Hard Way

What would the state of Halo be right now if MCC never existed?

I'm certain that 343 wishes they had either not released the game/had just delayed it, instead of going with just about the worst possible option, releasing it and then saying "the internal testing was fine ok lol". Keep in mind, the overall response to 4 was more or less positive. Yeah, HaloCouncil kids and a few mainstream vets of the series noticed that the multiplayer was an abomination and that the story was different and not always for the best reasons, but by all means it was fairly well received overall. When they did the whole "Map Pack Trial" PR hail-mary thing for the first DLC, they were called out a little bit for unnecessarily spinning what could have been an honest mistake, sure, but it was mostly just viewed as "oh look, free stuff!". Most mainstream Halo players didn't notice the bent truths and slyness which at this point had only hurt OG fans, and I think even a good portion of those fans still had some inkling of hope that 343 was learning from its initial missteps.

But I think MCC opened the floodgates for criticism. 343 was absolutely lampooned by any media that covered gaming at all. Casual players were forced to bear witness to 343i's PR bonanza after they realized they couldn't play multiplayer. And of course, the most important part of all of this is that MCC created a space and audience for Halo Youtubers whose role is to essentially to rock the boat. I'm certain that something as trivial as "black-undersuits" wouldn't be the point of contention it is now had MCC and certain Youtubers never existed, especially when during Halo 4 people were still arguing over whether the Covenant design looked good or not (unlike now, where the general consensus is that the Covenant designs look unfitting at best, and there's a huge push for the old artstyle). Throughout any community that isn't filled with people who joined the franchise extremely recently, there's a huge disdain for the company. The PC Halo community, for example, is filled with people that either don't agree with 343's decisions or more plainly do not like 343 and denounce anything after Reach or 4.

I know Halo 5 would be better received if it wasn't followed up by MCC, but I can't say by how much. Assuming they didn't add more features before launch...Infection, Grifball, Forge, and countless other communities were left out for an incredible amount of time after launch, the campaign was still poorly written and marketed, and the game in general was still quite barren and unpolished. At the very least they would have more respect from gaming media and wouldn't have to deal with being in the never-ending shadow of MCC's failures.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Not sure about the state of halo but the state of my happiness would be much higher if that piece of dogshit never got released.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm glad it happened because it showed 343's true colors more than anything.

This 100% 343 showed themselves to be an incredibly scummy company with how they handled MCC and I think most of us just thought that 343 was just incredibly incompetent.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 5 would've been a bit more polished. Most of MCC was outsourced, so not much extra manpower would've been added.

Halo 5 would've sold more too, because at least some of the people who were never burned by MCC would've still been craving new Halo.

However, something Halo-related was always going to be released in MCC's spot. The Xbone was in a bad spot at the time, and it needed a killer app. A more fleshed-out H2A would've been a better idea, but I'm guessing some number cruncher somewhere figured that a collection would sell more Xbones than a lone remaster, not realizing that you can't just press a "port" button...

...or they DID realize that, and added a PR escape plan to the doomed project. Take your pick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should have just focused on H2A, they really did bite off more than they could chew putting all those games on one disc with the multiplayer components of each one.

A lot would put H4 down as a one off and gave 343 a pass but with how bad the launch was it really soured the reputation of 343 and damaged the brand in a big way.

Seems they still didn't learn with H5 but at least it functioned day 1 I suppose. They really can't afford another slip up with H6, the game needs to be content and feature full at launch and hopefully with a decent campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When MCC launched, I was able to connect to at least 50 people that I hadn't played with on XBC or LAN'd with since 2007.   I'm glad it launched, because it really showcases how Hardy Lebel was able to make a better game with less technology and resources than what 343 currently has been able to do.  I mean, they can't even properly replicate something he make 15+ years ago. That's how great of a game it is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No amount of extra time pre launch could save Halo 5 from 343. It still would have been missing key features, gametypes and have the same cancerous gameplay.

And 343/Msoft did so well sweeping MCC under the rug that most people wouldn't even realise it's still an unplayable fucking mess that's never going to be fixed.

I don't think it would be any different because 343 already had their mind made up at that point on what direction they were going with H5. They knew they were going to to jettison their aging fan base and aim for the next generation and MCC was an attempt to appease the old crowd while they themselves moved on. When it turned out to be harder than they thought they just gave up and said the hell with it. Nothing would save H5 from 343's perverse vision of Halo. MCC, for me, allowed me to accept that Halo as I knew it would never return, so I quit wasting time with 343 (giving feedback, posting, and all that jazz). I knew it wouldn't return because they couldn't even get the original games to play right, so there's simply no hope for them. The best we can hope for is that they fail completely and new blood takes over. Sorry to be so grim but that's my honest, heart felt view of the situation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I believe that H2A was the original goal for 343 and MCC was a push from MS corporate to jump in on the remastered games bandwagon that was going on at the time. They were in a tight spot though. Had they released MCC with just campaign content they would have lost out on the MP crowd (unless H2A was fully fleshed out) but the chance to do something unique presented itself (all MP games in one match making system) and they just went for it. The rest is history.

I do believe it's impact on Halo 5 was noticeable though. Halo is an aging franchise that is trying to compete with so many other titles in the space. It needed something to appeal to a younger fanbase but it came at the cost of the simplicity in gameplay that Halo is known for. Pair that with the trepidation from consumers over MCC online issues and we find ourselves here.

What 343 did do right was the free content updates (thanks to the added REQ system). When I was first told that this was a thing I didn't think it would work. Typically, that would only work with F2P games and not a boxed $60 release but it worked. Games like COD, Rainbow 6, Overwatch, etc followed suit and it was proven that people would be willing to spend a little to get a lot (free maps, weapons, etc). While that was a win for the industry there are still to many glaring issues that set Halo back.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I do believe it's impact on Halo 5 was noticeable though. Halo is an aging franchise that is trying to compete with so many other titles in the space. It needed something to appeal to a younger fanbase but it came at the cost of the simplicity in gameplay that Halo is known for. Pair that with the trepidation from consumers over MCC online issues and we find ourselves here.

Eh, appealing to a younger fanbase wouldn't do anything. We're all idiots anyway. Those who didn't like Halo weren't going to buy it because now it mimicked another game, they'd just continue to bash it and accuse it of copying CoD or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Eh, appealing to a younger fanbase wouldn't do anything. We're all idiots anyway. Those who didn't like Halo weren't going to buy it because now it mimicked another game, they'd just continue to bash it and accuse it of copying CoD or whatever.

Fucking THIS.

However, there are also kids that are so conditioned by post-2008 shooters that flip their shit when they can't sprint or ADS. But to them I say, learn a new damn game. We shouldn't be changing good established games to meet industry trends, especially when it corrupts the existing game. Halo was a tragic victim of this, largely perpetrated by 343. 

Stop chasing trends, and make a good, unique game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I believe that H2A was the original goal for 343 and MCC was a push from MS corporate to jump in on the remastered games bandwagon that was going on at the time. They were in a tight spot though. Had they released MCC with just campaign content they would have lost out on the MP crowd (unless H2A was fully fleshed out) but the chance to do something unique presented itself (all MP games in one match making system) and they just went for it. The rest is history.

What 343 did do right was the free content updates (thanks to the added REQ system). When I was first told that this was a thing I didn't think it would work. Typically, that would only work with F2P games and not a boxed $60 release but it worked. Games like COD, Rainbow 6, Overwatch, etc followed suit and it was proven that people would be willing to spend a little to get a lot (free maps, weapons, etc). While that was a win for the industry there are still to many glaring issues that set Halo back.

I disagree with this idea that somehow Halo has to reinvent thr wheel in order for it to compete with other games, look at CS GO staying 90% true to roots, some guns are a little overpowered, but the game overall is thriving in it's simplicity on maps that are older than the xbox itself. CoD is finally realizing that it has to go back to save itself after 3 years of complaining about everyone flying across the maps. We have been complaining about that for 7 years now. I think our best bet is that Halo 7 will go back to roots, otherwise we will always have a ceiling above our heads on how big we can get.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would have been more happy if 343 just gave us H2A and H2C in one package instead of giving us the whole franchise. I honestly think everything would have gone smooth on launch day if they gave us just that. 

I don't know how the overall state of the franchise would be - likely there'd be a bit more goodwill since so many expectations and hopes wouldn't have been shattered - but I know I'd be worse off for not being able to dabble in H1 at all. Even the not-quite-right version we have in MCC is still leagues ahead of any other Halo experience for jumping into 2v2 customs with some friends and having a great time that manages to be fun, nostalgic, and rewarding.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Fucking THIS.

However, there are also kids that are so conditioned by post-2008 shooters that flip their shit when they can't sprint or ADS. But to them I say, learn a new damn game. We shouldn't be changing good established games to meet industry trends, especially when it corrupts the existing game. Halo was a tragic victim of this, largely perpetrated by 343.

Stop chasing trends, and make a good, unique game.

The fallacy that somehow modern games are "faster" because of sprint and that og halo just wouldn't appeal to the ADD generation drives me nuts. OG Halo is incredibly fast, on average and depending on map, in terms of engagements per minute. H1 and H2 are much more action packed and less clunky than modern Halo. Of course I only have a sample size of 1, but I introduced my son to OG Halo CE on OG XBox when he was 6 (13 now) and H1-3 are the only games that have "stuck". Even as bad as MCC has been he still ends up coming back to it after stints on Destiny, Battledield 1, etc. He dropped H5 in about 6 weeks (although will still play H5 infection, we he thinks is good). The other I thing I noticed is that he progressively laughed less as the series went on - you can't beat the raw fun factor of the original series. If you're really worried about appealing to the younger generation I would say check your assumptions, real fun is timeless and inter generational.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Im kinda late, but if I remember correctly there was a pretty decent time before MCC released and after that Halo 4 FFA finals where everyone was just kinda hanging out playing different Halo games for fun. Naded and 2gre and other pros would play H2 and H3 customs and sometimes 2gre would play h1 on XBC and then there was a good amount of Halo 3 online tournaments and the viewership was actually pretty good and dare I say people were coming back to the game to play for fun.

Sure this was after the fact that MCC was announced but I feel like if that sort of thing continued, Halo would've been in a better state for sure because people were playing for fun with no worries of major tournaments and there was a little resurgence for the older halo games. who knows how much it would've continued into 2015 and we'll never know since MCC killed just about all that momentum. 

If mcc hadn't come out, I never would have bought an xbox one.  As much as mcc was a massive disappointment, the ability to hop on and play h2/h3 snipers occasionally is why I haven't sold my xbox one.  Also, I'm only following hcs now because of the h2a stuff.  I lost all interest in mlg halo after reach came out.  Halo 5 alone would not have gotten me back into it.  The h2a stuff played on nostalgia so well.  

I think it was a net gain for 343, to be honest.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

If MCC was never revealed I wouldn't have bought an Xbox One. After Halo 4 came out I moved on from Halo. Nostalgia got the best of me when MCC revealed, I will never forgive 343 what they have done, ever.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I disagree with this idea that somehow Halo has to reinvent thr wheel in order for it to compete with other games, look at CS GO staying 90% true to roots, some guns are a little overpowered, but the game overall is thriving in it's simplicity on maps that are older than the xbox itself. CoD is finally realizing that it has to go back to save itself after 3 years of complaining about everyone flying across the maps. We have been complaining about that for 7 years now. I think our best bet is that Halo 7 will go back to roots, otherwise we will always have a ceiling above our heads on how big we can get.

This is what I'm talking about.  You have a sound understanding of the situation and already know that halo 6 will be a massive fuck up, so only Halo 7 could possibly have the potential to go back to the roots.

Speaking personally, I never would have bought an Xbox One if MCC didn't exist. The original Halos were an integral part of my childhood and the lure of the chance to play them all over XBL with my friends was way too strong to resist. Halo 5 would have never gotten me to purchase a One. The only reason I play it is because I got a free copy.

Now my Xbox kinda just collects dust in the corner unless I'm playing Overwatch, Titanfall or Perfect Dark.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is what I'm talking about.  You have a sound understanding of the situation and already know that halo 6 will be a massive fuck up, so only Halo 7 could possibly have the potential to go back to the roots.

One thing that is certain is that whatever we say here can only be implemented in the development of the next game, not the upcoming one. They have had their chances with this new approach, we want out.

I think if MMC never happened. Halo 5 wouldn't have taken off like it has.

After halo 4 I think a lot of people were just done with halo. And no one wanted to buy an xbox one for a game that was just like halo 4(or so they thought). When MCC was announced halo had a big hype train full of nostalgia, we had crazy amounts of viewers at the MCC h2a launch event on twitch like 50k-70k. A lot of pro players and halo fans got an xbox one literally to play H2 competitively again. And h3 etc. 

For me personally, I was done with halo after halo reach. I got Halo 4 just for nostalgia and I didn't play more than 5-10 games total. Then life just moves on. Years later I somehow catch that E3 presentation were Bonnie Ross announced that we were going to be able to play every halo online again competitively. That's when I joined the hype train and it's the only reason I'm here. I don't think there's any other way I would have bought an xbox one or even looked at a halo 5 trailer without it. 

Then MCC sucked for many reasons, but they did a good job of convincing me that halo 5 would be a lot better than halo 4 so I have it a chance. I'm sure that a lot of the pro players besides the young new talent wouldn't be playing halo 5 if not for that MCC hype train.

tl'dr MCC was a pretty good play by 343 for getting people to actually look at halo again and get an xbox one so they can sell us halo 5.