Sign in to follow this  
FireAtWill

Halo - the best of 2016

Would love to hear about your favorites from 2016. Best vod, game, player, team and of course memes. Let this thread be all about the positive memories from 2016!

For me it was Beyond No Radar Invitational. The community cares and this was the ultimate proof of that. Then I must say it was fun to watch Optic (CLG) get some resistance at last and that Pistola, The Wizard, is back in full power.

And of course I hope everyone will have an awesome 2017!

8o53yo9.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some of my favourite memories of Halo in 2016:

- Worlds. This was the event that got my back into Halo (I took a two-year gap from playing and watching competitive Halo because of my previous abusive addiction with Destiny). 

- Witnessing Frosty rise to some sort of Halo celestial entity. The kid is a freak. Seeing some of the plays he pulls off makes me question everything I know about Halo.

- On that note... The return of Pistola. I could not be happier to see this man back at the top - where he no doubt belongs. He went from not making it to Worlds to becoming a top 5 (arguably top 3) player in Halo 5.

- Seeing Infused place 2nd on Lan with Batchford shouting every time he got a kill.

- Listening to the HCS podcast with Rayne and Penguin. I think I learned a lot about some of the deeper nuances of competitive Halo from that.

- Team skins being introduced (a step in the right direction, for sure). 

- Watching the Halo casters, both NA and EU, improve almost every stream. 

Also when Che left...  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Beach LAN 5

Despite this game being over a decade old, it's somehow grown this past year in terms of viewers, players, LANs, prize money and exposure. Nothing huge, but awesome for such and old game.

Oh yeah on top of that we now play halo CE on a dedicated server, and have like 9 new maps available to play that are a lot of fun.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Beach LAN 5

Despite this game being over a decade old, it's somehow grown this past year in terms of viewers, players, LANs, prize money and exposure. Nothing huge, but awesome for such and old game.

Oh yeah on top of that we now play halo CE on a dedicated server, and have like 9 new maps available to play that are a lot of fun.

I second this

Beach LAN killed it.

Too bad it didn't get enough attention ;_;

• Upvote (+1) 4

I didn't watch much competitive Halo this year, however....when Halo's Twitch stream had...hmmm., what was it? Like  35,000 or  40,000 viewers for the Grand Finals at the big event recently? Where we were the biggest stream on Twitch for a short while. That was AWESOME.

I guess I just enjoyed seeing Halo's rise back to popularity SLOWLY happening. Still much work to do, but as we can see its happening. Through many frustrating matches online this year, I found much enjoyment just kicking it with friends and screwing around in the updated Forge. 

Still really need to learn to not take the game so seriously when I perform bad. Having a good time and enjoying Halo is priority over having a high K/D every single game. Its not like I am going pro, and I don't plan to. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Seeing my boy @@Batchford realize the dream was pretty damn incredible. Playing MCC with him and talking about him going for it, and then several months later seeing it happen. I'm so thrilled for the guy and it was really cool to see a friend ascend like that.

Beach LAN, for sure. What an awesome time. It was especially special to me because I took a big gamble to take a shot at something I've never done before, and had no idea how I'd do at it. Casting BL5 was an absolute thrill, and the reaction to it was so encouraging. That was definitely one of the highlights of my year.

Moving to Kansas and getting that dank ass internet again has been pretty cool too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sadly, I have to say that I'm thoroughly disgusted with some of the ways 343 has approached the sustain/management of Halo as a whole. Halo 5: Guardians is my favorite Halo multiplayer game, and yet I have more complaints about this title than any installment that preceded it. Ironically, the things that bother me the most aren't really in line with the rest of the community's demands, so I'm stuck in this weird Halo purgatory. Nonetheless...

I really enjoyed Halo eSports in 2016.

X Games, NA Regionals, and Worlds were some of the most exciting events that I've ever watched, and Fall 2016 Finals was also fantastic in terms of production, gameplay and viewership. It felt like a culmination of what we've been working towards for all these years and I think we finally have enough forward momentum to start growing.

Lethul literally saved Halo twice via EG -> CLG and CLG -> OpTic so obviously that was hype, and we had a bountiful amount of storylines (and memes) ranging from the Naded HWC hype train to the EG-E6 Relegation war of Fall Season.

And most importantly, I was super happy I got the chance to commentate a Halo broadcast for the first time this year, and that has been an awesome learning experience that I got to share with my co-caster @@Clicked and the rest of the Beyond staff. I hope I get the chance to cast more Beyond/Halo events in the future, but only time will tell.

Happy New Year, everyone. Love all of you.

Even @@Cooper.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I didn't really watch any comp Halo this year, my interest in pro players and down when radar an autos are in the comp playlist/pro circuit. Also sprint is still in Halo.

I did enjoy watching a bit of Beach LAN, and I loved the no radar invitational by Team Beyond. Evolved settings were also great to see happen.

• Upvote (+1) 2