Sign in to follow this  
MultiLockOn

How would you implement microtransactions in Halo?

So here I am a few beers deep, doing my bi-weekly routine of going through all of Ultimate Halo and Greenskull's YouTube videos and downvoting them. And I keep hearing the premium announcers 343 just added to Halo 5 that these chumps spent money on. So I thought to myself, how would I better do microtransactions?

I'd bring back the Halo 3 file share where you could upload screenshots and clips for everyone to see (why the fuck was this removed) and give everyone 6 slots by default. With the option to pay $5 and expand it to 25 or 50 or whatever the fuck you want for a year. Just like Bungie did with Bungie pro.

Also, let people rent their own servers monthly like they do in Battlefield. They can name it, set up a string of maps to autoplay, all that jazz.

Throw out some ideas. I'm sure you guys can think of a few

• Upvote (+1) 2

Simple: sell single cosmetic items for $1 or whatever. Make it so people KNOW what they are getting.

Add new items regularly. Let the community design and sell stuff and take a cut like the apple store does.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I wouldn't implement them.

But if I had to...

-Let people buy REQ packs containing specific kinds of things (armor packs, skin packs, voice packs, etc) for in-game credits.

-Let people buy specific items for a large amount of credits or a small amount of real life money.

-Armor and Weapon Skins should actually fit the art style of the game.

You want that Mark V?  You can grind credits and buy it outright, you can spend $3 on it, or you can buy an armor pack for a chance at getting it while saving tons of credits in the process.

The pure lottery system that we have now exists only to fuck customers over.  It's designed to keep you buying tons of packs in the hope you just maybe get what you want.  And it doesn't even work properly since you'll just get common-quality skins anyways unless you've already grinded several packs.

Also maybe have special edition controllers and such that come with a code for unlocking certain skins.  These skins wouldn't be exclusive, but you would have them faster than anyone else, and they'd cost more in-game than typical skins do.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd like to see a nice blend of progression-based cosmetics and RNG/microtransaction cosmetics. Something like this.

• Armor Sets/Pieces are earned through leveling up with XP (Reach SR 5, Unlock the Athlon Set. Finish the Perfect Kill Commendation, unlock a cool Magnum skin, etc.)
  • Weapon and Armor Skins are obtained through packs or can be purchased individually for $
  • An additional economy for rewards specifically tied to CSR (see Overwatch. Earn points through Wins and final season placings, purchase exclusive skins with points)

This system creates value to items. Seeing a certain amor's silhouette lets you know that the player earned it through a commendation or reaching a certain SR rank, but then additional cosmetic flair such as skins/assassinations are obtained with $ or distributed through RNG packs.

Obviously avoiding in-game/gameplay altering items in microtransactions would be ideal, but I'm honestly pretty satisfied with how the Warzone economy turned out. I think a lot of things need to be re-evaluated in terms of strength/cost/balance and their roles in REQ packs but I do think they did a lot of things right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cosmetic changes that other players can't see. If other players can see them, you're fucking with the mythology, icons and face of Halo and you should be executed on the spot.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd say just got the CS/Overwatch route and have people pay for cosmetics and keys and crap. Give people a way to buy exactly what they want directly with money and to also have a chance to unlock stuff randomly.

Apparently 15 year old kids are obsessed with unlocking cool knives in CS with daddies credit card, so I say, why not take advantage of that?

Neither system gives players an in game advantage and they're obviously doing quite well so just copy what they're doing and call it a day.

So here I am a few beers deep, doing my bi-weekly routine of going through all of Ultimate Halo and Greenskull's YouTube videos and downvoting them. And I keep hearing the premium announcers 343 just added to Halo 5 that these chumps spent money on. So I thought to myself, how would I better do microtransactions?

I'd bring back the Halo 3 file share where you could upload screenshots and clips for everyone to see (why the fuck was this removed) and give everyone 6 slots by default. With the option to pay $5 and expand it to 25 or 50 or whatever the fuck you want for a year. Just like Bungie did with Bungie pro.

Also, let people rent their own servers monthly like they do in Battlefield. They can name it, set up a string of maps to autoplay, all that jazz.

Step 1: Start with a good Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

1) Only cosmetics and absolutely no in-game advantages.

2) Focus on getting the game right first. It sickens me when I see games designed around microtransactions like H5's warzone or CoD BO3/AW with the supply drops.

3) I would set it up like this: Players can...

• Buy crates to randomly unlock cosmetics with currency gained in-game
  • Buy the cosmetics they want directly with currency gained in-game (to avoid the situation H5's garbage-ass REQ system for armor unlocks creates)
  • Do both of the above with real cash (either buy in-game currency like some racing games do or buy the item directly)

Take Reaches armoury system

Apply specific challenges to each set of armour, make them fairly challenging and actually make it so you earn it through the challege, this gets you it before you hit the rank. IF you complete the challenge to unlock it, you get also get a special icon by your GT in a lobby (like in Reach when displaying your favourite Halo) when you where that armour (say a gold star or whatever)

Or you can grind out the rank and credits to buy it, doing so gets you a silver star by your name

Or you can give money to 343 and Microsoft, this earns you a bronze star by your Gt

Completing the challenge any time after grinding or buying will switch it to a gold star.

The system isn't as grindy as Reach though

First off they need to redesign warzone into something that isn't both incredibly boring and horribly balanced.

And yes, balance is important for all levels of players. A gametype that is literally designed around the concept of snowballing is no fun for anyone because a disproportionately high amount of games get out of hand.

I've always loved the idea of campaign invasions like dark souls does(dying light did it as well). Have human controlled bad guys/bosses in campaign. Then there could be a whole new category of unlockables as people try to deck out their baddies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

$10 - Reduce the aim assist for all players in the game, permanently.

$10 - Increase damage for precision starting weapon for all players in the game, permanently.

$10 - Increase strafe responsiveness for all players in the game, permanently.

$10 - Fix the ridiculous headshot hitboxes for all players in the game, permanently.

$50 - Receive an actual working recreation of Halo CE online, not the bastardized MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How about WWE victory screen taunt animation packs?

You mean like crackin' open a couple of Steveweisers and giving a two finger salute?

For all of those people saying companies shouldn't introduce micro transactions of any kind or it should only be utilizing in game currency I am going to leave this video here: (jump to the 4 minute mark for the discussion.)

Simple, make it single purchase non random, purchases, that have no impact on gameplay, i.e cosmetic items, weapon skins, emblems, armour pieces, stances, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If i was a dev and wanted to make the most money while not destroying the game

1. Return h3's fileshare. What better way to sell skins and shit by seeing them in real cool pictures or videos? Under 5s vids can be played while in hame lobby.

2.players can design their own skins. Though only you can see them. Popular skins can be turned into official skins and the designer can get 10%.

3. Officialy skins can be seen by others in game. Offer halo1-4 skins on weapons plus org skins plys any other skin that will sell

4. Sell sound paks? Want your pistol to sound like halo1? 1$. Want your br to sound like a h2 br? 1$. Want footsteps to not make big ******** noises? 1$. Though only affects you.

5. Want to not match parties in single q? 5$. Im evil. Though if lots of ppl have this youll get the vacine affect. Since if one guy has it, 7 others single q have to be matched with him.

6. Show ping to server? 1$. Show locations of players so you can complain or make friends? 1$. Show advanced carnage report? 1$

God damn it halo is lacking so many features that other games have (for free)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know everyone here hates RUL, but why hate on Ultimate Halo? 

This and DLC is so stupid. I was looking at FFXV and there's like 3 options. What's will all this season pass bullshit man just give me the full game when I buy it. Limited editions used to come with art and figures.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just assuming that Warzone has generated a ton of revenue for 343i and helped prop up the Esports scene, I'm going to assume RNG isn't going to go away. But I would at least modify the system so that it isn't so punishing to those who don't spend a ton of $ or play countless hours.

Gameplay and Cosmetic items need to be sold in completely separate packs.

Cosmetics-

1) there needs to be a suite of highly desirable customizations items (armor, skins,maybe even voices) that can ONLY be attained through commendations

2) other items should be available for direct purchase (cash/rp) or via RNG packs. Some promotional items would be cash only.

Gameplay-

1) All base level weapon variants should be available to all players without having a card in Stock. For example if i have a base level Rocket Launcher cert, i shouldn't need cards in my collection, just the appropriate req level and req energy.

2) during matches, i should be able to purchase cards that aren't in my collection using my ingame accomplishments as currency. So if I've been playing lights out, but don't have an Oni tank in my collection, I'd still have the opportunity to use one.

3) with all the above mentioned alternatives in place i think it would be "ok" to keep the RNG system available for weapon unlocks for those who want to progress in this manner. I think ALL base certs should be unlocked from the start or at least very early on.

(Note: I feel like due to nature of Warzone, a perfect balance will be difficult to attain (just like COD with its kill streaks), but it's certainly possible to allow people to have fun and feel useful without having them best a ton of time and/or $ into the game.)

Other Avenues-

1) server rentals is the obvious thing. With the positive responsive to the server browser, despite its inadequacies, i think a server rental system would be a pretty big deal.

2) an actual economy around rare and community created items