Hardy & Michael Evans. It was competitive because the game itself became very popular, riding along the success of Microsoft's jump into the console gaming market and the Xbox Console. Aside from that, the game was revolutionary as console shooters played with two analog sticks was considered batshit crazy at the time.

And of course, the game itself was very fun and being able to have up to 16 people play it, is part of what helped make the game so popular. There's a lot of reasons why it became competitive, none of them were accidents

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't use the word "accident" to describe a game that just didn't have mechanics put in place specifically to make the game bad.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wouldn't use the word "accident" to describe a game that just didn't have mechanics put in place specifically to make the game bad.

Then why did Bungie could never deliver again ??

Hardy Lebel pretty much had complete reign over CE's multiplayer. He never worked on H2's or any later Halo's multiplayer. So that's why..

I hope you realize that the composition of people we call "Bungie" went through drastic changes between 1 and 2 and future Halo's. If Football Team X has a great deal of success from 2003-2004, but they sucked in 2016, maybe, just maybe, their original success wasn't an "accident", but instead their recent failings have to do with the fact that 95% of the staff, players, and management have changed since then.

Because Bungie had mechanics put in place specifically to make the game bad. Also because it's different people with different visions working on the sequels.

I recently mentions that there's a lot of nuisance of the online world... and trouble a the meetings..... and basically...

Same.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Smash Bros melee was also intended to be a party game.

Is probably the most skillful fighting game of all time as well. Nothing wrong with a low skill floor and high skill ceiling, that combination is the reason Halo took off in the first place.

Good video, wish you tackled some of the bigger fish like modern Halo mechanics and whatnot, I've talked to Hardy a lot myself and he's a nice guy.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Smash Bros melee was also intended to be a party game.

Is probably the most skillful fighting game of all time as well. Nothing wrong with a low skill floor and high skill ceiling, that combination is the reason Halo took off in the first place.

Good video, wish you tackled some of the bigger fish like modern Halo mechanics and whatnot, I've talked to Hardy a lot myself and he's a nice guy.

Have you taken his level design class, out of curiosity?