CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Pretty much what I'm seeing tonight:
- If you were winning games, you liked no radar.
- If you were losing games, you didn't like no radar.

If there was a no radar playlist; and pros were playing it for awhile, they would've already adjusted to the playstyle it creates.

But because there never was; they're basing these rash decisions off such a small sample size, and that sucks.

I mean, I won the majority of my games, but I thought it was too random. And strongholds was almost impossible to play.

(Slayer was sooooo much better though).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think there are way TOO MANY power weapons on the map when compared to previous Halo games.

I think there are way to many weapons period. I used to love that even if my opponent got the first shot on me, i could turn and try to out manuver for the kill. With all the weapons it becomes best weapon wins vs best shot wins. As it is now, if you get first shot on me with a storm rifle i will not be able to out pistol you 9/10 times

The chaos of no radar Halo 5 isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many players who try to climb it fail and never try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm of radar and spartan abilities. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

uZWezPw.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

Just a question how many power weapons per map did we have before Ghosts file share and how many do we possibly have now?

this is the most confusing thing about the current feed back; the guys on optic/nv among others would benefit the most from no radar. i just thing they are attributing the randomness to no radar and not the over-abundance of power weapons. simply advocate for less power weapons (1 tier 3, 1-2 tier 2) and less rifles (as in no more than 2 rifle types on a map ie br + carbine or DMR + LR), power ups on longer timers, scrap the autos and your good to go. this isn't rocket science.

I disagree with the ASSUMPTION that the current top teams would benefit more from no radar than the other, lesser teams. They might, but I don't see any reason to assume it to be the case. It's a common misconception that performance implies ability. We've seen time and time again that circumstance seems to be more important than pure individual ability. It's how a subpar player can change teams and start going off all of a sudden. Or how a good player can change teams and drop off completely.

All we can say for sure is that, in the current H5 landscape, OG and nV are above the pack. For all we know, they're the best at using radar to their advantage. It's possible that they get worse without it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is sad. If descope wasn't in the game I wouldn't have even bought it, and I bought MCC again after I knew how broken it was.

I know for a fact pro team does all they can to improve Halo, but it's quite obvious that 343i treats you like the little kids at thanksgiving and just hands you an unplugged controller while the grownups play. Very disheartening that the automatics are untouched and radar is unchanged after a year into the game. I trust pro team, I don't trust the environment they are in or who they work with. There is a huge disconnect somewhere and I believe we all know where.

https://twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/809144371182325760

Here's another perspective.

One of the most dangerous aspects of having responsibility is not knowing what you don't know. In this situation, a good leader gets a hold of someone who is in the know.

343 doesn't have a lot of people who worked on the old Halo titles. They probably played them and enjoyed them, but they didn't know what made them tick. That's why we ended up with H4, which really only got the basic gunplay right.

So while you think it's sad that it took a Pro team to fight for descope. I think it's good that 343 recognized that they didn't understand certain aspects about Halo's gameplay loops, and acquired some talent could steer them in the right direction AND listened to them before they repeated a mistake.

What's sad to me is that these halo experts have seemingly erred in other ways and that 343 is slow to listen to good advice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's another perspective.

One of the most dangerous aspects of having responsibility is not knowing what you don't know. In this situation, a good leader gets a hold of someone who is in the know.

343 doesn't have a lot of people who worked on the old Halo titles. They probably played them and enjoyed them, but they didn't know what made them tick. That's why we ended up with H4, which really only got the basic gunplay right.

So while you think it's sad that it took a Pro team to fight for descope. I think it's good that 343 recognized that they didn't understand certain aspects about Halo's gameplay loops, and acquired some talent could steer them in the right direction AND listened to them before they repeated a mistake.

What's sad to me is that these halo experts have seemingly erred in other ways and that 343 is slow to listen to good advice.

You think that since they had to work that hard to get descope into the game that they're listened to? I feel the opposite vibe from that.

I could go on any given map in the rotation right now and as long as I delete something I'm making the map better. That's it. Go into forge without any knowledge other than remove half the shit and the map would be better doesn't matter what half you take out.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is anyone else really frustrated that Neighbor ignored the radar question?

No. He can't hardly give his full opinion without being destroyed by one side of the community or his employers what do you expect? And what if he wants radar for some reason? He'd be eviscerated in here. Not to mention people keep hinting there's more to this going on behind the scenes. I doubt any one person outside of a few know what's fully going on here.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I disagree with the ASSUMPTION that the current top teams would benefit more from no radar than the other, lesser teams. They might, but I don't see any reason to assume it to be the case. It's a common misconception that performance implies ability. We've seen time and time again that circumstance seems to be more important than pure individual ability. It's how a subpar player can change teams and start going off all of a sudden. Or how a good player can change teams and drop off completely.

All we can say for sure is that, in the current H5 landscape, OG and nV are above the pack. For all we know, they're the best at using radar to their advantage. It's possible that they get worse without it.

assumptions and educated guesses are two different things, the latter has the benefit of concrete evidence.

circumstances aren't the result of having a radar or not and you're example has nothing to do with the gameplay itself but the player fortitude.

i highly doubt pistola needs a radar to be good and i shouldn't have to explain why. hell it was a running meme that radar nerfed pistola, and you know what they say... a lot of truth is said in jest.

l8

but I have to say to be honest I haven't watched all of your previous vlogs in their entirety, usually skipping around trying to find intel, but these two videos were both so great and fun to watch. I watched the entire thing and just loved watching you guys react to the series and games and hearing your insights during some of the key moments while watching. Great stuff!

I still think a smaller radar that only shows sprint would still keeps flanks viable without it being ridiculous and chaotic. Flanks worked in Halo 2 and Halo 3 without sprint, why would limiting sprint in Halo 5 keep flanks from happening?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still think its funny that 343 made the AR the primary weapon and a pistol the secondary. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Didn't Cratos talk like MOUNTAINS of shit about Naded everybody after Worlds? I'd be shocked if they teamed again.

ftfw

What prior halo map (im thinking H1 - 3) had the most PW/PUs on the map?  The most PW's i can think of is 3, and they were on relatively larger maps (sanctuary) or harder to use period (2 snipes on Pit in addition to rockets). Those worked because the guns were harder use.  The guns in this game are so fucking easy.

I was watching some pistol comparisons in the Evolved thread and it's ridiculous how far away your reticle can be from center mass and still register a hit.  Not even red reticle. It should be the center reticle that needs to be touching the opponent, not the outer one, and there certainly shouldn't be any bullet mag if its not red reticle. 

Not having radar seems (to me anyway) to expose the other problems the game has rather than be a problem itself.

You think that since they had to work that hard to get descope into the game that they're listened to? I feel the opposite vibe from that.

I could go on any given map in the rotation right now and as long as I delete something I'm making the map better. That's it. Go into forge without any knowledge other than remove half the shit and the map would be better doesn't matter what half you take out.

If they weren't listened to, we wouldn't have descope.

I can only imagine how many conflicting views crop up in a meeting. Its naive to think pro team would meet no resistance ever. That's just not how product development works, especially when the target audience is extremely varied. But at the end of the day, the right call was made...in terms of descope.

There's no such thing as a dev team that doesn't have internal debates. Bungie debated sprint for h2 and 3, then caved with Reach. Bungie decided to get rid of the useful utility weapon when they launched 2 and implemented dual wielding. You think those decisions were unanimous?

• Upvote (+1) 3

As far as alternatives go, I don't think an ability-only radar is a good approach. Commit to either having radar or not. The reason for that is simple; let's take Jim, who's never kept up with HCS in his life. He decided he'd check out Arena for the first time. The poor dude ends up spending his entire game getting blindsided because his radar (that is CLEARLY still on the screen) doesn't give the info it should. Is there a real reason for that? Is it just bad luck? A glitch? He can't tell, but he's just upset with the game. Same for viewers at home who are watching HCS. We don't want casters to have to repeat that the radar is different like 30 times a broadcast.

It's a problem because there is no proper method of letting people know that the HCS/Arena radar doesn't behave like in other game modes, unless that change was implemented across the board via a sandbox update, that's a change that just isn't going to happen for obvious reasons. Now, if the radar is just not on the screen, then at least people know what to expect and not to count on it.

Plus, informative cues are so numerous in this game, it's not even needed. There are clear audio cues for spawning, people lining up a spartan charge, ground pound, thrust, slide, crouching, tossing grenades, and power-ups. On top of that, weapon pads can be seen when interacted with and hitmarkers are thing. Tons of free info.

Excellent points. I was in support of ability-only radar before I read this, if we had to compromise, but it seems as though it would do much more harm than good.

If they weren't listened to, we wouldn't have descope.

That is probably the single most disturbing thing I have heard about 343... Flinch... *shudders*

• Upvote (+1) 2

Played a game on pegasus 2 this morning... it's got so many weapons on it its ridiculous.  You are never in a fair fight, you either destroy the other person, or get destroyed. Maybe people like that in social, idk, but its incredibly frustrating to play that way. 

You're 100% right, even on that map if you remove 50% of the shit on it, it would play better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That is probably the single most disturbing thing I have heard about 343... Flinch... *shudders*

Didn't you hear? They made Halo 4!!

How hard would it be to have a weapon/grenade hitmarker toggle in the custom game options? I would guess it would be pretty easy. There are far larger problems with the current competitive settings, but grenade hitmarkers are a small/easy thing that would certainly help. 

How hard would it be to have a weapon/grenade hitmarker toggle in the custom game options? I would guess it would be pretty easy. There are far larger problems with the current competitive settings, but grenade hitmarkers are a small/easy thing that would certainly help. 

Eh thats not really an assumption we can make because we dont know how they coded it.  Could be per- weapon, could just show hit marker with every X points of damage universally, might be easy to build in a toggle, might not, hell it might already be there i havent checked the custom game settings for it.