Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

Improve any Halo as much as you can in 3 changes.

I'm curious to see what everyone's priorities are/were. I'll start by doing Halo 2.

1. Static weapon and powerup spawns across the board. No more dynamic spawns.

2. Make camo harder to see.

3. Buff the shotgun and make it consistent.

Edit: Some of y'all can't count to three. YOU WONT BE ABLE TO FIX EVERYTHING. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A DIFFICULT CHOICE.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 3

1.  Keep it as non-hitscan but improve the netcode for shot registration (especially not on LAN)

2.  Buff the pistol

3.  Multi-host instead of single host

• Upvote (+1) 2

Master Chief collection

1. Put in the time to make it work correctly

2. Don't use CE PC or H2V as basis for remaking Xbox games

3. Midship, Beaver Creek and Turf for H2A.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 1:
  • Make movement feel more fluent by removing jump delay, 180 glitch, and grenade/crouch glitch (referring to the glitch that prevents you from uncrouching for a second after throwing a grenade and crouching at the same time).
  • Somehow make the needler useful so it can have a purpose in the weapon sandbox.
  • Put both teams score on the HUD. It's frustrating from a spectator's perspective to try to keep track of the score of the game because you have to wait until a player presses the back button to check the score board. 

3 honorable mentions for Halo 1:

• Keep using Halo 1's original spawn system for FFA, 1v1, and 2v2 but use a different spawn system for team games outside of 2v2. This would preserve the depth that the 2v2 format has while also making 4v4 a viable alternative format for competitive play. Also not to mention that it would help keep casual player retention because they're typically not interested in playing in a 2v2 format.
  • Allow for more than four Xboxes to be able to system link together. This would help players that want to play bigger games than 2v2 through XLink Kai but don't have any local friends to play split-screen with.
  • Allow players to be able join in the middle of a custom game but also allow players to be able to set a player limit. This would help players that play through XLink Kai.

Halo 2:

• Swap Halo 2's BR and sniper with Halo 1's pistol and sniper.
  • “Static weapon and powerup spawns across the board. No more dynamic spawns”. Preferably quick timers for power-ups and power weapons but they should vary depending on the map and game type being played.
  • Replace Halo 2's grenade mechanics/physics with Halo 1's grenade mechanics/physics so players can do grenade tricks and grenade jumps. This also means that I want power-ups and weapons to be affected by grenade and rocket explosions just like in Halo 1.

3 honorable mentions for Halo 2:

• Get rid of regenerating health and put health packs on the map.
  • Replace Halo 2's melee mechanics/physics with Halo 1's melee mechanics/physics.
  • Replace Halo 2's map design with map design akin to Halo 1, Halo 1.5, or Arena FPS games like Quake and UT.

I personally feel like these 3 changes or six changes to Halo 2 (if you also want to count my 3 honorable mentions) could also be applied to any Halo game post Halo 2 and they would most likely improve the game by tenfold.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo C.E.A.
Add multiplayer
Implement modern net code
Bring in features from Halo 1 Final

Halo 2
Fix net code
Extend range of BR
can't think of anything else. Jump is a little floaty.

Halo 3
Don't care, game is trash, no motive to fix or play

Halo 4

Halo Reach:
Remove bloom
Remove sprint
Add good maps

MCC
Lost cause, FUBAR
Lost cause, FUBAR
Lost cause, FUBAR

Halo 5 (I had to cheat with this one, it would still be way too broken with only 3)
Remove sprint and all spartan abilities and fix aiming.
Replace Warzone with proper Bigteam
Make reqs purely cosmetic with skins and armors only and fix solo queing in MM and remove radar and fix forge framerate

• Upvote (+1) 8

^lol got a good laugh from that

but the limit is to force difficult choices to see what matters to you most.

Halo 3

• Introduce a spray pattern to the Battlerifle instead of a random spread, so players can learn it and add a skill level towards it
  • Remove power drain 
  • Increase strafe acceleration

Halo Reach

• Replace bloom with spray pattern as mentioned in halo 3's fix
  • Players don't spawn with armor abilities, it is now a pick up 
  • Armour lock and sprint are removed from MM

Halo 2

• Can't think of anything, game is brill for me

Halo 4

• Remove boltshot from loadouts 
  • Only allow DMR, AR, Pistol, BR in loadouts (light rifle, storm rifle and suppresor are way too powerful)
  • Remove armor mods and players can allow spawn with the default frag grenades

Halo CE

• Game is brill, can't really think of anything, other than adding things from H1 final

Halo 5

• Remove splinter grenades from all maps
  • Remove spartan charge and then include a delay from melee after melee to prevent the infamous DOUBLE MELEE from happening
  • Decrease aim assist and bullet magnetism

The reason I didn't say to Halo 4 and Halo 5 to remove sprint from MM is because that the maps and weapon sandbox have been changed because of it.

The reason I have left loadouts in halo 4 is because loadouts WERE halo 4.

It's the only that stands out, so I gotta give it a chance, and my fix should make them more playable

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5

1. Remove Spartan Gimmicks™.

2. Non-redundant (i.e. not 4+ of every fucking kind of weapon that all do the same thing) weapon sandbox balanced around an ideal relationship between skill requirement and perfect kill times.

3. Warzone and its related systems cut early in development.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm curious to see what everyone's priorities are/were. I'll start by doing Halo 2.

1. Static weapon and powerup spawns across the board. No more dynamic spawns.

2. Make camo harder to see.

3. Buff the shotgun and make it consistent.

Static weapons make that game 10x better in my eyes. Single biggest improvement you could make to a halo game IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 2

• Tone down aim assist across the board
  • Static weapon spawns
  • Allow BXRing without a full clip

Excuse me but have you heard of the RRBX?

It's the hardest halo 2 button glitch to pull off, it allows you to midclip BXR, without the XSV

• Upvote (+1) 4

<p>

CE

• Increase the hardware capabilities of the Xbox
  • Fix the jump delay
  • Fix the 180 glitch
H2
  • Aim assist reduction
  • TSK BR
  • Static timers
H3
  • Fix the goddamn BR (and bloodshots) and make it a TSK
  • Fix the aiming
  • Wider FOV
Reach
  • TSK DMR (you're sensing a theme here)
  • Get rid of sprint
  • Diversify the Forge palette so forgers can create non-shit maps
H4
  • Throw it
  • Off a cliff
  • Into a volcano
H5
  • TSK main weapon (don't GAF what it is)
  • Kill every Spartan ability
  • Fix the fucking aim system for REAL
Why is a 3 shot kill so important?

Isn't the only concern for a starting utility weapon the potential time to kill and the average time to kill, no matter the shots it takes? I love the 3 shot H1 pistol, but it was balanced by being so hard to use. But a 3 shot Halo 2 BR? You would have to make significant magnetism and aim assist changes for that to work.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why is a 3 shot kill so important?

Isn't the only concern for a starting utility weapon the potential time to kill and the average time to kill, no matter the shots it takes? I love the 3 shot H1 pistol, but it was balanced by being so hard to use. But a 3 shot Halo 2 BR? You would have to make significant magnetism and aim assist changes for that to work.

Well "aim assist reduction" was directly above TSK BR, so...

Regardless, long kill times have been a problem since 2004. 

Halo 2

Add bleed through

Projectile everything

Better maps

Halo 3

No spread

Increase strength of every weapon

Perfect strafe accel

Halo 5

No abilities

Change the whole weapon sandbox

Release ghost of Harambe into 343 staff meeting

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well I mean, Halo 1 could be improved with Forge and stuff like that, but I'll only suggest what I consider to be reasonable changes to each game.

Halo 1 MCC (Since it already has online play):

• Better net code/lag compensation
  • Fix turn glitch.
  • Nerf grenades so they don't have the splash damage of a nuclear bomb.

Reasoning: The net code just plain sucks. It's like the game is trying to send a terabyte of data per second. There's no lag compensation which gives host a huge advantage. The turn glitch is absolutely awful, one of the worst bugs in the entire Halo series and the grenades are far too powerful, especially in games with more players. For example, Wizard CTF is unplayable in 4v4 due to the frag grenades.

Halo 2:

• Decrease auto aim
  • Fix shot/melee registration
  • Fix weapon spawn system to make it either static or dynamic AFTER PICKUP.

Reasoning: The auto aim is the worst in the whole series making it near impossible to miss. The missed melee and shot registration is completely unacceptable in a competitive environment. Then fix the weapon spawn system. The way the weapons spawned made the game into a camp fest. It could either be static like Halo 1 or dynamic like UT/Quake. I have nothing wrong with dynamic spawns as long as they're done correctly. If it's good enough for Quake it's good enough for Halo.

Halo 3:

• Fix input latency (shitty aiming)
  • Fix shot registration.
  • Faster movement.

Reasoning: The aiming in Halo 3 is horrendous. The shot registration is pretty shitty which is very important to fix for competitive play and then the movement... Holy shit you feel like a snail in this game. Needs to feel more responsive and base movement needs to be increased (without making the game feel like you're on ice skates.

Halo Reach:

• No amour abilities (this includes sprint)
  • No bloom
  • Better maps

Reasoning: Ugh... This is when Bungie went absolutely crazy. Obviously fuck off armour abilities ASAP, along with bloom (I can't believe many competitive players actually thought this was a good idea). The loadouts suck, but since they're tied to the game types they're not a HUGE issue. What did suck was the maps... Holy shit, some of the worst maps in a Halo game. I mean, Sword Base!? WTF were they thinking.

Halo 4 (Where do I even begin?!):

• No load outs
  • Weapon/powerup pickups
  • No sprint

Reasoning: Halo 4 is almost beyond salvageable even with these changes, but this is probably the most significant improvements you could make.

Halo 5:

• LAN support
  • No sprint
  • Input latency (aiming)

There's so many ways this game could be improved but again, I think these are the most important. No LAN has absolutely KILLED the competitive scene in Australia. The aiming is on par with how shit it was in Halo 3 and responsive controls are THE most important factor of an FPS. And then obviously sprint needs to go. I'd consider removing all the movement abilities like clamber, etc, but this would mean all the maps need to be redesigned and that's probably more than 3 choices to include those too.

EDIT - Made some changes. It honestly is really hard to pick just three that I think would have the biggest positive effect on the game.

Unless we're gonna have a single shot projectile utility, then 3SK is probably too strong. Like for H2, I would drop some aim assist as well, but I would keep the BR at 4SK anyways.

Basically my whole thing with utility weapons is if it's hitscan, it should probably be 4SK. If it's projectile AND single shot, it can be 3SK.

And if you're using a genie in a lamp on Halo 2 and you're NOT saying static timers, then you are completely wasting a wish. The weapon spawn system is BY FAR the biggest flaw in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Using CE as my base, I will talk about what I would do as a modern "true" sequel to Halo CE, technical improvements like MM or jump delay excluded, gameplay ideas only:

1: Double Jump mechanic that "replaces" the fall height negation by crouching, allowing you to avoid it by using your extra jump, and adds a mid air strafe allowing for more freedom in vertical designs without removing the ability to always be able tp shoot and move. Doom 2016 had the right idea.

2: Retain the pistol's lethality, but allow more weapons in the sandbox to shine, which could be acheived with stronger supporting sandbox, or slowing the pistols RoF to 0.9 minimum kill time.

3: every awesome addition since 2 - 5 to Halo is in this hypothetical sequel

• Upvote (+1) 2

And if you're using a genie in a lamp on Halo 2 and you're NOT saying static timers, then you are completely wasting a wish. The weapon spawn system is BY FAR the biggest flaw in the game.

You know what? I initially had this on my list and then removed it in favour of health packs, but after giving it a second thought you're right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

HCE

Remove jump delay

Maybe nerf frags a little??

And....

H2

Reduce aim assist

Beef up non-br weapons slightly

Static spawn timers

H3

Remove random spread and speed up the projectiles significantly.

Increase FoV

Increase strafe speed/accel

Reach

No bloom

No sprint

No loadouts of any kind

H4

Abort in pre production

H5

Reduce assist/bullet magnetism across the board

Remove Spartan Charge

Restore classic respawn timings

• Upvote (+1) 2

H3

Remove random spread and speed up the projectiles significantly.

Might as well be hitscan at that point. If anything I'd slow down the projectiles

Well "aim assist reduction" was directly above TSK BR, so...

Regardless, long kill times have been a problem since 2004.

Oops, I guess I didn't see that.

But anyways, isn't the average time to kill for the H1 pistol longer than the average time to kill of other Halos? I don't think there is much of a difference between average kill times and titles except long range battles in H3.

Close range to medium, H1 pistol and H2/H3(MLG) BR seem to have almost identical average kill times, right?

Might as well be hitscan at that point. If anything I'd slow down the projectiles

Slow them down?? No way. The hit detection in that game was atrocious, random spread or no, im not going to make it worse.

Halo 3 is barely above Reach for me for basically that reason plus the 12 degree FoV.

For Halo 3:

Good shot registration (I can live with spread as long as my shots count)

Wider FOV

Stronger rest of the weapon sandbox