CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hi everyone,

To speak to the question of “why Burbank?” We did have conversations with a number of different partners and explored a variety of options with regards to venues - also on the East Coast (you might remember me tweeting about location scouting the day after Fall Finals for instance). Unfortunately, none of these worked out for this year. That being said, we are actively continuing these conversations for future events.

As most of you know, the ESL campus with our broadcast studios located in Burbank is our home base (internally, we call it the campus because we’re spread across different buildings, this is just the first time we’ve used the term publicly). I am confident that those who make the trip to California will not be disappointed and will have a great time here. Our space has come a long way since we had our first Halo tournament here over 2 years ago - since then we have probably grown 4 times or so - and with this event we’re pushing for yet a better experience with more cool shit to do than at Fall Finals. We are working on a bunch of activities for the on-site audience, which is why we are calling it a festival. In addition to watching the world elite compete we want our guests to be part of a weekend full of Halo all around. Our goal is to make people feel the gravity and weight of this event and what it means to the players, fans and community

In addition, we’re working on maximizing the available space for audience seating inside the studio so that more of you will be able to witness the action first hand than during Fall Finals. To that end we’re changing up the layout, for instance by moving the FFA outside of the studio. As pointed out, there will be an outside viewing area where we’ll have the feeds and gameplay from both streams - so there will be as much action going on outside as there will be inside. In total, we are aiming for 300+ guests, in addition to the players and crew.

I also know that our production team will give everyone watching on-site and at home a great show worthy of a world championship for the entire weekend. We’ll have two streams going so that anyone can watch any match they want. Personally, I am proud of the production quality we’ve brought to the table and we are constantly pushing ourselves to be better and I am confident to say that we have been able to step it up from event to event. I have no doubt that we will be able to do this again and put on an amazing show for the World Championship!

I hope this offers some perspective on why the event is held at Burbank and gives you confidence in that you will enjoy the event. We aim to put on one hell of a show and an incredible weekend for both players and spectators alike.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you there!

great post, i can't wait to watch some world class halo, FPS doesn't get much better than that

• Upvote (+1) 4

great post, i can't wait to watch some world class halo, FPS doesn't get much better than that

You are overreacting with that positivism, stop it, will you ?

• Upvote (+1) 6

fyi HW2 is gonna have it's own world championship

YOU GUYS STOKED FOR SOME HCS HALO WARS?  :wutface:

I'm honestly curious what would happen for the first 20 minutes of the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Elamite confirmed Burbank was the backup plan, right?

I'd like to know what the original idea they had in mind was. I expected Burbank from the start and the only thing I was (heavily) disappointed at was the amount of time it took them to announce it.

Yeah, he did. Thing is, an ESL employee could have said that from the beginning. No, "the community" would not have been happy. But it'd certainly be less upset at "we didn't want this, but we're going to work with it" than "yay look at this!"

-snip-

Thank you for the explanation. Also, I hope you guys realize that this sort of admission and transparency is literally all that most here wanted- I feel like this post made 2-3 days ago would have really dampened some of the current blaze.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-snip-

We all appreciate the transparency, and sure hope we find ESL staff in here more often than not...even if its just casual memeing and screwing around. While I'm confident ESL and the production team in the studio will put on a hell of a show, I still cant help but feel this is a major step back from where we were last year, which was a major step forward from where we were before. This is a $1,000,000 tournament. More money than most of us will ever see in our lives, and a life changing amount of money. The is the largest Halo event of the year, and compared with last year as ever. Your team works year round to build up to this moment, this pinnacle event...and its being held in a place that can hold 300 guests (assuming on a flow and max capacity, so probably less seating and room available in the main hall), and the crowds have to be in separate areas of the venue in order to fit the total goal of 300. 

I genuinely hope you guys have an incredible tournament, and I'm confident the stream and production will be tier 1, but this is not "bigger and better". I hope I'm in Los Angeles for the event, because I would like nothing more than to say "fuck, was I wrong or what". 

• Upvote (+1) 3

We all appreciate the transparency, and sure hope we find ESL staff in here more often than not...even if its just casual memeing and screwing around. While I'm confident ESL and the production team in the studio will put on a hell of a show, I still cant help but feel this is a major step back from where we were last year, which was a major step forward from where we were before. This is a $1,000,000 tournament. More money than most of us will ever see in our lives, and a life changing amount of money. The is the largest Halo event of the year, and compared with last year as ever. Your team works year round to build up to this moment, this pinnacle event...and its being held in a place that can hold 300 guests (assuming max capacity, so possibly less seating and room available in the main hall), and the crowds have to be in separate areas of the venue in order to fit the total goal of 300. 

I genuinely hope you guys have an incredible tournament, and I'm confident the stream and production will be tier 1, but this is not "bigger and better". I hope I'm in Los Angeles for the event, because I would like nothing more than to say "fuck, was I wrong or what". 

:tongue:

• Upvote (+1) 8

You are overreacting with that positivism, stop it, will you ?

my bad i forgot this was a toxic forum

sorry every1

• Upvote (+1) 3

my bad i forgot this was a toxic forum

sorry every1

That's like 5 positive posts in a row, time to reactivate the cesspool

• Upvote (+1) 4

Wow ! an ounce of transparency and , though still dissapointed, suddenly I'm looking forward to the event. Funny how that works.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I might have gone a bit overboard given this was initially gonna just be a gif

Nearly spit my drink out at the slow fade from Columbus Convention Center to the "ESL Campus" 

I think the gameplay will be amazing, the production will be good, and I will overall enjoy the event. But while I appreciate the explanation, I still can't accept that Burbank is being used for HWC. This is supposed to be the biggest event of the year, and its being held in the same arena as LCQ's and pro league finals. You can hold every other tournament at this venue or similar ones, but Worlds in this game or any game is supposed to be the peak of competition. I hope you can figure it out for the future @@Timo. Thanks for the explanation.

• Upvote (+1) 4

i wish the post by @@Timo could just be released as posts on halo.gg. we need a writer who keeps us up to date on whats happening and polls asking us where we'd like to see hcs go, insights into behind the scenes decisions, and profiles to let us know who is working on this. i just want more communication without having to meme it out of someone

• Upvote (+1) 5

Do you know if Monstercat licensed songs are acceptable?

If yes, I would put together a few short videos for you guys.

Yes you can use the Monstercat playlist in produced shows legally.

• Upvote (+1) 8

snip

Thank you for this. I hope you and everyone at ESL/343/etc. know and remember that 99% of us here just want what's best for Halo.

In the future, I think it can go a long way to have a post like yours ready to go when you know you're making an announcement that folks might be underwhelmed by. The community always appreciates great communication (which is what your post is, IMO) and to be included in the conversation (even if we're still somewhat disappointed in the result). Helping us understand the "why" up front can allow us to be at least a little more empathetic rather than instantly memeing you to death (you'll get memed regardless, they just might be nicer).

Anyway we're all rooting for you and I'm really looking forward to 2017 Worlds.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 5

This forum is going full Frank and I love it.

tumblr_nkeee47VL21qikmd9o1_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like 343 was trying to imitate that good ol' "Small Roots" feel with this dingy little building.

Thing is, 2001 was sixteen years ago.

I'm pessimistic, but I will withhold any further bitching until I see the improved Burbank that Timo mentioned. Hopefully it's adequate for a good event.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Heres the one thing i want to know that we wont find out: why was this done at the last minute and not before worlds was announced. With enough time there could be a legit second option with burbank as plan C. Also if we got dreamhack and wembley, what venues did we miss out on and why

@@Timo

thanks for the response.

But just so you know, the location of the 2018 HWC (if its a thing) should be in discussion now. Literally now, to avoid disappointment  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Part of me wants to believe that ESL truly tried to get a good arena/location to hold Worlds, but 343 just would not give them the funding for it.

DO you guys think HWC18 will be a thing?

I could see it taking a year off with pre-release Halo 6 events and stuff.

I can't believe they did so much with pre-release MCC events and so little with Halo 5.

DO you guys think HWC18 will be a thing?

If a miracle happens and H3A is a real thing then yeah but if 343 is just working on Halo 6 atm then no.