Infinity

CSR is Still Flawed: A Comprehensive Review of Halo 5's Ranking System

Speaking of nudges, I'll again point out that it bothers me that playing warzone is the easiest way to earn xp and rp payouts..

It removes much of the incentive for people to try and grind arena.

It would make much more sense to give team arena the higher payouts- to lure people into arena to quickly replenish their warzone arsenal, especially if ranking up increased your RP earning potential.

343 is terrible at dangling the carrot

I think they are finally rectifying this. Infection recently got a big boost in XP to the point that it's the fastest w/ Arena XP boosts (which also got a bump) to reach SR152.

Just gotta wait for it to roll out to more Arena playlists, if that's the plan.

The simple fact is that pretty much every single 343 map/weapon layout fucking sucks for those modes. Doubles was fun when they used community forge maps actually made for it. What ruined it was ditching those for hot garbage in-house maps that literally only work for 4v4 at best. Why they thought that was a good idea, I will never know. The same could make for a bit improvement to FFA (though, I think FFA in H5 will pretty much always be bad).

​>Make Doubles and FFA ranked

>Refuse to meaningfully change settings to make them playable

>Bask in the knowledge that you are the best developer ever

You can't fix ffa in this game. In combat movement and kill times are too slow compared t out of combat movement. The spacing is just all kinds of fucked up and you can't fix it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can't fix ffa in this game. In combat movement and kill times are too slow compared t out of combat movement. The spacing is just all kinds of fucked up and you can't fix it.

8 man pistol only FFA is actually pretty dope. I wish that's how they treated it in this game.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

8 man pistol only FFA is actually pretty dope. I wish that's how they treated it in this game.

Yuck

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think they are finally rectifying this. Infection recently got a big boost in XP to the point that it's the fastest w/ Arena XP boosts (which also got a bump) to reach SR152.

Just gotta wait for it to roll out to more Arena playlists, if that's the plan.

So weird that they 'tested' this with Infection. Why not Team Arena which actually needs more players for the matchmaking to work effectively. Also, what exactly is there to test? People who play it will get more XP.

It just seems like to me, it's obvious that you'd want your Core modes to provide the most incentive to grind, especially if you now have a vested interest in marketing competitive play to the more causal audience.

I'd rather have an improved sandbox. I like pistol only matches. But I'd rather not be forced to use it just cause the rest of the sandbox is so fucked that we have to remove everything just to get fair match.

I'd rather have an improved sandbox. I like pistol only matches. But I'd rather not be forced to use it just cause the rest of the sandbox is so fucked that we have to remove everything just to get fair match.

Well that's just in spirit of keeping FFA as a true skill match. It's supposed to be just you against the world on an even arena. It's already got random starting spawns and no way to influence your own spawn so keeping it as a piston only list would be my preference. Make it about straight up gunskill and positioning.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The only 8 man ffa i have played has been on the god aweful giant forge maps. I would like to try it on a proper map with no pickups.

What halo 6 really needs is a PTR. Even on console. Let thousands of fans that arent biased towards their own creations give feedback on changes during the whole process.

How was competive ffa handled on previous titles?

It seems to me that pickups would always ruin it because you have no control over where you spawn.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How was competive ffa handled on previous titles?

It seems to me that pickups would always ruin it because you have no control over where you spawn.

FFA in Matchmaking has always used shitty settings besides the H3 MLG FFA playlist that existed briefly before it was cut due to low population

FFA in Matchmaking has always used shitty settings besides the H3 MLG FFA playlist that existed briefly before it was cut due to low population

What were the settings in the mlg playlist?

What were the settings in the mlg playlist?

Looking at Halopedia, it was Guardian, Heretic, Lockdown, Reactor (Assembly with top of bases blocked off) and Citadel with all power ups and power weapons removed from maps. BR starts, and only frags & plasmas on the maps.

I haven't played it, but it sounds dope... what makes it yucky to you?

Player spacing would still be fucked. Actually probably even more so.

Looking at Halopedia, it was Guardian, Heretic, Lockdown, Reactor (Assembly with top of bases blocked off) and Citadel with all power ups and power weapons removed from maps. BR starts, and only frags & plasmas on the maps.

This plus it was infinite score 10 minute(?) rounds I believe. Also, if a map was vetoed it would always change to Heretic after veto.

Here's some gameplay:

This plus it was infinite score 10 minute(?) rounds I believe. Also, if a map was vetoed it would always change to Heretic after veto.

Here's some gameplay:

That's some good shit right there.

So?  FFA has ALWAYS been chaotic with weird spawns and spacing.  Thats just a part of it.  Whats not supposed to be a part of it is someone spawning next to camo, or rockets or scatter and getting an instant win.  I haven't played FFA in a few seasons because its never a fight between 2 people with the same weapon. One of the last games I played i was down by 8ish kills on The Rig and got Camo and Scatter because I happened to spawn basement and they were both up.  I earned neither one of those but got them, went ham and won the game.  I didn't deserve that win.  I got lucky and fucked over multiple people that were ahead of me.

They tried to fix the "too much chaos OMGGG!!!" problem by reducing the number of players instead if fixing the things that were actually causing the problem. Now with less players but just as many weapons and PUs, there is an average higher percentage of people at any one time that have a PU/PW which is not an improvement.  

If they want more people to play FFA they need to fix the weapons on the map and retool some of them. Fix the luck/skill ratio.  A properly tuned 8 man FFA is going to be chaotic, but also fun and worthy of ranking.  right now it's none of those things.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well that's just in spirit of keeping FFA as a true skill match. It's supposed to be just you against the world on an even arena. It's already got random starting spawns and no way to influence your own spawn so keeping it as a piston only list would be my preference. Make it about straight up gunskill and positioning.

If the games sandbox was a properly designed, utility based one with niche weaponry, we wouldn't need to strip everything away from the map. Halo 5's "everything's an upgrade" bullshit is the reason magnum only is the only way to properly balance FFA. I agree with no power weapons/ups, but it's just sad that's how far we have go just to make the gamemode even remotely playable.

So? FFA has ALWAYS been chaotic with weird spawns and spacing. Thats just a part of it. Whats not supposed to be a part of it is someone spawning next to camo, or rockets or scatter and getting an instant win. I haven't played FFA in a few seasons because its never a fight between 2 people with the same weapon. One of the last games I played i was down by 8ish kills on The Rig and got Camo and Scatter because I happened to spawn basement and they were both up. I earned neither one of those but got them, went ham and won the game. I didn't deserve that win. I got lucky and fucked over multiple people that were ahead of me.

They tried to fix the "too much chaos OMGGG!!!" problem by reducing the number of players instead if fixing the things that were actually causing the problem. Now with less players but just as many weapons and PUs, there is an average higher percentage of people at any one time that have a PU/PW which is not an improvement.

If they want more people to play FFA they need to fix the weapons on the map and retool some of them. Fix the luck/skill ratio. A properly tuned 8 man FFA is going to be chaotic, but also fun and worthy of ranking. right now it's none of those things.

It's always been chaotic but people used to move at the same speed in combat and out of it. This afforded individual battles some space. In H5 it's way too easy to see a battle taking place and fly across the map to get involved.

A pistol's perfect ttk is 1.2 seconds. You can get half way across most maps in 2 seconds. That's an inherent issue that breaks ffa in H5.

It's always been chaotic but people used to move at the same speed in combat and out of it. This afforded individual battles some space. In H5 it's way too easy to see a battle taking place and fly across the map to get involved.

A pistol's perfect ttk is 1.2 seconds. You can get half way across most maps in 2 seconds. That's an inherent issue that breaks ffa in H5.

This is an excellent point and very very true.

I don't think that FFA will ever be able to approach the H2/H3 days in Halo 5, but to suggest that it can't be improved by an incredible amount by simply fixing the f'n map weapons and power ups (ie. remove them) doesnt make sense.  It could be much more fun and competitively viable even if its not quite as good as it has been in the past.

You mean due to the pistols range? The pistol is fine range wise on most maps...so long as there aren't any rifles to contend with.

Edit: oh i see, you mean how quickly people can come clean up a gun fight off spawn.

If the games sandbox was a properly designed, utility based one with niche weaponry, we wouldn't need to strip everything away from the map. Halo 5's "everything's an upgrade" bullshit is the reason magnum only is the only way to properly balance FFA. I agree with no power weapons/ups, but it's just sad that's how far we have go just to make the gamemode even remotely playable.

You are not very smart are you ?. FFA with powerup and power weapons would still be unbalanced even in your precious CE.

FFA is about gun skill, smarts and some luck in the spawns not about if you spawned close to a power weapon or rifle.

You mean due to the pistols range? The pistol is fine range wise on most maps...so long as there aren't any rifles to contend with.

Edit: oh i see, you mean how quickly people can come clean up a gun fight off spawn.

The pistol's kill time is pretty long. Pws help the player spacing issues.

The pistol's kill time is pretty long. Pws help the player spacing issues.

It seems to me pws make the spacing issues worse. Especially since whether or not you get one is a crap shoot.

• Upvote (+1) 2