Hard Way

What would the state of Halo be right now if MCC never existed?

I think I raged on this forum like an idiot with the release of MCC but since then I hope on every now and then for a few games of TS and I must say I do enjoy the couple games I do have. I can never stay on too long due to the waiting times in-between games.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I am extremely grateful that I can get on and get in some reps of H1 2v2 with correct settings whenever I want, even if it is a bad version of it. Just being able to practice at game pace has been extremely valuable to me, since I don't have a solid LAN group.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo is an aging franchise that is trying to compete with so many other titles in the space. It needed something to appeal to a younger fanbase

Ever heard of Counter Strike? It proves that this is argument is bullshit. 

Have you also not seen the damage CoD has received from the unneeded evolution? Yeah, people don't like change unless it sucked from the beginning. Halo's population has nose dived since 3v4 took over. This argument is straight denialism.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The CoD effect has single handedly ruined FPS gaming for the most part. A semi recent interview with one of the creators of one of my favorite PC shooters, Red Orchestra, the designers and programmers had a bunch of "gamers" in for a play test well before launch. The only feedback they could pry from them was "i dont like it, its too hard, its not like call of duty". CoD is popular because anyone can play it, and they do. A 8 year old can pickup the sticks and do well. All that is required is you see the enemy first. Thats it. High probability that even in inept player will see an enemy a few times a round first.

If everyone is a king, nobody is. CoD is popular because it takes next to nothing to get good at. Know the map, have a high movement % so you spot people. (use the op scrub loadout) etc. Halo tried to copy that - and lost what made halo.. halo. I guess my arguement is.. 343 is, in some ways, a victim of all this. Microsoft executives breathing down your neck "MAKE US MONEY", well.. whats the tried and true recipe for making money in the fps game these days?

I, like many others, probably wouldnt have a xbox1 if not for mcc. So.. well played microsoft, well played.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The CoD effect has single handedly ruined FPS gaming for the most part. A semi recent interview with one of the creators of one of my favorite PC shooters, Red Orchestra, the designers and programmers had a bunch of "gamers" in for a play test well before launch. The only feedback they could pry from them was "i dont like it, its too hard, its not like call of duty". CoD is popular because anyone can play it, and they do. A 8 year old can pickup the sticks and do well. All that is required is you see the enemy first. Thats it. High probability that even in inept player will see an enemy a few times a round first.

If everyone is a king, nobody is. CoD is popular because it takes next to nothing to get good at. Know the map, have a high movement % so you spot people. (use the op scrub loadout) etc. Halo tried to copy that - and lost what made halo.. halo. I guess my arguement is.. 343 is, in some ways, a victim of all this. Microsoft executives breathing down your neck "MAKE US MONEY", well.. whats the tried and true recipe for making money in the fps game these days?

I, like many others, probably wouldnt have a xbox1 if not for mcc. So.. well played microsoft, well played.

The irony of this is Halo in its classic form is way more accessible than any other FPS. Literally everyone could enjoy it and if you're just playing with your buddies split screen, lan or online it didnt really matter if you sucked. It was still a fun game, I had plenty of friends that bought a 360 controller just so they could play in the LAN parties I held back in H3 days, they didnt have the game or an xbox so they were terrible, but it was so fun they bought a controller just so they could play every couple weekends. But it also had potential for skill development and competitively had a large skill gap.

Bungie literally nailed the "FPS for everyone".

• Upvote (+1) 1