Devilman

Halo 1: Neutral Host Edition

Does 343/MS even know this exists? Great work, if this was easily available with online abilities, I really think it would have a large following.

@@Deez

NHE? Or the training modes? They have to know about NHE 100% but I'm almost just as sure they have no idea about the training mode

NHE? Or the training modes? They have to know about NHE 100% but I'm almost just as sure they have no idea about the training mode

I guess all of it. Why they wouldn't want to support something like this is beyond me. There is no doubt in my mind there is a big market for this if it were properly marketed/supported. 

I guess all of it. Why they wouldn't want to support something like this is beyond me. There is no doubt in my mind there is a big market for this if it were properly marketed/supported.

The only thing we need from them in terms of support is the source code for the game so we can finally move it off dying hardware and bring the netcode into the 21st century.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Devilman is a fucking god.

Thanks but it was Insidious and Mintograde who were godlike.  Below is the NHE timelime copied over from halo1final.com/nhe which details who did what.

Dec 2016
Beta V6 is released. Shortly after Insidious discovers a way to toggle different NHE modes piggy backing off of the vehicle selection menu options. He also figures out how to create a training mode that includes spawn markers, random zones, powerup announcements, and powerup waypoints. Mintograde reverse engineers the Halo executable to confirm the spawn influence distance in game (which is used to display the random zones in training mode).

Jan 2017
Mintograde reverse engineers Halo to break the 13 map limit and increases it to 20 maps. Insidious implements a pre-game countdown at the beginning of each game which nullifies the unfair advantage created by the varying render speeds of different Xboxes. He also further optimizes the hud timer script and redoes the lighting on Imminent. DDS creates a newer version of Decidia and Dsalimander redoes the lighting on Downrush and Exhibit. Stuntman releases Atlas.

Feb 2017
Beta V7 is released.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

It's still mindblowing to me where Halo CE is today. I made an off hand comment in stunt man's discord about next Beach LAN I would try to match up some of the xbox's by their render speed visually. I didn't really think much of my comment and it couldn't have been more than a week later did Insidious find a way to eliminate the need for that.

I feel like each step to make this game better is a HUGE improvement. Never thought they'd break the 13 map limit or add a training mode. It's insane.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I really hope there's another community LAN going on at HWC next month and I can get in on some more H1 LAN action. My last experience of NHE at the OC event in October was pretty much perfect and I'm dying to give it another go.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really hope there's another community LAN going on at HWC next month and I can get in on some more H1 LAN action. My last experience of NHE at the OC event in October was pretty much perfect and I'm dying to give it another go.

I think a large part of that was cause of Cody Dragon and weedmaps. Hit him up on twitter and see if he has any plans

I think a large part of that was cause of Cody Dragon and weedmaps. Hit him up on twitter and see if he has any plans

It was, and I already did, but he hasn't responded yet. I'll maybe tweet him again a bit closer to the event. In the meantime I'll remain hopeful because the gaming-house-for-a-weekend idea was fantastic and it'd be great to see it happen again.

What was the reasoning behind bringing back Blood Gulch and Boarding Action? Just curious. I didn't think anyone would actually want to play on those maps.

The plan was to NHEify all of the maps, original and new.  And we thought it was possible until this new 20 map limit was discovered.  But honestly it was a mad rush to get all of the maps done and tested before the big VA and Ohio lans so those 20 maps are simply the ones that got done in time.  It remains to be seen if this new 20 map limit can be broken, so who knows what maps will be included in the final release.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My friends in Ohio are very excited to LAN this when I come home on leave. Seriously, I can't thank you guys enough for the work you're doing here.

Edit: Just noticed the "Donate" tab at www.halo1final.com and sent you guys a little something. Hopefully someone else sees this and follows suit. You guys deserve something for your work.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What was the reasoning behind bringing back Blood Gulch and Boarding Action? Just curious. I didn't think anyone would actually want to play on those maps.

I did play on boarding action last lan. we played 4v4 camo snipes on boarding action for like 8mins. got like 6-7 score lol. then played reg snipes.

we only played camo snipes cuz i accidentally selected it

I did play on boarding action last lan. we played 4v4 camo snipes on boarding action for like 8mins. got like 6-7 score lol. then played reg snipes.

we only played camo snipes cuz i accidentally selected it

lol I actually do like Boarding Action specifically just for playing snipers, but it's definitely a terrible map for the standard format, which is why I was surprised to see it included.

Another question. Since the campaign level selection seems to indicate that more maps like Prisoner Bots will be there in the future, has anyone figured out how to make it so that any newly created profile has instant access to all 10 campaign missions? This isn't important, but it would be neat in the future when more of those levels are out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol I actually do like Boarding Action specifically just for playing snipers, but it's definitely a terrible map for the standard format, which is why I was surprised to see it included.

Another question. Since the campaign level selection seems to indicate that more maps like Prisoner Bots will be there in the future, has anyone figured out how to make it so that any newly created profile has instant access to all 10 campaign missions? This isn't important, but it would be neat in the future when more of those levels are out.

I'm not so sure any other bot levels are going to be released.  That would be solely up to DDS.  Bots can't teleport or use ladders so they're very restricted as to what maps they work on. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Devilman, is there an option for a 100 kill limit in Team Slayer? 4v4 TS would be so much better if it was played to 100. If not, is it possible to add it in?

@@Devilman, is there an option for a 100 kill limit in Team Slayer? 4v4 TS would be so much better if it was played to 100. If not, is it possible to add it in?

it's already there... or at least it should be.

There's also 7s respawn for slayer and obj when 10 is just too much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There was a separate download on the website that added a whole set of compatible gametypes (including a 100 kill TS) back when the v6 beta was up. I was going to link it, but I don't see it up there anymore. It should be added to the download page.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone ever consider removing the sound a needler makes when it fires? The thing might actually be usable if you sneak up on someone if you didn't give yourself away immediately.

The only thing we need from them in terms of support is the source code for the game so we can finally move it off dying hardware and bring the netcode into the 21st century.

I wonder what the chances of this actually happening are...

id did it for Quake 3, and that engine was their bread and butter for a long time. This game is 16 years old, what could it possibly hurt to open source it?

I wonder what the chances of this actually happening are...

id did it for Quake 3, and that engine was their bread and butter for a long time. This game is 16 years old, what could it possibly hurt to open source it?

MCC. They stand to gain nothing if they gave the source code away

I haven't heard any response from 343 other than they've received our proposal. I know it's not so simple as one man's decision, but I have no idea as to who and which teams make these decisions and if anyone from 343 is reminding them of the proposal. I usually reach out about every month to see if theres an update but no luck.

We hope for 343's support and it would be great to know if we even have a chance of having them sponsor the BL let alone release the source code. With Josh Holmes gone I believe I lost any significant foot in the door in terms of having support or getting significant answers.