RyanW

Cancelled Mega Bloks Halo Game

That looks crazy polished. I'm not huge on most of the LEGO games, but this actually looks pretty fun. Too bad it got cancelled.

THE FUCKING MEGA BLOKS SPINOFF HAS BLACK UNDERSUITS AND HALO 5 DOESN'T

what universe do we live in 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Looks pretty polished for a prototype, but it was also a vertical slice (which tend to be pretty polished).

Kinda wish this project got off the ground, it looked quite fun. Kinda concerned about how aiming would work (lots of shooting stuff off screen), the weak sound effects, and the odd-looking vehicle handling, but I'm sure those would have been sorted out had it entered full production.

Shame, this looked like a pretty unique take on the series that probably would have expanded Halo's audience. Oh well :/

I think the idea of megabloks having a game would just make people think it's a Lego game rip off, which is sad because I love the Lego game and I would've bought this if it turned out to be good.

THE FUCKING MEGA BLOKS SPINOFF HAS BLACK UNDERSUITS AND HALO 5 DOESN'T

what universe do we live in 

Before I clicked this thread I thought to myself "wouldn't it be astounding if this is somehow more classic and competitive than the actual franchise?"

But that's pretty funny too.

Anyways...I guess I just don't really get what demographic this game is supposed to appeal to.  Halo isn't popular with the kids is it?  And most adults would probably just pass on it.

Something that appeals to a young audience would be a smart move if done well. Halo could really use something like this. And if Lego wouldnt make a Halo game because of the "family friendly branding" and the fact Halo is mature and has guns, then megablocks works for me.

I think this idea makes a ton of sense and only someone at 343 would be dumb enough to think that a game like this would "alienate" their core audience. I don't think they understand how diverse their core audience really is. What matters is the quality of the product.

Also, is that a Spartan Charge I see in the video? Interesting...

I wish 343 would make more spin-offs instead of shitting up the main series games. Some ideas.

A cooperative stealth action game based on the Headhunters short story.

An actually competent Battlefield rip-off (Warzone) that isn't constrained by pretending to play like core Halo.

The Halo MOBA they wish they made.

A Halo RTS with actual depth.

A long-term, focused platform for core Halo multiplayer that doesn't get rebuilt every 3 years into something totally different (PC).

Halo RPG (plenty of ways to milk PvE grinds for money too, 343).

• Upvote (+1) 5

This actually seems like something they should have done. It probably would have strengthened the brand amongst younger gamers... gamers who would have been ready for the main course by the time H5 rolled around.

It crazy that this vertical slice manages to capture the essence of the franchise in a way that i haven't seen since reach, despite being a completely different genre for a different audience.

i wish microsoft could somehow use minecraft to draw people to halo

get the next generation of fans

I would have played it if only for a better Firefight mode than Halo 5.

Also because double jumps are hype.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I want some more spinoff titles like ODST's. Games that don't focus necessarily focus on Spartans.

I wanna see some Insurrection stuff. Hilarious that Spartans exist because of the Insurrection but its never been seen in game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I want spinoffs so the actual main games can be good again. Let 343 put their garbage "innovations" in other games so the big releases can focus around actual gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just would've been the next step in making Halo more and more kid-friendly... Glad they cancelled this.

Aside from the unfortunate lack of blood in Halo 5, how has the series become more kid-friendly?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Aside from the unfortunate lack of blood in Halo 5, how has the series become more kid-friendly?

There was the whole Bonnie Ross saying that Spartans look how they are because it translates easier to toys. 

In a nutshell, it's become a lot less "military" in feel over the years and now feels a lot more "Saturday morning cartoon" and "superhero" more than anything.

And the second that Elites started talking English in H2, it took away from their intimidating quality from CE, IMO... What I'm trying to say here though, is that this transformation hasn't occurred overnight. It has slowly been happening since some of the design choices and additions to the Halo universe since H2.

And now we're fighting robots lol...

• Upvote (+1) 1

In a nutshell, it's become a lot less "military" in feel over the years and now feels a lot more "Saturday morning cartoon" and "superhero" more than anything.

And the second that Elites started talking English in H2, it took away from their intimidating quality from CE, IMO... What I'm trying to say here though, is that this transformation hasn't occurred overnight. It has slowly been happening since some of the design choices and additions to the Halo universe since H2.

And now we're fighting robots lol...

To be fair, we did go back to Elites not speaking English in Halo 4 and it was quickly changed back due to complaints for Halo 5.