Devilman

Halo 1: Neutral Host Edition

Figured this is appropriate here.

You fucking rock dude. Excellent as always. Thanks for making it.

Hope you can make it out to Beach Lan this year. I've been diggin' your Youtube stuff for a long time and it'd be cool to meet you. Not to mention having another guy around that actually likes playing the new maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can I not just do it with flash drive?

Yes you can, however you'll need to buy the following:

USB dongle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F52LQHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Compatible flash drive:

https://www.amazon.com/SANDISK-CRUZER-MICRO-JUMP-DRIVE/dp/B000NWVAFO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The flash drive I linked is the largest compatible flash drive that can be used with the xbox.  There's a list of other compatible drives out there, but this one is guaranteed to work and is the only 4gb one that I know of that is still readily available.

Once you have these you'll need to format it with the stock MS dash and then connect it to your computer and use a program called Xplorer360 to load files on to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes you can, however you'll need to buy the following:

USB dongle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F52LQHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Compatible flash drive:

https://www.amazon.com/SANDISK-CRUZER-MICRO-JUMP-DRIVE/dp/B000NWVAFO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The flash drive I linked is the largest compatible flash drive that can be used with the xbox.  There's a list of other compatible drives out there, but this one is guaranteed to work and is the only 4gb one that I know of that is still readily available.

Once you have these you'll need to format it with the stock MS dash and then connect it to your computer and use a program called Xplorer360 to load files on to it.

Cool. I already got the dongle so I could do the soft mod. Now I just have to hope I have a compatible flash drive laying around. I have several, one of them is bound to work.

The soon to be released Beta V7 is going to be streamed all this weekend starting now.  This version includes an all new training mode.  Check it out at twitch.tv/vabeachlan.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The soon to be released Beta V7 is going to be streamed all this weekend starting now.  This version includes an all new training mode.  Check it out at twitch.tv/vabeachlan.

What are the changes in v7? Is there a change log online?

@@Alexander There will be different NHE settings to toggle through when creating a gametype.  This includes NHE & TIMER (the NHE default), TIMER ONLY, NHE & POWERUPS, TRAINING, and VANILLA (everything turned off).  Also, there will be 20 maps in this release as Mintograde was able to break the 13 map limit (that means no switching between games using the demo button like on Halo 1.5!!).  Lastly, the hud timer script was optimized and there were some minor fixes on some of the new maps.

That being said, there were some errors that were discovered this past weekend which we are trying to correct before it is released.  I will provide an update when it is uploaded.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Could anyone link what is needed in order to play NHE? I have always been afraid to purchase a modded xbox for fear that it is going to be the wrong one/kind. 

A good place to obtain the optimal type of tube TV would be great as well. 

@@ThreeShotPistol I forgot to add that.  I really like that nobody gets a head start at the beginning.  Plus you get a few extra seconds to be ready to play.  I don't think I had to restart a game once this past weekend.

@@NAK Check out halo1final.com/nhe for all of the requirements.  The specific equipment I use is below:

CAT6 Unmanaged Switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PC1FYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CAT6 Patch Cables (Get 3 of these that are all the same length):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JFN4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Regarding TVs, I have found most people play on 20" televisions as they are easier to screen watch on and pick up and move around.  Most flat screen tvs with component inputs will do.  My personal preference for 20" tvs are the Sony KV-20FS120, Toshiba 20AF46, and the Panasonic CT-20SL15.  Make sure you stay away from any TV that has 480P or HD capabilities.  Almost all of these tvs have post-processing which aims to improve the video quality but in doing so it causes unbearable lag.  You can find these on craigslist or offer up.  Most thrift shops don't take CRT's anymore as they are too large and cheap to deal with.

This is a link to a component video adapter for the xbox:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F2JUOK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Devilman, does NHE support higher player counts?  When I lan with my buddies back home we tend to play 3's or 4's, and I'd love to have these perks for that.

@@Devilman, does NHE support higher player counts?  When I lan with my buddies back home we tend to play 3's or 4's, and I'd love to have these perks for that.

Yup it works with higher player counts. In earlier versions NHE would only engage for certain playercounts (ex: 5 players for 2v2, 9 players for 4v4, etc). I *believe* that now since we can toggle NHE modes in the gametype settings it can be forced on/off for any playercount.

If you guys haven't seen/played training mode, you're in for a real treat. There's a new map called Atlas in v7. I watched people play on it for the first time during VA LAN and they were giving randoms and nading spawns thanks to the visual spawn points and "random" geometry. It's going to be great for speeding up the development of meta in these new maps, which is certainly the main reason that other new maps haven't been played widely.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yup it works with higher player counts. In earlier versions NHE would only engage for certain playercounts (ex: 5 players for 2v2, 9 players for 4v4, etc). I *believe* that now since we can toggle NHE modes in the gametype settings it can be forced on/off for any playercount.

If you guys haven't seen/played training mode, you're in for a real treat. There's a new map called Atlas in v7. I watched people play on it for the first time during VA LAN and they were giving randoms and nading spawns thanks to the visual spawn points and "random" geometry. It's going to be great for speeding up the development of meta in these new maps, which is certainly the main reason that other new maps haven't been played widely.

Is there any video of Atlas? Would be cool to see. @@Missingno may have some gameplay?

That is incredible. Holy crap. Can you play with training mode on other maps? Thats such a perfect way to teach people how to play!

Training mode is available on all 20 maps on beta v7.  You can toggle it on in the gametype settings. :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's awesome loading up NHE and playing every map currently available aside from Boarding Action and Blood Gulch.

• Upvote (+1) 1