CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

at the most, just nerf all the movement speed by 5-10 %. it's less "random" and it removes the "swiss cheese effect" by making certian jumps no longer feasible. win win scenario to me

• Downvote (-1) 1

I worry as well that no radar entirely is too chaotic. In a game in which you have the ability to sprint-thrust-slide-jump wherever you want on the map in less than 2 seconds, I can't imagine it.

Everyone is so used to using it as a crutch and now they feel FREEEEEEEEEEEEE so its gonna be a little wild.

One thing is for sure: Radar in its current form needs to be changed if not totally removed

• Upvote (+1) 3

No radar has been a much funner specator experience for me today. Just about every gametype is significantly better. Rig is the one question mark with no radar for me. Its a little chaotic atm, so many power weapons and so many routes around the map. Not an easy map to play without radar. It'll take some practice and new strategies to completely control Rig.

Grenade launcher is horrible imo. Its FAR to easy of an instant kill. Not a fan at all.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A month of official practice would be good, but so far nothing official is happening. 

But isn't that just the biggest problem? Either officially announce you're testing no radar or announce there won't be a change, transparency is key 343.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Everyone is so used to using it as a crutch and now they feel FREEEEEEEEEEEEE so its gonna be a little wild.

One thing is for sure: Radar in its current form needs to be changed if not totally removed

I don't think it's simply a "getting used to" thing. I think other core things in the game need changing before every gametype feels good to play. Some maps it's fine, but Empire SH for example is trash without it and I hated watching it more than I do with radar which I didn't think was possible.

part of the problem with the movement is the over abundance of power weapons creates too much people moving to too many places at once. limiting the power weapons per map reduces the "randomness".

it seems like radar is being used as a scapegoat for a more fundamental problem with the current meta. whatever happened to having 2-3 power weapons to focus on as opposed to 12?

• Upvote (+1) 7

Regarding some pros disliking no radar so far:

Pros' true and final feelings on settings can't be deduced until it's forced upon them as either official settings or official test settings. For as long as no radar is just something pros are "trying out for fun", their perception of it is skewed differently and it's easier for them to pass it off as bad and look down upon it.

Example of what I'm trying to get at: Eden Slayer and Empire Strongholds are absolute garbage gametypes that would never have been allowed in past Halo games' competitive rotation. But because they have been placed in the rotation since the start, they've become normalized, and we don't see people like Lethul and Frosty complain about them (maybe rarely, also I don't mean to single them out). But I can GUARANTEE that if these gametypes weren't already in the rotation and 343 was trying to add them in, the entire pro community would be complaining, including those who don't already complain about those gametypes.

My point is that no radar needs to be normalized for people to form the most genuine opinion possible about how it plays. For as long as it is just played out of personal curiosity/for fun, it is too easy for pros to hold it in contempt.

I don't mean to imply that pros are incapable of holding valuable opinions or anything, but this is the way it has been in respect to pros' thoughts on gametype/settings changes since Reach.

Hello there. Breakout was in at the beginning of Halo 5. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm enjoying the conversation here, I think this is good for us to understand that nothing is so simple when making changes. Like, something is worse because people are not used to yet or will be worse even when the pros get used to? I'm talking about everything, radar, weapon changes, etc. Sometimes some changes look good on paper, but are worse when you test it. We all need to learn from this, maybe 343 really test some things and they don't work out, but then they don't communicate so well for us to understand that. We need to understand that not everything we think is good will be good. 343 needs to communicate better why they make some changes and not others.

I started watching competitive Halo this year, i think no radar will be better, but i watched a lot of awesome series this year with radar on. So, if they keep it or don't, I will watch it.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So far these are the teams that are currently playing together with their predicted orgs:

OG - same

NV - same

E6 - Stellur Contra Shooter Bubu Dubu

ALG - Suspector Str8 Sick PreDevonator El Town

LG - Danoxide Spartan Naded Cratos

The remaining teams & orgs that haven't played:

TL - Penguin Commonly Rayne

SR - Eco APG Ace Heinz

EG - Roy Ninja Lunchbox 

That would leave Falcated and Victory X without a team right now.

Someone please let me know if I've missed anything.

Cratos on LG?

EDIT: I just saw Spartan's stream, it will be interesting to see Naded and Cratos team again since they used to fight during the ALG days.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, I am not comfortable with this change for the world championship. I want the best team to win and if they put in no radar, I have a feeling that won't be the case.

If they do make the change for Worlds the team that learns how to play no radar the fastest will have the greatest chance of winning.

I honestly like that idea, a lot.

After a while you hit the ceiling of teams getting better and you need to shake things up in such a way that teams can't rest of their laurels. In the past we've had enough gametype changes but this time around things have stayed much the same.

Heading into next year with a level playing field would be ideal and I think no radar is a good way to do that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Huge Naded fan but don't like Cratos, at all. Hmm.

Been saying for awhile I would 200% prefer a spartan ability only radar over no radar.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Maybe because everyone is used to using radar as an awareness crutch and camping corners like fucking cowards for the past year. You're just throwing around a bunch of meaningless buzzwords. I know change is hard, but we're getting dangerously close to the casual kids who think staring on their motion tracker is a key part of skillfull Halo. Funnily enough, the kids who think radar was completely essential in the older games make the EXACT same argument being made now. "Oh, it's too random with my crutch! I need that information to make strategic decisions!" Literally exactly the same garbage.

​Shit, dude. Have you forgotten how long it took for the competitive meta to devolve into what it is now? It took MONTHS for everyone to really start abusing stupid bullshit like radar and overpowered autos. Maybe give more than a few days for a meta built around the absence of that noob-friendly mechanic to form before making dramatic statements about "randomness" and the best team winning? Or don't. Whichever.

I wasn't the only one to say, but obviously willing to give it a try. Just stating my initial feelings, and I've been following competitive Halo since the very day it started. I know what you're talking about. 

If they do make the change for Worlds the team that learns how to play no radar the fastest will have the greatest chance of winning.

I honestly like that idea, a lot.

After a while you hit the ceiling of teams getting better and you need to shake things up in such a way that teams can't rest of their laurels. In the past we've had enough gametype changes but this time around things have stayed much the same.

Heading into next year with a level playing field would be ideal and I think no radar is a good way to do that.

I am not a fan of changes done to "equalize the field". I want someone to actually dethrone a dominant team. The impact of NV beating OG is a lot bigger to due to that.