Infinity

CSR is Still Flawed: A Comprehensive Review of Halo 5's Ranking System

You are not very smart are you ?. FFA with powerup and power weapons would still be unbalanced even in your precious CE.

FFA is about gun skill, smarts and some luck in the spawns not about if you spawned close to a power weapon or rifle.

How about you check your reading comprehension skills before you start questioning my intelligence?

Here, I'll do it for you:

"I agree on the no power weapons/ups"

I also mentioned the nature of Halo 5's "everything's an upgrade" sandbox, which from a technical standpoint, means EVERY weapon in the game is a FORM of power up. Go reread my quoted sentence above. Read it very carefully.

And buddy, you don't fucking know me at all. I NEVER got to play CE's multiplayer, and only have subpar, barely similar sandboxes to gain reference from. So I studied CE's sandbox to gain as much knowledge as to why the competitive community valued it so much. Honestly, as a 3/Reach Kid, it didn't take me very long to figure out the value of CE's sandbox and realize how dumbed down and problematic each sequels respective sandboxes were. Just simple cross referencing shows that CE still has a better sandbox across the board with the least amount of gameplay/balance/redundancy issues. So take that CE comment, and shove it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It seems to me pws make the spacing issues worse. Especially since whether or not you get one is a crap shoot.

How is it a crap shoot? You position and jocky for map positioning when they're coming up.

Pws help the spacing issues because they allow for instant kills.

It seems to me pws make the spacing issues worse. Especially since whether or not you get one is a crap shoot.

FFA is a veritable Cow Chip Raffle for who is going to win.

How is it a crap shoot? You position and jocky for map positioning when they're coming up.

wow, this really tells me all i need to know.

You think that the majority of the time in FFA that people get a PW/PU its because they worked for it? that's funny.

Are you just playing Devils Advocate at this point?

• Upvote (+1) 2

You think that the majority of the time in FFA that people get a PW/PU its because they worked for it? that's funny.

He probably doesn't play Halo anymore.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm assuming you didn't play much 50 high h3 lw?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Solo & Team Matchmaking: Next is something that everyone just loves to talk about—matching Teams of 4 as a Solo player. The brutal honest truth is that this is a difficult subject to discuss due to Halo 5's lower population numbers (relative to other competitive games). First and foremost, provisions must immediately be put in place to at the very least favor teams matching each other. The steps you take next to curb this issue are very situational. If you limit TO4's to only match TO4's, it would likely throttle search times and make the matchmaking experience very sluggish. 

If the population actually is a problem with party restrictions being implemented, then why not make a "Search Preference" for party restrictions? This way players could choose to turn it off or on. I know I would turn it on to get a fair match, I don't care if I have to wait 5 minutes or so for that honestly. And if I wanted to just play quick games I'd turn it off. 

For some players it's quality > quantity, ESPECIALLY in ranked. The moment a ranking system favors quantity > quality it becomes flawed and high ranks only reflect those who play more for the most part. It's basically social at that point since the ranks are useless. 343i should use social for quick matches and Ranked for quality matches.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Accidental up vote, LW was cancer with objective gametypes and ARs

Oh for sure. It was awful.

Its less about jocking for positioning, and more about getting a lucky spawn at a convenient time.

Instant kills are cool when you actually earn the weapon. But when they just fall into your lap, as is the case in FFA, i don't see how they help with anything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its less about jocking for positioning, and more about getting a lucky spawn at a convenient time.

Instant kills are cool when you actually earn the weapon. But when they just fall into your lap, as is the case in FFA, i don't see how they help with anything.

That's an oversimplification.

8 man pistol only FFA is actually pretty dope. I wish that's how they treated it in this game.

I'd play that. I can't play it in its current form. i learnt quickly that I had to sprint in with auto's blazing and It just felt dirty. I even managed to rank diamond 3 and competing with high diamond low onyx (good for me) one season by spamming autos and getting lucky with a over-shield/fuel-rod spawn on regret (taking me from last place with 5 kills to third place in the last few minutes.

I may not be good but I know that's not how it should be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd play that. I can't play it in its current form. i learnt quickly that I had to sprint in with auto's blazing and It just felt dirty. I even managed to rank diamond 3 and competing with high diamond low onyx (good for me) one season by spamming autos and getting lucky with a over-shield/fuel-rod spawn on regret (taking me from last place with 5 kills to third place in the last few minutes.

I may not be good but I know that's not how it should be.

Oh for sure, FFA now is straight ass. I never play it. I wouldn't even play it over fiesta. Literal garbage.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I played a Tour the Walsh the other day pistols only on Empire, pretty good.

Oh I saw that gametype before and didn't know what it was. I'll definitely check that out. Nice one.

That is what Menke posted on the Waypoint forums , with the lovely 1-30 analogy, wich is kind of stupid because their are players that my chances to beat are way lower that 1/30 I can beat Frosty maybe in 1/100000000 matches.

Pulled you into the ranking thread.

This is wrong.  That single part of his post was an example to explain how the calculation works to add or subtract CSR from someones skill ranking.  It was not an explanation of the solutions.

Menke had a bunch of other ideas in his multiple threads and replies for how to actually fix the system so you are matching more appropriate competition more often.  You're pulling a single paragraph out of dozens and presenting it out of context.

Pulled you into the ranking thread.

This is wrong. That single part of his post was an example to explain how the calculation works to add or subtract CSR from someones skill ranking. It was not an explanation of the solutions.

Menke had a bunch of other ideas in his multiple threads and replies for how to actually fix the system so you are matching more appropriate competition more often. You're pulling a single paragraph out of dozens and presenting it out of context.

My point is that I should never match a player that I can't beat ever, it doesn't matter if I don't lose much CSR I should never match a Frosty kind of player.

My point is that I should never match a player that I can't beat ever, it doesn't matter if I don't lose much CSR I should never match a Frosty kind of player.

You do understand this is a 'real world' matchmaking system, right? Ideal scenarios are nice and all, but when there are multiple (factors at play such as population size, proximity, skill level, MM times, etc), concessions will always have to be made.

If there were 100,000 people on your closest server at all times, YOU'D never run into a Frosty kind of player on the old system OR Menke's new one, unless you were that good. But we don't have the luxury. Also, Frosty type players have to get matches too.

Edit: are you constantly running into Frosty like players?

You do understand this is a 'real world' matchmaking system, right? Ideal scenarios are nice and all, but when there are multiple (factors at play such as population size, proximity, skill level, MM times, etc), concessions will always have to be made.

If there were 100,000 people on your closest server at all times, YOU'D never run into a Frosty kind of player on the old system OR Menke's new one, unless you were that good. But we don't have the luxury. Also, Frosty type players have to get matches too.

Edit: are you constantly running into Frosty like players?

I don't match Frosty per se but I have matched 2900s players being a 1500 Onyx player, that is the same difference of Diamond player matching a Broze 1 player, it shouldn't happen.

I don't match Frosty per se but I have matched 2900s players being a 1500 Onyx player, that is the same difference of Diamond player matching a Broze 1 player, it shouldn't happen.

It's really not. Have you seen bronze 1 players lmao?

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's really not. Have you seen bronze 1 players lmao?

Well, for the system it is. A Bronze 1 player has 0 CSR and a Diamond 6 player has 1499 CSR, basically a 1500 CSR difference, the same I have when I play 2900 Onyx players.

I don't match Frosty per se but I have matched 2 900s players being a 1500 Onyx player, that is the same difference of Diamond player matching a Broze 1 player, it shouldn't happen.

Well, for the system it is. A Bronze 1 player has 0 CSR and a Diamond 6 player has 1499 CSR, basically a 1500 CSR difference, the same I have when I play 2900 Onyx players.

It's not though, onyx is fucked up, because you can grind a high CSR without actually beating quality opponents. That was the whole point of his "1/30" segment.

His new system would keep rankings in check, and DECREASE your chances of meeting people who are way better than you, because CSR would be a better representation of skill discrepencies, especially at high levels.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But you can go up infinitely. You can only go down to 0. I assure you if some people could be -2900, they would be lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I keep peeking into the rank system thread at waypoint and some of the things that people there are saying just makes my stomach turn.  And i wish that was hyperbole.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not though, onyx is fucked up, because you can grind a high CSR without actually beating quality opponents. That was the whole point of his "1/30" segment.

His new system would keep rankings in check, and DECREASE your chances of meeting people who are way better than you, because CSR would be a better representation of skill discrepencies, especially at high levels.

You can grind CSR now because the system is broken and is awarding Champions with too many points.

The 1/30 argument makes perfect sense and prevents grinding. For some reason, Champions can earn 10+ points for wins against people who are far lower than them. That's what is breaking the current system.

I keep peeking into the rank system thread at waypoint and some of the things that people there are saying just makes my stomach turn.  And i wish that was hyperbole.

Yeah, it's a shame @@DoctorJ is posting there rather than here, where we are having some well thought out discussions.