IGraphicI

SCUF or Elite Controller?

What is the best controller for Halo currently? I have heard elite controllers break fast and I have also heard the Pro's only use Scuf controllers because they are sponsored by SCUF. So what is the best? I plan on using it for PC games as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Elites constantly have the left bumper fall off. It's heavier, different kind of paddles, and looser sticks. Great feel though. Lunchbox and penguin are the only two pros I know that use one

Scuf is more like a traditional controller. Sticks feel a bit different but similar, and the paddles feel better. If you buy one make sure you get the EMR or you can't remap buttons.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I used to be all about that Elite when they first came out, but just recently switched back to a Scuf Infinity and it's way, way better. Scuf controllers will be a little bit more pricey though.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I have only used Scufs so cant comment on the Elites, but neither my One or Infinity have ever given me an issue. I do prefer the screw in paddles on the One over the push in ones on the Infinity though.

The paddles on the Scuf were awful for me. Immediately bought another Elite even though I'm expecting the bumper to break in a few months time.

I prefer Scuf sticks but the elites paddles. I used the Scuf over the Elite due to the feel of the sticks. The Elite sticks feel......off compared to the Scuf. Can't really put it into words. The movement with the Elite sticks felt less precise and I was having a hard time finishing kills. Scuf sticks feel like regular xbox controller sticks which is a good thing imo. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I used to be all about that Elite when they first came out, but just recently switched back to a Scuf Infinity and it's way, way better. Scuf controllers will be a little bit more pricey though.

What sticks did you choose?

Options:

XB1 Default

SCUF concave long length

SCUF concave medium length

SCUF concave regular length

SCUF domed long length

SCUF domed medium length

SCUF domed regular length

e65f50744be4c7a3c448328eed8dac6b.png

I loved my elite.... until the right bumper broke, then the left bumper, then it got slow turn to the left, and just last night started drifting up all by itself.

All of this started right after the actual warranty expired, even though microsoft support told me it was a year warranty not 3 month and i had the transcript, they wouldnt honor it.

I've been using the Elite controller a lot (1000+ hours in destiny alone, plus other games) and I have ever yet to find a problem with them. I would highly recommend it if you can find them on awesome deals( I saw them last week in Costco for $100).

I want that FB Scuf tho.... 

I got an elite around last Christmas. I've clawed for years, so I was looking to try and take my game to the next level with paddles. I gave various combinations of paddles a serious try for around 2 months, and it just wasn't for me. I had to hold the controller too lightly in order to not accidentally hit the paddles. So I went to just using the elite because I liked the overall feel, but just clawing.

I've since gone back to using a standard Xbox one controller, as the sticks on my elite are looser than any other controller I've owned, after only 9 months of heavy use. There are parts of the elite that are definitely manufactured better, but wearable parts are the same plastic junk in every other controller, so why bother.

Also, I've continued to heard too many bad stories about Scufs, so until the level of quality increases across the board I won't bother with a full custom.

I got an elite around last Christmas. I've clawed for years, so I was looking to try and take my game to the next level with paddles. I gave various combinations of paddles a serious try for around 2 months, and it just wasn't for me. I had to hold the controller too lightly in order to not accidentally hit the paddles. So I went to just using the elite because I liked the overall feel, but just clawing.

I've since gone back to using a standard Xbox one controller, as the sticks on my elite are looser than any other controller I've owned, after only 9 months of heavy use. There are parts of the elite that are definitely manufactured better, but wearable parts are the same plastic junk in every other controller, so why bother.

Also, I've continued to heard too many bad stories about Scufs, so until the level of quality increases across the board I won't bother with a full custom.

I think Scufs just use a basic Xbox controller for parts.

I think Scufs just use a basic Xbox controller for parts.

As far as I know they do (aside from the replacement parts that are obviously custom, like sticks), but the modifications they make seem to lead to issues.  The latest I've seen is the issues the streamer Vetoed, who has all but given up on his Scuf, has had.

My regular Xbox One controllers haven't gone without issues either, my white Sunset Overdrive one has slow turn even with max Outer Deadzone, and my Black Launch Day controller has unplayable aim stick drift.  I'll be giving one of the new S controllers a shot here in a few weeks, from what I've heard they are a bit better.

I like the overall feel of the Elite better. It is made with higher quality material and just feels better than a Scuf. When I first got mine I really had to get used to how sensitive the paddles were and had to change how I held the controller. As some have said the sticks do feel a little off compared to a normal controller. After I adjusted to it, I was really happy with how it both felt and functioned.

Just recently one of the paddles on it stopped clicking and I had to mash on the paddle to get it to register. It was just felt weird having to click one paddle one way and remember to mash harder on the other so I decided to get a Scuf. I had to re-learn how to use the paddles because they are so much harder to press than the Elite, but I am pretty happy with it now.

Overall, I would prefer the Elite, but the Scuf isn't a bad product at all.

I recently got a Sharq controller.  Partly due to cost (the default one is £75 with delivery in the UK) but also due to reliability issues i have heard about with the the elite and scuf.  I haven't had it long enough to speak about its reliability but it is basically a default xbox one (newer ones with mini jack inputs) controller with paddles wired into the back.  

Personally i really like the placement and feel of the paddles compared to the elite (which my brother has) but i will admit i have never tried a scuf.

Another thing to mention is that you can only get 2 paddles not 4 (which was all i wanted anyway) but otherwise it seems a solid controller that should last for ages. 

I recently got a Sharq controller.  Partly due to cost (the default one is £75 with delivery in the UK) but also due to reliability issues i have heard about with the the elite and scuf.  I haven't had it long enough to speak about its reliability but it is basically a default xbox one (newer ones with mini jack inputs) controller with paddles wired into the back.  

Personally i really like the placement and feel of the paddles compared to the elite (which my brother has) but i will admit i have never tried a scuf.

Another thing to mention is that you can only get 2 paddles not 4 (which was all i wanted anyway) but otherwise it seems a solid controller that should last for ages. 

With my elite i eventually got down to using just 1 paddle for thrust.  I was using A on the right handle for sprint too but i grip the controller like a vice with my right hand so the paddle kept getting in the way.  Both the SharQ and Scuf controllers look like they can be fully gripped without accidentily touching the paddles.

My Elite is the 3rd xbox controller that has broken however past the warranty.  I usually avoid those extended warranties like the plague, but i am never going to buy another controller again without one.

With my elite i eventually got down to using just 1 paddle for thrust.  I was using A on the right handle for sprint too but i grip the controller like a vice with my right hand so the paddle kept getting in the way.  Both the SharQ and Scuf controllers look like they can be fully gripped without accidentily touching the paddles.

My Elite is the 3rd xbox controller that has broken however past the warranty.  I usually avoid those extended warranties like the plague, but i am never going to buy another controller again without one.

The placement of the paddles on the sharq is really nice and (for me) the sit perfectly at the end of my fingers where they naturally rest so haven't had to adjust my grip much at all.  It all seems pretty solid but ill give it a few months before i really make any judgements about longevity. 

I have an Elite Controller.

Best Things:
Custom Sensitivity Curves (I use aggressive, makes halo aiming feel less slippery, especially after the latest update)

Location of the paddles is better for smaller hands (I use helljumper and mapped right paddle to ADS and it feels so much better)

Button map switch (I made my Destiny and Halo layouts the same sprint/reload and can switch on the controller)

Worst Things:
The sticks have less resistance. (Feels harder to be accurate when you can literally move the stick with 0 pressure)

The paddles are too easy to press (Takes a while to get used to not accidentally pressing them)

Bumper Durability (Left bumper broke after 8 months, can be repaired for around $5)

Heavy ( I play wired and remove the batteries because of how heavy it is)

My opinion the best possible Halo 5 controller would be a PS4 Scuf with 2 paddles, or even no paddles since its much easier to claw a PS4 controller. (smalls hands  :lxthul: )

I just bought a standard controller along with a 3 year full replacement warranty for $72 (newegg is the best).  With how often these things break on me, im pretty sure i have controllers for life now.

I can't stomach spending another $150+ for a custom controller when i'm barely an onyx.  I'll just remap RB to thrust and throw grenades with X.

What sticks did you choose?

Options:

XB1 Default

SCUF concave long length

SCUF concave medium length

SCUF concave regular length

SCUF domed long length

SCUF domed medium length

SCUF domed regular length

e65f50744be4c7a3c448328eed8dac6b.png

Ive always gone with the default sticks for all of my controllers. Theyre too good

• Upvote (+1) 2

Scuf just announced that they're going to start modifying Elite controllers. If you already own an Elite you can buy Scuf paddles and grips individually and apply them yourself.

So... Why not both?

https://scufgaming.com/s/scuf-elite

Will those fix the bumpers and slow turn and reticle drift on my elite? /s

• Upvote (+1) 1

All Xbox One controllers have a terrible tendency to have their bumpers break. Scuf, Elite, default, doesn't matter. Scuf has nice customization for sure, but I think the Elite had the best features because of the in-app customization on Xbox.

As far as overall feel go, Elite feels sturdier, heavier and sticks are more responsive than other controllers, but paddles seem too sensitive. I believe Scuf has better paddles for people with bigger hands or who tend to hold their controller tight. I think that one comes down to preference, but then again, I never had to use paddles all that much aside from testing sessions (I normally just take them off) so I can't comment on which is more durable over a long period of time.

Regardless of the purchase, just make sure to have some sort of extended warranty. Your controller WILL break. It doesn't matter how careful you are, whether it never happened to you or not; if you game a lot, it just happens. I've been told that Best Buy's extended warranty on Elite allows you to just walk in and have it replaced whenever you feel like it, and next time I get a new one, I'm doing that for sure.

Also, the newer Xb1 S came with a new controller model with improved bumpers, and if bumpers breaking is a big issue for you, and you don't need paddles, I would recommend one of those. It's the same model Microsoft uses for their Design Lab where it's possible to customize the colors (although VERY limited compared to Scuf customization)

c347245feb0011a55b832c5dc671a390.png

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just recently bought some scuf thumbsticks and put them in my elite. I had to open it to do this and now I can't replace them unless I open it again, but damn they feel much better.

Before I used the domed stick on the left and the tall concaved one on the right. I always felt like they were slightly too tall though.

Now with the short domed scuf on the left and the medium height concaved one on the right my controller feels amazing.

The scuf sticks feel great. If I were buying a new controller the elite scuf hybrid they now do would be my top choice. I don't even think the price difference is that much.

I've gone through 3 Scufs, 2 Elites, and 1 Cinch. If I had to choose between a Scuf and an Elite, I'm choosing Scuf 10/10 times.

The joysticks on the Elite, although responsive, are too responsive in my opinion. The paddles are also a lot easier to press than the Scuf, which I prefer, but the feeling of the joysticks > paddles any day of the week.

Like Vetoed said, whatever you choose WILL break on you. My first Scuf broke within a couple of weeks. When I would click in the left joystick and push up, I would crouch walk backwards. My second Scuf lasted about 8 months, it broke last week with the same issue. I sent this Scuf in to get fixed and ordered a new one, and I'm fully expecting this new one to break in the future, as well. Both Elites had LB issues, which seems to be the issue with 99% of the defective Elites.

Guys i was wondering is a default scuf (no add ons at all) significantly better than a normal XB1 controller? My bumper fell off and im just looking for one that is gonna last me.