CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

And the $7 we would make from that broadcast would buy 3 gatorades for referees. 

I'm not arguing the motivations of why it was done. Obviously financially it makes a lot more sense to run it through MLG but you would have seen bigger numbers inarguably with the same match on twitch.

Don't know about you guys but "The Halo World League presented by Playstation 4" has a nice ring to it.  

No.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm not arguing the motivations of why it was done. Obviously financially it makes a lot more sense to run it through MLG but you would have seen bigger numbers inarguably with the same match on twitch.

But do numbers matter as much as a company being able to financially justify holding these events/tournaments for the community involved? Twitch would be providing them no added benefit besides "we reached x number of viewers." 

They have the ability to host the same service with integrated stats, and capture the entirety of the ad revenue from the event in a time when ad blockers are in high usage in the first place. 

How many people have stated in the past that MLG ran Halo at a loss? This is necessary for them to be a viable business, MLG being a viable business is better for the community. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The stats thing on the MLG stream is a pretty cool idea. With social share buttons too  :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I get why people want it on Twitch but this stream is pretty damn good, and the extra bits and pieces are super cool.

• Upvote (+1) 3

But do numbers matter as much as a company being able to financially justify holding these events/tournaments for the community involved? Twitch would be providing them no added benefit besides "we reached x number of viewers." 

They have the ability to host the same service with integrated stats, and capture the entirety of the ad revenue from the event in a time when ad blockers are in high usage in the first place. 

How many people have stated in the past that MLG ran Halo at a loss? This is necessary for them to be a viable business, MLG being a viable business is better for the community. 

It's a perception thing, viability is usually a secondary concern from a community perspective.

The CoD community was furious when they were isolated to YT/MLG because their reach was smaller on MLG.tv.

The Halo community was furious when the worlds event was held in ESL studio instead of a convention centre or the like.

Growth from a community perspective doesn't look like a smaller more sustainable option, it looks like a balls-out potential loss making spectacle (see your MLG Halo example).

It's a perception thing, viability is usually a secondary concern from a community perspective.

The CoD community was furious when they were isolated to YT/MLG because their reach was smaller on MLG.tv.

The Halo community was furious when the worlds event was held in ESL studio instead of a convention centre or the like.

Growth from a community perspective doesn't look like a smaller more sustainable option, it looks like a balls-out potential loss making spectacle (see your MLG Halo example).

Didn't you say that it didn't matter what stream a Halo tournament was on then we pulled like 2k viewers with 3rd parties?

Just wondering, because I see your logic with Twitch over MLGTV but can't understand how you think Halo not being on the Halo twitch is fine.

Didn't you say that it didn't matter what stream a Halo tournament was on then we pulled like 2k viewers with 3rd parties?

Just wondering, because I see your logic with Twitch over MLGTV but can't understand how you think Halo not being on the Halo twitch is fine.

It's exactly the same thing as I've just explained. From a TO viability standpoint third parties are going to want to stream on their own channel so that they can actually make a bit of money. From a community perspective, we obviously wanted ONLY the logically most beneficial option with the biggest reach which was to be featured on the developer channel with all the trimmings. The example with third parties is a bit different though in the fact MLG is essentially owned by Activision so they're more of a resource than an investor, which is what 343 was attempting to encourage using various third parties for their events.

It is possible to sit back and see both sides of the argument. I have no dog in this fight, I only follow CoD with a passing interest. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

We might as well video tape us beating a dead horse.

I'd video tape you beating anything any day of the week. ;P

:wutface:  :wutface:  :wutface:  .... :weback:

Epsilon was up 22-3 on a Plaza Slayer.

Jesus Buks, the game has started...

They forgot they weren't on Epsilon anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so excited for boots on the ground later this year. Black Ops 2 was GREAT.

wait, wait, wait. CoD is going back to their roots?

Don't know about you guys but "The Halo World League presented by Playstation 4" has a nice ring to it.  

Accidental upvote sorry. I have no idea how I do that so often.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You don't think it'd be more with all that traffic running through twitch? It can still be a shit idea (for the community) and succeed to some degree.

With esl and 343 it would matter since they do nothing to advertise events and make sure you know details more than a week before the event. With mlg youll know when where and how to watch at the beginning of the season

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's about damn time. Hopefully 343i will follow the "going back to their roots" trend that's going on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@ is it just me or is there no viewer count? that's the onyl thing that's missing

This losers run by OpTic is insane, I think Formal is the best player in this game

OCPhWxM.png

@ is it just me or is there no viewer count? that's the onyl thing that's missing

This losers run by OpTic is insane, I think Formal is the best player in this game

It's like on the top left corner.

EDIT: Delete pls

• Upvote (+1) 1